DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Setting return to home altitude when taking off from a high position

waydownhere

Reactions
Hi guys, completely new here as well as new to the mavic, I'm expecting delivery in a few days and really excited!

I have a question about the return to home altitude: I'm planning to fly it in hilly/mountainous terrain soon, taking off from the summit of a hill about 1000ft/300m high. Yeah take off spot is surrounded by trees, so I want to make sure that should I use RTH the mavic doesn't fly into them. When I set the return to home altitude for this flight, would I do this relative to the take off point (so for example 150ft/50m), or rather the absolute height (1150ft/350m)?

Thanks so much for any input, I'm sure I'll be bugging you all with many more stupid questions in the future, and hope to share some great footage soon!

RTH is always and only relative the the home point (take off point). The Mavic knows nothing about where it's at relative to sea level.

Not sure if it knows nothing about location height above sea level. My flight record summary shows max takeoff altitude at 509.3 metres.

Not sure if it knows nothing about location height above sea level. My flight record summary shows max takeoff altitude at 509.3 metres.

I guess that it knows it from the GPS, yet it does not use it when it has to RTH. For RTH it uses the altitude above ground at takeoff point (and this one I assume it measures via its internal barometer).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS