DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Set battery

Oman

Premium Pilot
Reactions
How do you set battery warning on controller in upper right of the screen , such as Until RTH , Until Forced Landing and Until battery Depleted. When I touch green battery remaining circle a window drops down and all the settings are at zero. I'am new and having a little trouble.
Thank you Oman

How do you set battery warning on controller in upper right of the screen , such as Until RTH , Until Forced Landing and Until battery Depleted. When I touch green battery remaining circle a window drops down and all the settings are at zero. I'am new and having a little trouble.
Thank you Oman
You can not set an alert for battery on the DJI Fly app. It just shows you what the app estimates and warns you accordingly.

Reactions: pommy
You can not set an alert for battery on the DJI Fly app. It just shows you what the app estimates and warns you accordingly.
Spot on. You used to be able to set it on the GO4 app at one time I recall.

It's good to be aware that (once in flight) the readings are dynamic. That is, you can expect an earlier critical battery landing if you fly at high altitudes or far away - and if you fly far away and then return to a closer range, the time to RTH will increase again :)

It's good to be aware that (once in flight) the readings are dynamic. That is, you can expect an earlier critical battery landing if you fly at high altitudes or far away - and if you fly far away and then return to a closer range, the time to RTH will increase again :)
Thank you for the info

Thank you for the info.
Regards Oman

I'm lost. Your saying the alarm that the controller uses for the battery life can't be adjusted? My MP2 was able to be set for a percentage of battery life left, so you'd have time to navigate home.
Just to be clear:
My controller for the Air 2S battery alarm goes of and only gives me 10 seconds to land, before it does it for me. Not cool. Anyone got an idea of a fix?

I'm lost. Your saying the alarm that the controller uses for the battery life can't be adjusted? My MP2 was able to be set for a percentage of battery life left, so you'd have time to navigate home.
Just to be clear:
My controller for the Air 2S battery alarm goes of and only gives me 10 seconds to land, before it does it for me. Not cool. Anyone got an idea of a fix?
That's not true. You probably misunderstand the new system.
In the battery percentage circle, there are three colors: Green - normal flight; Orange - time to use for returning; Red - Forced landing.

During the green portion of the battery life, nothing will happen - flight as normal.

When the battery percentage reaches the orange portion, the following will happen:
  • You will hear "The battery level is low, the aircraft will go to the homepoint in 10 seconds"
  • You will see a pop-up message asking you what do you want to do, cancel and keep flying (caution) or Auto Return to home. I personally click cancel, fly for about 20 - 30 seconds more, finish the shot (if I was recording one) and return manually using the sticks
  • If you ignore that message and don't click anything in 10 seconds, the drone will start returning to you. You can click cancel on the screen or the pause button on the remote to stop the auto RTH.
  • If you didn't do anything, and didn't even stop RTH, after hovering over the homepoint, it will start landing.

When the battery percentage reaches the red portion, the following will happen:
  • You will see a pop-up message saying that the drone will land in 10 seconds. You can't cancel this message
  • After these 10 seconds the drone will start landing! You can still move it around, but it will be slow, less responsive and going down automatically.
  • If you hold the throttle (left) stick up then you can make it go up a little, and not descend.

If you don't land it in time the battery will eventually reach 0% which is very dangerous. The following will happen:
  • The drone will still allow you to fly it for a bit if the battery is in good condition, but that's NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL. If you see your battery level going below 5%, and you're still not landed, do so immediately in a safe manner.
  • The drone will fly until one of the cells reaches 3.0V, then it will just very fast land and you can't do anything.
  • If the mentioned above happened, you REALLY need to be careful, as if it reaches 3.0V on any cell and starts fast-landing not on a safe area this could damage something or injure someone. If the drone didn't have time enough to land, it eventually will just fall and the battery will never charge again.

Finally, a word of caution: This system doesn't count the wind, so if you fly with the wind somewhere far away and you just reached the orange section, you probably will not have time to return to your homepoint, keep in mind the direction of the wind when flying, ALWAYS.

How do I know that? Well, I learned it the hard way, and actually 2 times landed on 0% battery, I was lucky, but that doesn't mean that you will have the same luck flying to 0%, just DON'T DO THAT...
Keep it safe

A tip to know the direction of the wind: So while we're talking about wind here, how do you know where the wind is heading without checking any app like Windy. There is an easy way to do it inside the DJI Fly app. Here is the step-by-step instruction:

1. Hover the drone steady, don't move it. Wait for it to stop (normally takes a few seconds)
  2. Click on the map icon on the bottom left to preview it (in the small window, don't make it full-screen)
  3. Click on the compass icon like shown in the image below:1637874957329.png
  4. In the compass you will see two gray lines, this is the inclination of the drone. The drone will always be incline into the wind. Let me see an example. In the image below I indicated with the arrow where the wind is heading, and with the orange circles, the lines I was talking about:1637874890126.png

there are several differences between the old GO4 app and the new fly app ,and some of the settings ,that we got used to in the GO4app,have been omitted from the fly app, i fly using both apps with my drones ,and i sometimes wonder, if the fly app was really a step forwards ,with some of its missing settings, i guess if you had only flown a newer drone using the fly app ,then you would not miss them,it seems to me that DJI simplified the fly app with the advent of the original MM, and are now gradually adding features, as the drones using the fly app become more advanced with added capabilities,

That's not true. You probably misunderstand the new system.
In the battery percentage circle, there are three colors: Green - normal flight; Orange - time to use for returning; Red - Forced landing.

