DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Short sticks For RCP2

Ridgeback65

Reactions
Anyone know of a source for shorter sticks for the RCP2? I’m a thumb flyer. I don’t like the pinch technique as I like having my index fingers available to the record/shutter buttons during flight. I know folks say that longer sticks provide finer control and I won’t dispute that but with longer sticks comes more leverage. So if it’s cold / hands are a bit shaky, that translates thru the longer sticks. I’m thinking shorter sticks would help buffer this as my thumbs aren’t extended as far from the hand. I’ve experimented using no sticks on the RC-N1 to test the theory (not ideal, I know) and I would get smoother flight movements. If short sticks don’t exist, I may try the Cine Sticks here: CineSticks SC1 - US

Any experience with these?

Anyone know of a source for shorter sticks for the RCP2? I’m a thumb flyer. I don’t like the pinch technique as I like having my index fingers available to the record/shutter buttons during flight. I know folks say that longer sticks provide finer control and I won’t dispute that but with longer sticks comes more leverage. So if it’s cold / hands are a bit shaky, that translates thru the longer sticks. I’m thinking shorter sticks would help buffer this as my thumbs aren’t extended as far from the hand. I’ve experimented using no sticks on the RC-N1 to test the theory (not ideal, I know) and I would get smoother flight movements. If short sticks don’t exist, I may try the Cine Sticks here: CineSticks SC1 - US

Try a couple of screws. I cut down some 8-32 SS screws to 3/8" long for the standard controller. Take the RCP2 to the hardware store and see what fits.

Reactions: Ridgeback65
Try a couple of screws. I cut down some 8-32 SS screws to 3/8" long for the standard controller. Take the RCP2 to the hardware store and see what fits.
Good idea. I was also thinking of buying a cheap replacement set of normal sticks (either DJI or 3rd party) and just cutting them down to taste and then perhaps cutting in some quasi knurling on top with a Dremel.

I’m thinking shorter sticks would help buffer this as my thumbs aren’t extended as far from the hand.

On the other hand (no pun intended), shorter sticks will amplify tremors as a movement of (say) 3 mm is a greater angle.

On my old Phantom, which had sticks that you could extend, I found that extended sticks gave me the smoothest control even in winter.

I'd suggest thin gloves as a solution. I have a pair of photography gloves that let me fold up the tips of my index finger and thumb, so I have warm hands but still tactile sensitivity.

The glove looks like this:

Lowepro doesn't make them anymore, but I'm certain you can find another make.

On the other hand (no pun intended), shorter sticks will amplify tremors as a movement of (say) 3 mm is a greater angle.

On my old Phantom, which had sticks that you could extend, I found that extended sticks gave me the smoothest control even in winter.

I'd suggest thin gloves as a solution. I have a pair of photography gloves that let me fold up the tips of my index finger and thumb, so I have warm hands but still tactile sensitivity.

The glove looks like this:

Lowepro doesn't make them anymore, but I'm certain you can find another make.
Appreciate the glove idea! I know I'm not describing my issue well enough but I find that if you are able to keep most of the base of your thumb / palm along the controller as opposed to way high up off the controller in order to reach the longer sticks, you lose a kind of dampening effect. A quick analogy that comes to mind is interior house painting--trying to cut in a straight line where door trim meets drywall with a long paint brush holding it at the of the end of the handle vs. holding it closer to the bristles with your hand on the wall in order to steady / guide your hand. This isn't it exactly but hopefully you get the idea.

I just got them for my M3. Have not had a chance to try them yet though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent