DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ship Spotting container ship

You could sell that footage to shutter stock or a similar company. Who knows...you might see it in a commercial or feature film!

You could sell that footage to shutter stock or a similar company. Who knows...you might see it in a commercial or feature film!
Thanks i just might look into that. Glad you enjoyed the video

Reactions: Shon
Took weeks of waiting for one to arrive when I was not working.

Finally our schedules met up

That’s a very entertaining video. I particularly enjoyed watching the “dance” between the container ship and the tugboats. The tugboats ability to move and control such a large ship was incredible. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Nice steady hand! Music seemed appropriate too. Wow, by my rough estimate there's about 1,800 full size containers on that ship. Were they all unloaded there in Prince Rupert for transfer to smaller ships or train?

Write to the Director of Marketing for the shipping company by email and include a link and ask him if he would like the rights to use the footage commercially or would like you to tailor make a video to his specification. Think hard how much dollars to sting him for when he says yes please.

Nice steady hand! Music seemed appropriate too. Wow, by my rough estimate there's about 1,800 full size containers on that ship. Were they all unloaded there in Prince Rupert for transfer to smaller ships or train?
Thats our container ports claim to fame. Its one of the most efficient in the world. The containers can go from ship direct to rail in less than 5 min and I am being generous.
From there CN rail can take them all the way to new Mexico. and we are also at least one day less sail time between china and North America then any other port so the $$$$ saved is massive

Are there strong tides or currents that make so many tugs necessary?
Love the opening and the switch to high speed.
Its not the tides so much and until recently they only used two tugs. One is always attached when the container ship is arriving or departing port for safety reasons, loss of power or steering is one of them. Then the second tug comes into play when they do the 180 degree turn. I am not sure why they added a third tug boat but I can ask

Thanks for your kind words, all of you. This weekend has been good for droning. checked a lot of vessels off my shot list.
I am working on a new project, something unique to our area so stay tuned.

Thats our container ports claim to fame. Its one of the most efficient in the world. The containers can go from ship direct to rail in less than 5 min and I am being generous.
From there CN rail can take them all the way to new Mexico. and we are also at least one day less sail time between china and North America then any other port so the $$$$ saved is massive
I had no idea it was a bustling port. I've been to Terrace and Smithers a number of times but haven't gotten to Prince Rupert yet. So the containers go on rail from Prince Rupert through Terrace, Hazelton, & Prince George and then all points north, east, and south from there?

I had no idea it was a bustling port. I've been to Terrace and Smithers a number of times but haven't gotten to Prince Rupert yet. So the containers go on rail from Prince Rupert through Terrace, Hazelton, & Prince George and then all points north, east, and south from there?

That is correct, exactly how things work.
Let’s not also forget we export bulk coal, grain and wood pellets as well. That’s another video coming soon

Wow, by my rough estimate there's about 1,800 full size containers on that ship.
Want to try another guess on that?
Most of the containers are 40 ft size but container ship's capacity is measured in TEU - twenty ft equivalent units (how many 20ft containers it could carry).
CSCL China Sea is a 10036 TEU vessel.
If all were 40ft boxes, there would be 5018 for a full load - and it looks pretty full in the video.
Containers are stacked down below as well as up on deck.
If they were only on deck, the ship would roll over before it got out of the harbour.

Want to try another guess on that?
Most of the containers are 40 ft size but container ship's capacity is measured in TEU - twenty ft equivalent units (how many 20ft containers it could carry).
CSCL China Sea is a 10036 TEU vessel.
If all were 40ft boxes, there would be 5018 for a full load - and it looks pretty full in the video.
Containers are stacked down below as well as up on deck.
If they were only on deck, the ship would roll over before it got out of the harbour.
That makes sense...a sailor I'm not! I just sort of counted rows and columns from what I could see on deck and knew it was a lot! Pretty incredible stuff. You mentioned earlier 5 min from ship to train. Is that for a given container once it is off loaded?

That makes sense...a sailor I'm not! I just sort of counted rows and columns from what I could see on deck and knew it was a lot! Pretty incredible stuff. You mentioned earlier 5 min from ship to train. Is that for a given container once it is off loaded?
5 min is my best guess. I have heard that the good gantry crane operators can offload a container in about 60 seconds give or take.
Then you look at the google maps picture below. the cans get loaded onto a bomb cart and it is just a short trip around the pile of cans to one of the 10 working rail tracks. there they get picked up by a smaller rubber tire gantry crane and loaded on to the railcar. Our port was recently upgraded to allow two ships to dock at the same time. You can see where the pavement is darker on the right hand side. That is all new. they plan on expanding the other way soon.

Keep the questions coming and I will try to answer them for you. And don't forget to like and subscribe.

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 10.45.27 AM.png

5 min is my best guess. I have heard that the good gantry crane operators can offload a container in about 60 seconds give or take.
Then you look at the google maps picture below. the cans get loaded onto a bomb cart and it is just a short trip around the pile of cans to one of the 10 working rail tracks. there they get picked up by a smaller rubber tire gantry crane and loaded on to the railcar. Our port was recently upgraded to allow two ships to dock at the same time. You can see where the pavement is darker on the right hand side. That is all new. they plan on expanding the other way soon.

Keep the questions coming and I will try to answer them for you. And don't forget to like and subscribe.

View attachment 78050
That really is amazing! Maybe a cool time lapse candidate?

You are right and I will try to make one soon.
In the mean time. my friend took this with his M2Z earlier this year. when he came up to visit.
After seeing the M2Z in action I had to sell my spark and get one as well

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike