DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Short range signal lost

RockRZR

Reactions
I had my air 2 out today for a short range test. Mine started losing signal strength fast. I live out in the country with very little interference. At around 1200ft I started dropping RC signal. Around 2500ft I lost all signal and video cut out. I'm lost as to why. My mavic pro never did this. Any ideas?

Reactions: Fleek
I had my air 2 out today for a short range test. Mine started losing signal strength fast. I live out in the country with very little interference. At around 1200ft I started dropping RC signal. Around 2500ft I lost all signal and video cut out. I'm lost as to why. My mavic pro never did this. Any ideas?
Check the WiFi setting for any nearby phones, maybe in your pocket, and the display device on your RC (usually your phone). Make sure all WiFi is turned off, unless your RC device is connected to your phone's access point. You don't want your phone/iPad/iPhone to have WiFi on constantly scanning all WiFi channels, searching to connect. If WiFi is on, when it pings a channel with the frequency near the drone video feed frequency, this can overpower your RC's ability to receive video from your craft, sometimes as close as 100', losing video feed.

Reactions: Old Dog- New Tricks
I'm going to try another phone. The one I'm using is the iPhone 6s plus. The complete phone is metal. Maybe it's messing with the built in Antenna

I'm going to try another phone. The one I'm using is the iPhone 6s plus. The complete phone is metal. Maybe it's messing with the built in Antenna

It’s not. Lots of people use this phone without issues.

This is the mavic air 2 with occusync. WiFi shouldnt mess with signal this bad.
You didn't mention if your Wifi was on or off when you flew.

Wifi will mess with both OcuSync and Lightbridge, even at close range. I've had it happen with my M2Z and P4P. If wifi isn't connected, the constant hunting all WiFi channels to connect can interfere when it's pinging a near frequency to your OcuSync frequency. Remember, your phone is sitting next to the antenna, but even phone in your pocket can interfere, so someone standing close by. All you have to do is check the Wifi on your phone(s). If Wifi is on, simply turn it off. If all WiFi devices were originally off, then move on and look for other causes.

Last edited:
Yep, I have a great tip for you. But before that,
Story:
(All Flights discussed below are from the same point and in the same neighborhood and in the same direction)
1. With my MA1, I would at times fly to about 1.6km away, and other times I would only get about 500m before the AC loses signal and initiates RTH

2. With my MA2, I usually get 3.5km from this point, and yesterday I only got 800m before the AC lost RC connection and initiated RTH.

Here is where to look:
Go into the DJI Fly App and under Transmission, take some time and observe what happens under Channel Mode. By default it should be Auto. The data inside the horizontal range (represented by the white lines inside the graph) represents the channel chosen automatically by your RC-AC. If the graph inside the horizontal range seems to be fluctuating too much, and if you find some part else inside the main plot to be less fluctuating, switch to Manual mode and choose that section of the graph that has least fluctuation (usually also has a larger negative decibel value to it). This should greatly improve the quality of connection between your RC and AC. Although Auto USUALLY does a great job, it occasionally picks poor channels. If the entire plot seems to be wildly fluctuating, go ahead and turn off the AC and RC and try reconnecting to see if the plot seems somewhat better. If not, then you are likely in a bad place and might have to consider moving to a better place that allows a stable connection. If the connection is still poor in an isolated area, you might want to consider getting in touch with DJI.

But from my experience, just switching to the right channel helps.

Also, put your phone in airplane mode before you fly, to remove direct interference from your mobile device.

Reactions: deltamike
I have tried everything suggested. I have downloaded dji assistant, made sure firmware is coerect. I have tried flying several locations. I have also tried flipping Phone and cable to left side. I'm still having same result. Should I try to contact DJI or go back to where I purchased online. Something is defective here.

Range has been a bit strange for me aswell. I have flown 3km and had signla interference with it dropping for a brief period and then getting full connection again and i have also been about 7.5km away and had almost full signal and barely any video interference. Depends on weather and terrain and interference but sometimes its just weak for no reason. Maybe a software issue.

Range has been a bit strange for me aswell. I have flown 3km and had signla interference with it dropping for a brief period and then getting full connection again and i have also been about 7.5km away and had almost full signal and barely any video interference. Depends on weather and terrain and interference but sometimes its just weak for no reason. Maybe a software issue.
But I'm not even getting 1km. There is zero interference where I'm flying.

Its early days. The Fly app is really in its infancy. The new controller antenna is something of a different animal from the old controller. I have seen some of what is described in this topic, but generally my range and connection has been solid. I never really go beyond 1km anyway, even with my stobes its hard to see past that distance. Its critical to point the flat part of the antenna directly at the drone, its easy to forget and hold the conroller more upright, that will kill your range instantly, also if you are touching it, I've seen it drop rapidly. Airplane mode, stay away from any metal in your environment. Anything that stands between you and a clear line to the drone will degrade range.

Its early days. The Fly app is really in its infancy. The new controller antenna is something of a different animal from the old controller. I have seen some of what is described in this topic, but generally my range and connection has been solid. I never really go beyond 1km anyway, even with my stobes its hard to see past that distance. Its critical to point the flat part of the antenna directly at the drone, its easy to forget and hold the conroller more upright, that will kill your range instantly, also if you are touching it, I've seen it drop rapidly. Airplane mode, stay away from any metal in your environment. Anything that stands between you and a clear line to the drone will degrade range.

I have tried everything. I sent drone back to Dji. Will know outcome in a few days. I do believe Dji rushed the MA2 out. I know there will be a few bugs, we see this in the firmware updates. But I'm not the only one to have transmission issues. I personally think it's in the controller. Loose Connection? Maybe, time will tell.

Reactions: $KevinMiami$
Yes, I have looked at all flight data.
No, what I mean is, to know if there is interference you would need to be able to scan all radio frequencies in the area and know how congested the airspace is. You can manually adjust this in the fly app, by default it’s on auto.

I have tried everything. I sent drone back to Dji. Will know outcome in a few days. I do believe Dji rushed the MA2 out. I know there will be a few bugs, we see this in the firmware updates. But I'm not the only one to have transmission issues. I personally think it's in the controller. Loose Connection? Maybe, time will tell.
I have a similar issue. At 1600 feet North or West, the red bars start. East is worse, I see red bars at 1000 ft. I haven't taken in out to an open area yet. Will test. If I experience similar results, I'll reach out to DJI as well. Definitely wasn't expecting such short range, but won't know for sure until I test in an open area.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929