DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Setting POI without flying drone over POI?

kabonski

Reactions
Is it possible to set a POI for an orbit shot or as a waypoint without physically flying the unit over the point? I'm hoping there is an option similar to the 3DR Solo where you can use the aerial map to set your POI.

If not, what do people do if they want to orbit a crowd or road or something else you should not be flying over?

Thanks for any advise!

Reactions: LaaLaa
Is it possible to set a POI for an orbit shot or as a waypoint without physically flying the unit over the point? I'm hoping there is an option similar to the 3DR Solo where you can use the aerial map to set your POI.

If not, what do people do if they want to orbit a crowd or road or something else you should not be flying over?

Thanks for any advise!

Not sure if DJI Go 4 can do that, but I believe Litchi can do this. If it is a physical structure you can just use the satellite map to identify it and assign an action. However, if it is a object that is not on a map, you can use track mode (even for objects that don't move) and tell it to orbit or you can move the drone as camera stays focused on the object. I think that should work.

DJI go4 can't but Litchi does.

You can plan you POI (or POIs for waypoints mission) entirely from satellite maps on your home commuter or on your tablet/phone when out in the field before you even power up the drone.

Reactions: kabonski
Awesome, sounds like it's a must have app if you want some extra functionality! Any other nice features worth mentioning in Litchi?

DJI_0719a.JPG I was recently flying around St Michael's Mount (a small castle on a little island off the coast of Cornwall). It's run by the National Trust and I was approached by a member of staff as they boarded a boat to get to the island.

She said she was happy for me to film as long as I stayed on the beach areas around the island and not over the main part. I assured her that was my intention.

Using Litchi I was able to set up my POI (where as I couldn't with Go4 without upsetting the NT) and configure my radius to avoid straying too far on land.

The other BIG plus point is that as I knew I was going to be flying behind the rock that castle is built on - and therefore I was liable to lose connection with a few thousand tons of rock in the way. Litchi keeps flying on a lost connection, so, just like the lunar Apollo missions as my drone disappeared I had a "blackout" for about 20 seconds (felt like 20 mins!) of list connection. Then it all came back as it re-emerged from the other side to complete the flight.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaaLaa
Awesome, sounds like it's a must have app if you want some extra functionality! Any other nice features worth mentioning in Litchi?

Focus mode is very useful - you assign a point and fly the done as you want while litchi keeps the camera pointing at your subject. Great for doing fly-aways as you can climb away and the gimbal keeps the subject in frame.

Waypoint missions produce very stable and smooth video - the ability set things up before you leave home on a big PC screen is fantastic. I'm off to Portugal in a couple of weeks and I'm already planning missions!

It also does FPV (with the phone mounted in goggles) but I've not been brave enough to try that.

As I mentioned in my pervious post - Waypoint missions are stored in the drone and don't need connection to the controller to complete. So with Litchi (not Go4) you can fly your drone behind an obstacle (tall building or mountain top) and know she'll still come home after completing the flight. No way to program "dead" waypoints in Go4 as you cant fly the drone there!

Reactions: kabonski

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98