DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ShotCut Video Editing

Mr Mint

Reactions
Any idea what the hardware requirements would be on a desktop computer to run ShotCut. Does anyone have any experience with this software and what do you think of it? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks Mr Mint

Shotcut is a very powerful software, learning curve is very steep, there are lots of tutorials on youtube, you will learn it in no time.

If you work with proxy you can use a relatively weak computer. I do editing on my Dell XPS 9550 (i7 - 24 Gb ram) bought in 2016 and it works perfectly for FHD editing. If I try to edit anything above FHD without proxy files it will be slow as hell, very much unusable.

I have used shotcut for about a year and found it to be much easier to learn than some of the other programs. It is able to do all that I need at this time for editing.

I regularly edit in Shotcut using 4K 60 fps video shot on my Mavic air 2. Understanding and using Proxies in Shotcut is a must. As far as PC system requirements go, a graphics card upgrade is a must. I use a lower end Nvida Geforce 1030. I has 2 TB of VRAM. Only $129 at Best Buy. Installs in your PC in 5 minutes. I get along well with 8 GB of RAM and 1 TB of hard drive. You can go much beefier with your system components if you want to pay a beefier price, but for my recreational video purposes (friends and family) this meets my needs. My next purchase will be a monitor that will take advantage of my 4k 60 fps video - about $300 more.

I regularly edit in Shotcut using 4K 60 fps video shot on my Mavic air 2. Understanding and using Proxies in Shotcut is a must. As far as PC system requirements go, a graphics card upgrade is a must. I use a lower end Nvida Geforce 1030. I has 2 TB of VRAM. Only $129 at Best Buy. Installs in your PC in 5 minutes. I get along well with 8 GB of RAM and 1 TB of hard drive. You can go much beefier with your system components if you want to pay a beefier price, but for my recreational video purposes (friends and family) this meets my needs. My next purchase will be a monitor that will take advantage of my 4k 60 fps video - about $300 more.

I have been a long-time Adobe Premiere Pro user but finally got tired of the annual subscription, so I started looking around. Shotcut is one of the ones I considered but will echo the remarks about learning curve etc, already voiced above. What I ended up going to was DaVinci Resolve. It is also free and has a substantial support base on the internet, and a ton of pretty darn good YouTube channels that cover any question a new user might have. Since I started using it, I have been very happy with it. Certainly it will be able to do anything a novice video editor would need.

Reactions: michael boeren
BTW, can't beat the price of Shotcut - free software. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair