DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sharing a TFR

theDRONEranger

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Sharing this as there are some out there that have never seen or experienced a change in airspace designation or a Presidential TFR. POTUS will be here Thursday. In and out rally at Colorado Springs World Arena. Politics aside, I just wanted to share a TFR for those that never experienced. This is really not an unusual occurance as we also play host to other VIPs at the Broadmoor Hotel for Space and Science Symposiums and the USAFA here as well.

Sharing this as there are some out there that have never seen or experienced a change in airspace designation or a Presidential TFR. POTUS will be here Thursday. In and out rally at Colorado Springs World Arena. Politics aside, I just wanted to share a TFR for those that never experienced. This is really not an unusual occurance as we also play host to other VIPs at the Broadmoor Hotel for Space and Science Symposiums and the USAFA here as well.

Good information sir. Thanks for sharing.

Yep that's your typical VIP TFR (30nm/10nm) and for anyone reading this... they don't take to busting VIP TFR's kindly. It's not worth it to "play around" with the Secret Service and DHS.

Don't be surprised if DJI Geofencing enforces this TFR, especially if it was published far enough in advance to be included in a flysafe database update.

Many have been surprised about being in an NFZ, only referencing LAANC which does not take TFR into account, when it was a TFR that triggered the NFZ, not the controlled airspace.

Reactions: BigAl07
Don't be surprised if DJI Geofencing enforces this TFR, especially if it was published far enough in advance to be included in a flysafe database update.

Many have been surprised about being in an NFZ, only referencing LAANC which does not take TFR into account, when it was a TFR that triggered the NFZ, not the controlled airspace.

Well said DM :)

What I do not get is the 30 nautical miles for a TFR. To me that is ridiculous. Even the most major airports it is 5 miles....

What I do not get is the 30 nautical miles for a TFR. To me that is ridiculous. Even the most major airports it is 5 miles....

It's not just for UAS... it's for ALL aircraft and the 30nm gives defense aircraft time to intercept etc. Bigger than "just" our UAS.

It's not just for UAS... it's for ALL aircraft and the 30nm gives defense aircraft time to intercept etc. Bigger than "just" our UAS.

I totally get that and understand, but still a UAS under X pounds could be easily excluded, or identified in a TFR. On say the President, I would likely agree.... but for a sporting event I highly disagree with 30nm.

FYI: ANYONE can subscribe to FAA email alerts for these based on your area, or the area in which you fly. It is good info to also avoid traffic mayhem on the ground due to these events...

CJS,
One thing we need to remember about sporting events is they make for a perfect venue for mass casualties. Open venues, i.e., the Broncos stadium in Denver. Could you just imagine the casualties, direct and indirect, from even a small single engine AC that crashes in the stands. How many direct injuries/death from the AC plus how many from the stampede. At least with a TFR, the opportunity is significantly lessened! Plus we need to watch out for those military AC fly overs.
I have never bothered to look, but do the enclosed venues have a TFR by chance?

CJS,
One thing we need to remember about sporting events is they make for a perfect venue for mass casualties. Open venues, i.e., the Broncos stadium in Denver. Could you just imagine the casualties, direct and indirect, from even a small single engine AC that crashes in the stands. How many direct injuries/death from the AC plus how many from the stampede. At least with a TFR, the opportunity is significantly lessened! Plus we need to watch out for those military AC fly overs.
I have never bothered to look, but do the enclosed venues have a TFR by chance?

I agree with what you are saying whole heartedly, but again, I'm not talking about over the venue.... I'm asking why a 30 MILE radius from the venue?... and more particularly, for small UAS's.

I agree with what you are saying whole heartedly, but again, I'm not talking about over the venue.... I'm asking why a 30 MILE radius from the venue?... and more particularly, for small UAS's.

So are you suggesting a special TFR just for UAS?

The 30nm range gives authorities time to track and assess what the aircraft is doing and decide what countermeasures, might be needed based on the aircraft type (plane, UAS, etc.) The sUAS isn't as much of their concern as the bigger UAS that can carry a payload, their are some that can carry 400lbs, be programmed and then sent to a target without any further input or control from a ground station. For a few years, large events like sporting events, Albuquerque Balloon Festival, Political Conventions, etc have been using portable CUAS, (CounterUAS), that can track, identify and disable/destroy UAS's. The TFRs just help us do our job and protect the people that are at these events. I work with CAUS systems and if we didn't have TFRs, it would make our job incredibly difficult with all the air traffic at those events. There are just temporary so they usually don't cause very many problems until you go to your favorite flying spot and find out you can't fly.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair