DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Setting a max speed

SpottedinEly

Reactions
I have being doing some work lately that requires a flight of about 500 yards with lots of turns and up and down movements.

With so much to think about I'd like to move forward at a certain speed at a constant. About 5km/h.

Is this possible?

Did you try 'Tripod mode'?

It is a little slower than your desired target, but perhaps close enough?

Alternatively 'Tap Fly' offers a speed setting but may not allow the amount of manoeuvring you require.

Yes.

Fixed-wing mode. Controlling the aircraft is a bit different, however, so go to an open field and practice flying in this mode a ton before you actually use it.

Yes.

Fixed-wing mode. Controlling the aircraft is a bit different, however, so go to an open field and practice flying in this mode a ton before you actually use it.
This likely won't be a great option for the OP since it requires a minimum speed of 3 m/s (10.8 km/h) and does not allow tight turns or other stick movements.

This likely won't be a great option for the OP since it requires a minimum speed of 3 m/s (10.8 km/h) and does not allow tight turns or other stick movements.
Understood, but it is a solution to the basic functionality requested (constant speed without control input).

I guess we can let the OP figure out what's best for him ;)

Reactions: Bunny Too
Yes.

Don't forget fixed-wing mode cannot be activated until the Mavic is at 10km/h (3m/s) or higher, plus it's very 'unresponsive' in this mode, kind of flies like a fixed-wing aircraft ;).

EDIT: Already answered above: shouldn't have got up for coffee between writing and posting

Last edited:
You can use the Tap to Fly. When you are flying, you can change the direction normally. I use it like an Cruise Speed.

Fixed wing mode is not suitable for work since it's intended to show the aircraft movements (unless you have something special where the effect is desired...).
But TapFly is indeed what he probably wants. Alternatively, 3rd party apps.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll have a play and find something. I've also downloaded Litchi so lets see if that has anything

Litchi + Litchi Hub should make it pretty easy to do what you want. Well, depending on what you mean by "lots". You can set a "cruise" speed, though, and then lay down a series of waypoints all in a line, and adjust the height/rotation angle for each as necessary.

Use the DJI MP Pro app and totally pre-plan your flight, you can set waypoints, speeds, heights, camera angles the lot in advance

Yes I tried waypoints. I need to adjust height as I go so wasn't really suitable.
to fix you speed you could limit the range of your stick mechanically by either 3d printing a ring that fits in there or taping sth to your remote...sounds bad i know but might be enough for your needs, whatever they are exactly :D also you can decrease the sensitivity a lot to make it easier to obtain the speed you need.
also look into autopilot

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7