DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Setting to avoid jerky and quick side to side movements in video

waverider969

Reactions
Can anyone recomend what I need to set and what values to avoid quick and jerky panning in my videos when flying around. I'd like to have a smother way to pan left and right but I'm also wondering if by slowing that down I'd be slowing down my turnining responce time while flying. What do you guys do to have good video but stil have good flights?

Instead of numbing down your flight settings (there already is tripod mode), try using gentle yaw stick inputs while filming. That combined with a very slow gimbal pitch setting, will produce smooth video, without compromising performance when you need it.

I've been filing aerial for years and believe me, it works.

I've tried being gentle and it still seems kinda fast. Guess more practice needed or something.

I noticed the latest update came with a Cinema setting which I believe is intended to do just what you are describing. You'll find it under intelligent flight modes.

I believe this will in fact make your machine less nimble, but unfortunately I think this is one of those areas where you can't have your cake and eat it too. Unless you learn to be extremely gentle with the control inputs (which takes considerable practice) you're going to have to be OK with sacrificing agility for smooth footage.

My preference is to slow down the Yaw setting so the aircraft does not spin so fast while rotating.

Reactions: dwstewart
simply be gentle on the sticks... Press gently and wait for the response...

both of these shot in sport mode with no mods to the control sensitivity...

Reactions: MurMan
simply be gentle on the sticks... Press gently and wait for the response...

both of these shot in sport mode with no mods to the control sensitivity...
Wow that was nice footage.
What resolution did you shoot in?
Thanks,
Guy

Increase the yaw expo. It'll help you be more gentle with your panning, and without actually decreasing the end points, you can still turn quickly if needed.

It's probably partly how you use the sticks.
To get the sweeping curves synced with miniscule yaw, and very slow turns I'm resting my hand (or rather edge of fingers with Mavic!) on the controller body and applying a pressure rather than actually holding the sticks.
Mavic seems considerably easier to get a steady motion than Phantoms.

Reactions: Scapegoat
My preference is to slow down the Yaw setting so the aircraft does not spin so fast while rotating.
What's a good setting number. I have no idea how those number work. Same going to cinema mode there are adjustments I have no idea what values to use

What's a good setting number. I have no idea how those number work. Same going to cinema mode there are adjustments I have no idea what values to use

Tons of videos on YouTube and threads on settings. My sensitivities are turned down and you still have to barely breath on the sticks to get smooth video. I'm sure it's a practice thing so don't expect to get it on the first try.

I don't give out settings numbers on something like that. The reason is, because different device combos do not perform the same. Also, the most important part is that we learn what needs to be done by hands-ons experience. Rather than give you a number to plug in, I would prefer giving some good advice. What I have the locals do is 1st research what Yaw is and the benefits to adjusting it. Rather then posting a book about it, let me say what works best for me. You do not need to fly the aircraft ( a/c) on a long flight to do the needed tweaking. I like to hover the a/c around 15-20ft in a area that is not congested. This will let you look at the a/c instead of relying on the monitor. Adjust the Yaw settings base on what you physically see the a/c doing from what setting you set it at. Say your adjustment span allows it to be set somewhere between 50-150. Make a note what the current setting was, then go ahead and set it at 50 and see how slow or fast it rotates when you move the sticks all the way on (100%). Now it will be just a matter of finding the setting that works best for you.

Reactions: MurMan
Can anyone recomend what I need to set and what values to avoid quick and jerky panning in my videos when flying around. I'd like to have a smother way to pan left and right but I'm also wondering if by slowing that down I'd be slowing down my turnining responce time while flying. What do you guys do to have good video but stil have good flights?

I'm using the settings described in this video and so far, I'm happy with the results: Ultimate DJI Mavic setup hacks! How to get super-smooth pro-looking drone footage

Mike

I don't give out settings numbers on something like that. The reason is, because different device combos do not perform the same. Also, the most important part is that we learn what needs to be done by hands-ons experience. Rather than give you a number to plug in, I would prefer giving some good advice. What I have the locals do is 1st research what Yaw is and the benefits to adjusting it. Rather then posting a book about it, let me say what works best for me. You do not need to fly the aircraft ( a/c) on a long flight to do the needed tweaking. I like to hover the a/c around 15-20ft in a area that is not congested. This will let you look at the a/c instead of relying on the monitor. Adjust the Yaw settings base on what you physically see the a/c doing from what setting you set it at. Say your adjustment span allows it to be set somewhere between 50-150. Make a note what the current setting was, then go ahead and set it at 50 and see how slow or fast it rotates when you move the sticks all the way on (100%). Now it will be just a matter of finding the setting that works best for you.

Your saying that the same settings on one Mavic will preform differently on another?

Your saying that the same settings on one Mavic will preform differently on another?

It's possible, yes. The operating system can dictate performance as well as different firmware versions. Then add that in with the guy who is lazy with properly calibrating, and you will be guaranteed to witness differences.

Changing the settings will help but I always find moving your thumb from the top of the controller stick to the base and just applying small amounts of pressure gives you a much smoother control.

I hope this makes sense.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa