DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Setting waypoints for Mavic Air 2

Xooterpust

Reactions
Haven't done any waypoint flying yet. From what I've seen so far, you have to fly to the waypoint and mark it in order to set the waypoints. Seems redundant, so . . .
  • Is there a way to simply mark on the map in satellite view the waypoints you want to fly to and then tell the drone to do that?
  • Will the flight path be stored in the drone or must it maintain contact with the controller the whole flight for its instructions?
  • Do waypoints work the same on the Air 2S?

I didn't know what Litchi is. When I searched for a definition it came up as a misspelling for a food. Then when I Googled it I came up with an app for Apple and Android. Is it an app that controls the flight of the drone?

I didn't know what Litchi is. When I searched for a definition it came up as a misspelling for a food. Then when I Googled it I came up with an app for Apple and Android. Is it an app that controls the flight of the drone?

FYI !

Litchi is not fully supported with the Mavic Air 2.

From the Litchi site...

"Litchi is compatible with: Mavic Mini 1, Mavic 2 (Zoom/Pro), Mavic (Air/Pro), Phantom 4 (Standard/Advanced/Pro/ProV2), Phantom 3 (Standard/4K/Advanced/Professional), Inspire 1 (X3/Z3/Pro/RAW), Inspire 2 and Spark."

I think there is a Beta version out for testing. ?

Here are some search results from the past.

Haven't done any waypoint flying yet. From what I've seen so far, you have to fly to the waypoint and mark it in order to set the waypoints. Seems redundant, so . . .
  • Is there a way to simply mark on the map in satellite view the waypoints you want to fly to and then tell the drone to do that?
  • Will the flight path be stored in the drone or must it maintain contact with the controller the whole flight for its instructions?
Third-party apps. Maven, Litchi and Dronelink. I use Maven.

Be aware that when using third-party apps (Maven, Litchi and Dronelink, etc) with your DJI drone, if you have “damage caused by using your DJI product together with a non-DJI product or third-party accessory/software that is not authorized by DJI,” such losses, expenses, and liabilities are not covered by the replacement service.

For waypoints on my MA2 I use Maven but I'm taking a look at Dronelink as well. The SDK is not out for the Air 2S yet so you are limited to the MA2 for waypoint missions currently. Anything using the Fly app will be virtual sticks so if you lose RC connection, the mission will abort.

I've done two videos using Litchi waypoints. I love it. find it at flylitchi.com. Download it for your desktop/tablet and one for your smartphone. Create an account. You can used your desktop/tablet to program a mission. Before you fly, when you have wifi available, download the mission to your controller and smartphone in the Litchi App.
It works great.
I have the Beta for the Mavic Air 2.

Maven is a apple only app
I'll give Dronelink a try.
I have used Litchi and liked it but it's still in Beta for the Mavic Air 2 which scares me.
I used with a PHP3 pro and it worked great.

Last edited:
Make sure your drone is supported by any 3rd party flight control app. DJI has not released their DJI applications interface for several DJI models, and as a result they don't work.

I have another question about waypoints in the DJI fly app and the Air 2S

can you set the point of interest so the camera looks at a certain point while it’s flying the mission, like you can in Litchi?

This is why I use the Litchi App for my M2Pro. You can completely build your waypoint mission without connection to the drone so it really saves on battery and just convenience. You just program the waypoints using the Ipad (Mini 5 in my case) at your desk or anywhere with no drone. It stores in memory and you just call it up when ready to fly. I'm not positive that Litchi works with Air 2s but check. Litchi waypoints programming is MUCH easier than wit DJI Apps but not so good for following or tracking. You can also set waypoints by flying manually (in waypoints) to a location and pressing the C1 button to mark the waypoint.

This is why I use the Litchi App for my M2Pro. You can completely build your waypoint mission without connection to the drone so it really saves on battery and just convenience. You just program the waypoints using the Ipad (Mini 5 in my case) at your desk or anywhere with no drone. It stores in memory and you just call it up when ready to fly. I'm not positive that Litchi works with Air 2s but check. Litchi waypoints programming is MUCH easier than wit DJI Apps but not so good for following or tracking. You can also set waypoints by flying manually (in waypoints) to a location and pressing the C1 button to mark the waypoint.

The beta version of Litchi (and so far ONLY the beta version) works with the Mavic Air 2, but neither it nor any other waypoint app works with the Air 2s because DJI has not yet released the software development kit (SDK) for the Air 2s.

Dronelink works with the Air 2 and is available for both iOS and Android. Maven works with the Air 2 but is only available for iOS.

ALL apps for either the Air 2 or Air 2s will only work while there is a signal connection between the drone and the controller (i.e., "virtual sticks") because that's the way DJI has built them, and based upon a quoted reply from DJI to a forum member I saw here a few months ago DJI has no plans whatever to change that. If you lose signal contact with the drone the drone will abort the mission and do whatever you have it programmed to do for that condition.. As best I can tell DJI intends for all of their future consumer grade drones to operate that way, possibly to appease government regulators in the U.S. and Europe who are concerned about how these drones are used. I think DJI enterprise level drones that generally require Type 107 licenses will still allow autonomous waypoint control ... not sure about that though.

Sorry for a basic question but if I had a 3rd party app that I would use for waypoints, for other (normal) flights, can you open the DJI app - ie: switch between the two as needed?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada