DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

*Serious caution regarding battery insertion*

Brockrock

Reactions
This is something that I have posted about in the past with both the P4 series and the Mavic 2 - both of which I own - but it is particularity applicable to the Mavic Air 2 IMO.

The MA2 battery retention clips are now metal which allows for them to make contact with metal plates within the battery bay for the purposes of useful feedback if the battery is not fully and properly installed. This is all very nice, but take a close look at the flanges that these metal battery clips hook beneath. They are made of plastic, and they are fairly thin. If you place the battery into the battery bay and then simply press it inward until it makes that clicking sound, you will very likely wear down the plastic flanges over time, and since this is not plastic against plastic as it is with the P4 and M2 series copters - but rather metal against plastic - this wear will occur fairly quickly.

IMO, the safest method of installing a battery into the MA2 is to place it gently into the bay until it sits properly aligned upon the retention clips, and then press the retention clips inward with the removal tabs followed by gently pressing the battery straight downward until it is fully seated. This avoids the metal clips 'snapping' over the plastic flanges, and will not wear them down over time.

Last edited:
This is something that I have posted about in the past with both the P4 series and the Mavic 2 - both of which I own - but it is particularity applicable to the Mavic Air 2 IMO.

The MA2 battery retention clips are now metal which allows for them to make contact with metal plates within the battery bay for the purposes of useful feedback if the battery is not fully and properly installed. This is all very nice, but take a close look at the flanges that these metal battery clips hook beneath. They are made of plastic, and they are fairly thin. If you place the battery into the battery bay and then simply press it inward until it makes that clicking sound, you will very likely wear down the plastic flanges over time, and since this is not plastic against plastic as it is with the P4 and M2 series copters - but rather metal against plastic - this wear will occur fairly quickly.

IMO, the safest method of installing a battery into the MA2 is to place it gently into the bay until it sits properly aligned upon the retention clips, and then press the retention clips inward with the removal tabs followed by gently pressing the battery straight downward until it is fully seated. This avoids the metal clips 'snapping' over the plastic flanges, and will not wear them down over time.
I agree with that. Discovered this myself sometime ago (Mav Platinum) Cheers Merv F Perth Australia.

I agree with that. Discovered this myself sometime ago (Mav Platinum) Cheers Merv F Perth Australia.
Cheers. Happy Flying!

It depends on a couple factors, especially what kind of plastic they used and what coefficient of friction it has. There are ramps in the plastic and the metal parts on the battery are also ramped to minimize wear. You would need to remove and insert the battery an absurd number of times to wear it out.

Reactions: Mitch
It depends on a couple factors, especially what kind of plastic they used and what coefficient of friction it has. There are ramps in the plastic and the metal parts on the battery are also ramped to minimize wear. You would need to remove and insert the battery an absurd number of times to wear it out.
I fully agree that DJI designed this new attachment style very well and with some obvious thought. But choosing between snapping it in or carefully placing it in as suggested above, I am going with the careful approach. Metal snapping against plastic is never good in the long run, especially if it's easily avoidable...IMO of course.

Thanks for the heads up on this, I hadn’t realized it at first but as soon as I took a closer look it was very apparent. I’ve switched to the careful method of seating the batteries now.

Reactions: Brockrock
Glad you found this helpful. Happy Flying!

Thanks for the tip. Checked it out and "click". I will be more particular now.

Reactions: Brockrock
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent