DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I add weight to my Mini to fly in Portugal (Madeira)

Malcx

Reactions
I might be lucky enough to get away for 10 days in Madeira over Christmas and have been doing some research into drone laws which seem to be the same as mainland Portugal.

One thing I've seen is that "toy drones" cannot be flown above 30m. Toy drones seem to be defined as under 250g.

Obviously the stock mini is under 250g, so should I just add a bit of ballast to take me over as it seems like I need to get permission to fly in most locations anyway?

Are there any pilots in Portugal or ideally Madeira here who can give specific advice?

Ref

Adding wieight may trigger the payload mode which introduces its own set of restrictions.
I would be somewhat surprised if "take off weight" does not refer to designed take off weight, it would seem a rather glaring "loophole" otherwise.
Aside from that there is this beauty, "Drones may not be used to capture images or video without permission from the National Aeronautical Authority."

Reactions: Malcx
Running through google translate - that looks like the same info.
A "toy" aircraft is anything under 250g.

So if I add weight (not dropable ballast ) then I have a "real" drone and can fly up to 120m with the correct authorization?

Anyone here can express an opinion but really that is all it is and it carries no legal weight.
What you should really do is ask the relevant Portugese authority, preferably in writing or email etc. as that should give you a 'written' answer on 'headed paper' from the horse's mouth and if "worst comes to worst" might carry weight in a court.

Anyone here can express an opinion but really that is all it is and it carries no legal weight.
What you should really do is ask the relevant Portugese authority, preferably in writing or email etc. as that should give you a 'written' answer on 'headed paper' from the horse's mouth and if "worst comes to worst" might carry weight in a court.
Well, yes I understand that obviously.

It's just the regs seem a bit strange (compared to much else of Europe) so I was hoping, what with this being a well frequented forum, that there might be some Portuguese or even Madeiran members who could share their experience and local knowledge before I start the paperwork side of things.

So if I add weight (not dropable ballast ) then I have a "real" drone and can fly up to 120m with the correct authorization?
If you have a camera it is not a toy.

Reactions: oztx

If you have a camera it is not a toy.
Well, yes I understand that obviously.

It's just the regs seem a bit strange (compared to much else of Europe) so I was hoping, what with this being a well frequented forum, that there might be some Portuguese or even Madeiran members who could share their experience and local knowledge before I start the paperwork side of things.
I might be lucky enough to get away for 10 days in Madeira over Christmas and have been doing some research into drone laws which seem to be the same as mainland Portugal.

One thing I've seen is that "toy drones" cannot be flown above 30m. Toy drones seem to be defined as under 250g.

Obviously the stock mini is under 250g, so should I just add a bit of ballast to take me over as it seems like I need to get permission to fly in most locations anyway?

Are there any pilots in Portugal or ideally Madeira here who can give specific advice?

Ref
https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws-in-...https://www.tomstechtime.com/portugal[/QUOTE]
I am going to Portugal soon too, since I got a Mini-2, I thought maybe I will share what I found out. In 2018 regulations in Portugal have been replaced with EU regulation (EU) 2019/947 - EUR-Lex - 32019R0947 - EN - EUR-Lex . According to the regulation, DJI Mini (or Mini-2) is in the open category A1, because it can record pictures. Thanks to the camera, it is NOT a toy. As such, it can fly up to 120m altitude, 30 m away from by-standers (or 5m if you fly slowly and carefully). Also, you can fly over bystanders, but not over large groups of people. You should however register your drone in an EU country. There are EU countries that will allow the registration of users living outside of the EU (Not sure if it is a system error, but I got my drone and myself registered, got a license and drone registration with a QR code). However, if you want to take pictures or movies in Portugal, you need a permit from AAN e-AAN - Login . If you want to fly a lot, start early, you can submit only 3 missions / day (you can fly probably more, but you can submit for approval only 3 /day. I didn't get any approvals yet, but they still have over 30 days to approve ;-) . There is also an app (only in Portuguese) "voa na boa" which will let you know if you can fly (I will be smarter about the app once I am back from Portugal)

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest