DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shotcut help?

bravezoo63

Reactions
Hello from Indiana,
I fly a Mavic Air 2 recreationally and produce video for fun. I usually shoot in 2.7K and 30fps. I use Shotcut for editing because it is free and easy to use. I find that Shotcut won't handle a 2.7K resolution without getting way to jittery and often freezing up during frame transitions. When I downgrade the resolution to 720 (or lower) the video runs more smoothly, but picture quality suffers. So I have settled on 1080, but as you can see from my latest video there is still way too much video jitter for my liking. Question for Shotcut users: is there anything I can do to increase video resolution without increasing jitter, especially during frame transitions - or is it time for me to bite the bullet and learn a whole new video editing program?

Honest to Goodness Indiana

Hello from Indiana,
I fly a Mavic Air 2 recreationally and produce video for fun. I usually shoot in 2.7K and 30fps. I use Shotcut for editing because it is free and easy to use. I find that Shotcut won't handle a 2.7K resolution without getting way to jittery and often freezing up during frame transitions. When I downgrade the resolution to 720 (or lower) the video runs more smoothly, but picture quality suffers. So I have settled on 1080, but as you can see from my latest video there is still way too much video jitter for my liking. Question for Shotcut users: is there anything I can do to increase video resolution without increasing jitter, especially during frame transitions - or is it time for me to bite the bullet and learn a whole new video editing program?

Honest to Goodness Indiana
I know nothing about your software but I use Adobe Premiere Pro with a fairly well equipped iMAC and still get stutter and slowing. But I have full solved my problems with the use of PROXY editing. If your program has the ability to convert all of your files to Proxy, that would be the best way to get more speed and energy out of your computer. You can Google this term (PROXY editing) for further information. On closer look, I found your software online and found that in the last item of this list, you will see that you do indeed have proxy editing. Thus, you can edit in proxy and the

Dale
Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 2.53.26 PM.png

I use the free version of Blackmagic Resolve. It is very robust and handles 4K just fine, yes, as long as your computer can handle it. You can upgrade Resolve later for more features for a very reasonable price.

Hope I can help yoü. I have been using Shotcut for sometime on a older HP pavillion, I was able to do 2.7K without to much trouble, but when I started to edit 4K the program had some issued. I started to convert the video to proxy files as Dale stated. Ben Edpanto has made quite a few Shotcut videos on Youtube that have been very helpful, one on proxy files should be able to help you so the video won't freeze.

Mainly depends on your computer. What hardware do you have? Some software is better optimized and some is less so, but in the end, you need a computer than has the power for video editing, especially for high res, like 4K.

Thanks all for the excellent feedback. My Dell has 8GB of RAM and 1TB of memory, which is more than adequate for my basic editing purposes. BUT my graphic card was indeed anemic with only 128MB of VRAM. So I went to Best Buy and purchased a fairly basic $129 graphics card with 2GB of VRAM - and problem solved. It was a very easy, 5 minute, drop-in install.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580