DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Setting a “floor” or minimum height

pogopilot

Reactions
I fly over water a lot. I have already put one of my birds in the drink. I think it would be great if there was the ability to set a minimum height for any particular mission by entering an altitude or set the minimum height at the current altitude (while in a mission). This way no matter what you do, the drone will not decend below that height and you can relax and concentrate more on taking photos or video.

That would work over a flat body of water , but anywhere else it would get people into trouble , I've flown up my local river and you have to change height as you go up river , up over the various falls , and someone would definitely use it over land and crash .

This is a really good idea. I have been working on taking video of surfers and one has to get down close to the water and in close to get good footage. Surely, one could set a minimum height of, say, 2m and even if the water surface is moving then the drone would maintain that minimum height. Its nerve wracking trying to fly backwards and slightly to one side to track a surfer who is moving forward on a wave that is moving perpendicular to the surfer.

Be careful over water ... DJI have tried ultrasonics and infra-red as downward-looking sensors, but neither work anywhere near 100% when the drone is above water - due to absorption - and also reflection due to the rippling of the water by the prop' downwash. My Mavic Pro Platinum has a 'Terrain Follow' mode that works well when you are flying toward ascending ground, but it won't follow descending terrain ...

Yes, a good idea, but it'd have to be set up so the minimum altitude is (for example) 2m of home point . . . if taking off from a beach.
If you took off from an elevated position, then it would be more complicated and a setting of negative altitude would need to be done carefully.

Of course a moot point, as there is no way to set altitude as described above.
Maybe this is better overall, makes pilots be more observant (or at least it should) flying in all types of situations.

I’ve asked this multiple times and still not sure why not. Would be no purpose to set over land or if in a river that changes etc... but for us that have oceans or lakes it would be great to set at what ever that minimum height is we do not want to go lower than. I mostly fly over water and film boats etc... hate being concerned that my heavy left fingers might be slightly pulling the left stick down .
It’s really not that complicated. Or am I missing something?
Come on DJI

Reactions: Jurgen
I’ve asked this multiple times and still not sure why not. Would be no purpose to set over land or if in a river that changes etc... but for us that have oceans or lakes it would be great to set at what ever that minimum height is we do not want to go lower than. I mostly fly over water and film boats etc... hate being concerned that my heavy left fingers might be slightly pulling the left stick down .
It’s really not that complicated. Or am I missing something?
Come on DJI
Just to be sure... you realize that DJI does not monitor this forum and you need to contact them directly or on their forums to get your request to them. Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+