During the green portion of the battery life, nothing will happen - flight as normal.

When the battery percentage reaches the orange portion, the following will happen:
  • You will hear "The battery level is low, the aircraft will go to the homepoint in 10 seconds"
  • You will see a pop-up message asking you what do you want to do, cancel and keep flying (caution) or Auto Return to home. I personally click cancel, fly for about 20 - 30 seconds more, finish the shot (if I was recording one) and return manually using the sticks
  • If you ignore that message and don't click anything in 10 seconds, the drone will start returning to you. You can click cancel on the screen or the pause button on the remote to stop the auto RTH.
  • If you didn't do anything, and didn't even stop RTH, after hovering over the homepoint, it will start landing.

When the battery percentage reaches the red portion, the following will happen:
  • You will see a pop-up message saying that the drone will land in 10 seconds. You can't cancel this message
  • After these 10 seconds the drone will start landing! You can still move it around, but it will be slow, less responsive and going down automatically.
  • If you hold the throttle (left) stick up then you can make it go up a little, and not descend.

If you don't land it in time the battery will eventually reach 0% which is very dangerous. The following will happen:
  • The drone will still allow you to fly it for a bit if the battery is in good condition, but that's NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL. If you see your battery level going below 5%, and you're still not landed, do so immediately in a safe manner.
  • The drone will fly until one of the cells reaches 3.0V, then it will just very fast land and you can't do anything.
  • If the mentioned above happened, you REALLY need to be careful, as if it reaches 3.0V on any cell and starts fast-landing not on a safe area this could damage something or injure someone. If the drone didn't have time enough to land, it eventually will just fall and the battery will never charge again.

Finally, a word of caution: This system doesn't count the wind, so if you fly with the wind somewhere far away and you just reached the orange section, you probably will not have time to return to your homepoint, keep in mind the direction of the wind when flying, ALWAYS.

How do I know that? Well, I learned it the hard way, and actually 2 times landed on 0% battery, I was lucky, but that doesn't mean that you will have the same luck flying to 0%, just DON'T DO THAT...
Keep it safe

A tip to know the direction of the wind: So while we're talking about wind here, how do you know where the wind is heading without checking any app like Windy. There is an easy way to do it inside the DJI Fly app. Here is the step-by-step instruction:

1. Hover the drone steady, don't move it. Wait for it to stop (normally takes a few seconds)
  2. Click on the map icon on the bottom left to preview it (in the small window, don't make it full-screen)
  3. Click on the compass icon like shown in the image below:View attachment 139066
  4. In the compass you will see two gray lines, this is the inclination of the drone. The drone will always be incline into the wind. Let me see an example. In the image below I indicated with the arrow where the wind is heading, and with the orange circles, the lines I was talking about:View attachment 139064

I thought the blue arrow indicates the current fly direction of the drone. If I let the drone hover for a few second, that indicates the direction of the wind as well?

I thought the blue arrow indicates the current fly direction of the drone. If I let the drone hover for a few second, that indicates the direction of the wind as well?

I'm not talking about the blue arrow, I'm talking about the two gray/white lines on the left and right of the arrow, the ones I highlighted in orange in my screenshot.

I'm not talking about the blue arrow, I'm talking about the two gray/white lines on the left and right of the arrow, the ones I highlighted in orange in my screenshot.

Which side of the gray/white line indicate the direction of the wind? The side facing the blue arrow?

Which side of the gray/white line indicate the direction of the wind? The side facing the blue arrow?

The white lines directly indicate the inclination of the drone which indirectly can tell you which direction is upwind. No wind and no motion of the drone, the white lines will be level aside the middle of the drone indicator. No motion of the drone and wind from dead ahead, the white lines will be level, but forward of the middle of the drone indicator. No motion of the drone and wind from dead astern the white lines will be level but aft of the middle of the drone indicator. No motion of the drone, but wind from starboard the right white line will be lower than the left white line and both white lines will be towards the middle of the drone indicator. No motion of the drone and wind from port the left line will be lower than the right and both will be towards the middle of the drone indicator.

Basically if the drone is hovering over a point and there is wind, the drone will tilt into the wind to hold position. The white lines indicate that tilt.

Howard

Reactions: Cosmo0g and Yaros
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu