DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Settings to lose strobing from footage of highway billboard

kevin_kss

Reactions
So I have to shoot a video of a billboard. Trouble is.. it strobes something fierce. I tried to change shutter speed from 640 to 800 to 1000 but no avail

tried to change frame rate from 30 to 24 to 48 to 60 to 96... still strobes..

I guess next up I could try the 180 rule.. shutter = 2 x frame rate... guess I might need ND filter to cut down the light..
if I do 60 fps I need 120 shutter... lots of light...

just checking if anyone else had this issue and they did the 180 rule to fix it.. wasnt sure if billboards do something strange
with refresh rate etc... see all the artifacts in the video still ?? ugly..

thanks in advance..billboard.png

If it is electronic billboard then it is the refresh rate of the sign causing issue??

60Hz, 100hz ?

Reactions: Thomas B
If it is electronic billboard then it is the refresh rate of the sign causing issue??

60Hz, 100hz ?
yes its an electronic one... what can I attempt to change to make it look normal. I know it can, I saw someone elses video of a billboard and it looked nice.. just a tad of strobe, mine is crazy..just not sure what to mess with.

So I have to shoot a video of a billboard. Trouble is.. it strobes something fierce. I tried to change shutter speed from 640 to 800 to 1000 but no avail

tried to change frame rate from 30 to 24 to 48 to 60 to 96... still strobes..

I guess next up I could try the 180 rule.. shutter = 2 x frame rate... guess I might need ND filter to cut down the light..
if I do 60 fps I need 120 shutter... lots of light...

just checking if anyone else had this issue and they did the 180 rule to fix it.. wasnt sure if billboards do something strange
with refresh rate etc... see all the artifacts in the video still ?? ugly..

thanks in advance..View attachment 82439
You need to change your anti-flicker settings to 60hz.51562739-F4AC-4FFF-9D7F-5F9AEBE89F5F.png
Even then you might need some vfx engine anti-flicker love as well

Reactions: Thomas B and Redleg
no luck.. I tried lots of things..

tried the anti flicker.. on 50 and 60hz.. and auto.. no luck
tried to do the 180 rule.. no luck.. then I tried to just
change frame rates and shutter speed up and down the gamit.. still no luck.

not sure what else to try..

Well like I said you are still gonna need some work in post to fix it. The anti-flicker settings on the camera is just gonna help it’s not gonna fix it totally.

Here’s the simplest method for fixing this. It’s shown in Premier Pro but the method applies for any editor.

Watch this

Shoot a hyperlapse of it, and save the original images, and splice it in with the rest of your video, leaving out the bad frames, or just shoot a still frame of it at a longer exposure, and superimpose that over your video.

maybe I should not use the name "flicker" its not like normal flicker from CRT or LED.. I tried the overlay/offset frame stuff that didnt do anything either.. look at this video.. this is what I'm seeing. I have a friend in the movie industry and he said shutter of 1/144 is what they had to set their camera's at to lose it.. but we cant set the mavic at whatever you want right ? its set pic list based on your FPS..

Strobe removal tests

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett