DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Short Cinematic. Even if it doesn't look like it, I did use a MAVIC MINI. Color Grading and ND Filters makes the difference!

Just a HERO

Reactions
Hi mates!

Due to my other two posts which had great impact and thoughts coming from you guys, I decided to publish the follow-up here also.
This is yet another project that wants to be cinematic.
How much of that did I managed to achieve, its your opinion only, but I would love to hear it from you so feel free to share your toughts! ??

About the video itself, took me 4 hours to drive to location, another 4 to actually record the stuff you see in the video and another 4 hours to drive back home, so that's that.

Editing was done in Premiere Pro and yes, all of it was recorded using the original Mavic Mini, alongside just a bunch of ND Filters.

My previous posts:
1. "Have you ever felt LOST?" Mini - Have you ever felt LOST?
2. "Just a TEASER" Mini - Just a TEASER

Hi mates!

Due to my other two posts which had great impact and thoughts coming from you guys, I decided to publish the follow-up here also.
How much of that did I managed to achieve, its your opinion only, but I would love to hear it from you so feel free to share your toughts! ??

About the video itself, took me 4 hours to drive to location, another 4 to actually record the stuff you see in the video and another 4 hours to drive back home, so that's that.

Editing was done in Premiere Pro and yes, all of it was recorded using the original Mavic Mini, alongside just a bunch of ND Filters.

My previous posts:

Great video! Wish I could do that with my mini 2.

The old mavic mini never ceases to amaze. Thanks for sharing
Regards

Hi mates!

My previous posts:

To me, you are proof that it's not to have the most expensive, the latest and the fanciest, but to have creativity and skills what counts the most. Congratulations!

I agree with @MROJAS - It is the same story as a non Arial photographer. Equipment is important, but creativity and skill is what really matters. IMO, you nailed it. You did a great job of keeping the beat of the music to the transitions. The music really made this video. I'm new at this, but have already learned music make make or break you. I liked the shots where you topped the trees. Good story and I liked the ending. I did not get bored ... not even once. Well done! Thumbswayup

Great video! Wish I could do that with my mini 2.

You can! Don't underestimate yourself. Trying to reproduce what you see in others videos is the first step you have to take.

The old mavic mini never ceases to amaze. Thanks for sharing
Regards

It is quite a machinery with FCC Boost on the Remote also :D I am tough, looking for an upgrade maybe next year after the market settles down a little. Would love an Air 2S, but at the moment its way over my budget.

That was great. That would make a great car commercial.

I am actually pursuiting this idea... The only problem is that I cannot find any car manufacturer to support me hahahahahah

To me, you are proof that it's not to have the most expensive, the latest and the fanciest, but to have creativity and skills what counts the most. Congratulations!

These are big words and I'm more than happy to have them pointed at me! Thanks a bunch mate! ^_^

I agree with @MROJAS - It is the same story as a non Arial photographer. Equipment is important, but creativity and skill is what really matters. IMO, you nailed it. You did a great job of keeping the beat of the music to the transitions. The music really made this video. I'm new at this, but have already learned music make make or break you. I liked the shots where you topped the trees. Good story and I liked the ending. I did not get bored ... not even once. Well done! Thumbswayup

More than honored to receive such great feedback! Of course I am never fully happy with the ending result. When I plan a trip to some location, I always imagine recording much more complex and cool scenes, but when I get to that specific location its like I forget how to be creative. I always get a mind blockage of some sort... I even tried creating some sort of script, but I never seem to be able to take account of it as I feel like I'm almost always in a hurry.

Also, really sorry for the very late reply to all of you. Been somewhat busy traveling for the next Cinematic project I work on! ^_^

I also invite others to share their toughts here!

Thanks a buch mates!

Reactions: Gagey52
Well done! You definitely know WHAT to do with what you have! Thumbswayup

Well done! You definitely know WHAT to do with what you have! Thumbswayup

Thanks for encouraging mate! Will definitely work a little harder for the next video ^_^

That was a very powerful piece and well executed from both a producer/director standpoint as well as editing. As others have said, unless you're shooting for the silver screen, you don't need $100,000 cameras & equipment to get the job done. You have what no amount of money could pay for, natural creative abilities. Not everyone in "the business" has that ability.

I'm a professional video editor and cinemaphotographer by trade and have been at it for 25 years but, I don't have a lick of creativity when it comes to initially creating concepts and coming up with "the plan." I call myself a technical editor and cameraman and feel most comfortable having others create those concepts and then just let me do my thing. That's when my creativity kicks in. Anyway, you have a gift so just keep going. You will learn a little bit more from every single movie you produce and you'll naturally just keep getting better and better.

Just a little critique since you posted it here in this forum. The only issue that bothered me just a tad which you mentioned in your YouTube description was the sharpness on some of the GoPro shots. Even on the Mini shots, some of them just looked muddy to me. I think the color grading you were going after although perfect for the look and feel, may have added to some of the softness I'm seeing. Again, this may have been your intention as everyone sees things differently but with all the incredible scenery, I was just expecting to see the world a little crisper. Still, incredible producing, shooting, editing and sound design. Great job!

When I plan a trip to some location, I always imagine recording much more complex and cool scenes, but when I get to that specific location its like I forget how to be creative. I always get a mind blockage of some sort... I even tried creating some sort of script, but I never seem to be able to take account of it as I feel like I'm almost always in a hurry.
That's what directors are typically for but what you're struggling with is so common especially when going solo. Scouting each place days before you shoot would definitely help because you can then create a "shot sheet" you can check off as you go. But in times where you don't have the time to travel that far twice, use Google Earth (not Google Maps) in the 3D mode. It's the next closest thing to being there and may help you get a lay of the land. Now where you're shooting the actor in the wilderness at the edge of a cliff, Google Earth might not be able to provide that camera perspective so you'll have to dig in deep and creative a plan on paper for what you want to do.

Lastly, I know it bothers you that you didn't get every shot you wanted and got frustrated when you lost your focus but to the viewer, we don't know what shots you never got or what footage didn't make it on the timeline. Unless of course you tell us;) Look around, we all loved it and you never saw any of us say "It was good except I really wish you would have used another shot for..." See what I'm saying?

Like everyone else who creates things on their own, they are typically their own worst critics. Unless you're on a full production with a bunch of people who's job it is to critique and make changes, just be happy with the final version you deliver to the world knowing there will be room to grow on the next one. Heck! I've been doing it for 25 years and I still learn something new from myself and others around me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60