DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I buy DJI RC controller

I keep seeing that DJI RC controller will be compatible with mavic air 2s and my question is. Should I buy it now or wait ?
I would wait till they actually announce the firmware update that actually makes DJI RC compatible with other models and perhaps even a few YT reviews saying it works great, as they may not get it right the first time.

Also, it will be a while before whatever existing inventory is available would have the update to do that already installed...

I keep seeing that DJI RC controller will be compatible with mavic air 2s and my question is. Should I buy it now or wait ?
I think the DJI RC is in fact compatible with the Air2s. If you are going to buy it I see no reason to wait to see what other drones it supports. I've got one with my Mini 3 and I don't know whether it's the controller, the drone or the combination but it is so much easier to fly without jerky motions. Instead of the "balls" that the sticks attach to in the RCN1 it has horizontal and vertical "barrels"(?) like somewhat like you'd see on a standard hobby radio controller. Unlike the RCN1 I don't feel any dead spots in the sticks where I'm under-correcting or over-correcting. Again, I'm not sure how much of that is the Mini3 itself, but suspect the smoothness comes from the controller. I don't suspect DJI will make the DJI RC compatible with the Mini 2 if for no other reason than it would cut into Mini 3 sales. But I suspect if they can add the Air2 they could do the same with the Mini 2 if they had a mind to.

I guess my advice is to go ahead and give it a whirl.

Last edited:
Reactions: careless
Should I buy it now or wait ?
Can I ask why you would wait?

I took the plunge on the RC Pro for my Air2 and don't regret a thing. Not having to dink around hooking up a phone or a tablet is *wonderful*. It boots fast and is bright, and the sticks are those from the FPV drone - super good.

Really all I need now is the Mavic3 aircraft and some batteries and I've made the leap.

Good luck!

EDIT: I was mistaken, thinking the DJI RC controller was made compatible with the Air/Air2s, but it does not appear to be the case on the DJI website. It is only compatible with the Mavic 3 and Mini 3.

Can I ask why you would wait?

I took the plunge on the RC Pro for my Air2 and don't regret a thing. Not having to dink around hooking up a phone or a tablet is *wonderful*. It boots fast and is bright, and the sticks are those from the FPV drone - super good.

Really all I need now is the Mavic3 aircraft and some batteries and I've made the leap.

Good luck!
The RC Pro is a different animal than the DJI RC, and 4x the price. If the goal is to ultimately upgrade to the M3 it's probably a good choice right now to be able to enjoy it now and into the future. Hopefully the Mavic 3 will be their new "flagship" drone for at least 3 more years as DJI is certain to move forward with new accessories that are not backwards compatible to help boost new drone sales.

Last edited:
The RC Pro is a different animal than the DJI RC, and 4x the price. If the goal is to ultimately upgrade to the M3 it's probably a good choice right now to be able to enjoy it now and into the future. Hopefully the Mavic 3 will be their new "flagship" drone for at least 3 more years as DJI is certain to move forward with new accessories that are not backwards compatible to help boost new drone sales. [The DJI RC is compatible with the Air2 and Air2- but not the Mini 2, which brings an interesting question and commensurate speculative answer. ]
Has DJI announced that the DJI RC is now compatible with the Air 2 and Air2S, don't think I've seen an official announcement anywhere, but could have missed it.

The RC Pro is definitely a different RC, and as you noted, much more expensive,

Hmm... I thought the DJI RC compatibility with the Air2/Air2s was a done deal. But according to the DJI website
Compatibility
DJI Mavic 3, DJI Mavic 3 Cine, DJI Mini 3 Pro

So no other drones so far. Bummer. I have to change my previous advice. If it isn't compatible with your current drone then there is no sense in buying it.

Likewise, definitely wait until it's actually been updated to work with the Air 2S.

With the RC PRO, which wasn't originally compatible with the Air 2S when it came out (unless you got the bundled version) at least DJI said that the update to make it work was coming soon. With this RC, they are being very opaque about whether it will be made compatible or not - they haven't definitively said yes or no. Which to me sounds like it might be a while.

• Sad
I think the DJI RC is in fact compatible with the Air2s. If you are going to buy it I see no reason to wait to see what other drones it supports. I've got one with my Mini 3 and I don't know whether it's the controller, the drone or the combination but it is so much easier to fly without jerky motions. Instead of the "balls" that the sticks attach to in the RCN1 it has horizontal and vertical "barrels"(?) like somewhat like you'd see on a standard hobby radio controller. Unlike the RCN1 I don't feel any dead spots in the sticks where I'm under-correcting or over-correcting. Again, I'm not sure how much of that is the Mini3 itself, but suspect the smoothness comes from the controller. I don't suspect DJI will make the DJI RC compatible with the Mini 2 if for no other reason than it would cut into Mini 3 sales. But I suspect if they can add the Air2 they could do the same with the Mini 2 if they had a mind to.

I guess my advice is to go ahead and give it a whirl.
I have the new RC controller and it's not compatible with the Air 2s yet? Works with the Mavic 3 Pro and the Mini 3 as of today. 8/4/2022

I have air 2s and rc pro they work great. Additionally I use Epson moverio by 40 I am very happy with the operation of these devices!
This thread was discussing the DJI RC, not the Pro.. which costs 4x more...

I am sure the Pro works very well..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka