DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I buy Smart controller on Black Friday Sale along with the Mavic 2Pro

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
So I have this dilemma. Have been flying Mavic Air for over a year and now feel comfortable moving up to Mavic 2 Pro, anticipating Black Friday purchase from DJI in 2 days from now. Very confused if I should spring for the smart controller (also on sale) . So I went onto You Tube and looked at all of the smart controller videos, and am really confused now. Looks like a huge learning curve.
I've been very happy using my 9 inch iPad for screen and enjoy the big screen view. Should I just stay with the iPad and Skyreat clamp for Mavic holder???

So I have this dilemma. Have been flying Mavic Air for over a year and now feel comfortable moving up to Mavic 2 Pro, anticipating Black Friday purchase from DJI in 2 days from now. Very confused if I should spring for the smart controller (also on sale) . So I went onto You Tube and looked at all of the smart controller videos, and am really confused now. Looks like a huge learning curve.
I've been very happy using my 9 inch iPad for screen and enjoy the big screen view. Should I just stay with the iPad and Skyreat clamp for Mavic holder???

Are there indications of the controller being included in the sale?

https://djidroneservice.com/product/ID174C71/

todays price - $2199
sundays price - $1779

Also we will be running exclusive forum voucher an additional $100 off a $1000+ purchase

total $1679

how bout them apples?

My opinion considering the following:
1. I'm old
2. You're older.;)
3. The screen on the Smart Controller, for me at least, is too small.
4. The 7.85" CrystalSky monitor mounted on a tripod is my choice. The CrystalSky is tethered to the remote controller via a 6 ft quality USB "C" cable. I'm not the only one here who has gone that route.

Good luck!

Are there indications of the controller being included in the sale?
Yes- it is $400 USD added to the drone price. here is the attachment of the sale.. Still need som of you out there to help me make this decision.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 11.54.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 11.54.16 AM.png
    699.7 KB · Views: 63
My opinion considering the following:
1. I'm old
2. You're older.;)
3. The screen on the Smart Controller, for me at least, is too small.
4. The 7.85" CrystalSky monitor mounted on a tripod is my choice. The CrystalSky is tethered to the remote controller via a 6 ft quality USB "C" cable. I'm not the only one here who has gone that route.

Good luck!
Yes- you are right. I am 81 but a young 81. I did three major trips this year (Montana 5t weeks, Iceland 2 weeks, Zambia/Madagascar 3 weeks)- all with the Mavic Air. I am very comfortable with the Mavic Air and 9 inch iPad screen and Skyreat stand.

Does anyone know if I can use my iPad 9 inch for the Mavic Pro? I am almost certain that I can.

https://djidroneservice.com/product/ID174C71/

todays price - $2199
sundays price - $1779

Also we will be running exclusive forum voucher an additional $100 off a $1000+ purchase

total $1679

how bout them apples?
To DJI Drone Service- what are the pros and cons of ordering from you instead of DJI? ?warranty, service, DJI Refresh???? When I order from DJI I get it from China, no tax, I think, and can order DJI Refresh. I am not sure I am allowed to have this conversation in the forum, so let me know.

Does anyone know if I can use my iPad 9 inch for the Mavic Pro? I am almost certain that I can.

I tried a borrowed IPad Air with a 10.5 screen and it worked fine except the screen brightness was reduced significantly in direct sun. I suspect the 9" screen would suffer from the same thing plus I don't know if the processor has enough balz. My outdated iPad 2 certainly did not.

Lots of folks here use an iPad, so maybe they can offer more assistance in that arena.

I tried a borrowed IPad Air with a 10.5 screen and it worked fine except the screen brightness was reduced significantly in direct sun. I suspect the 9" screen would suffer from the same thing plus I don't know if the processor has enough balz. My outdated iPad 2 certainly did not.

Lots of folks here use an iPad, so maybe they can offer more assistance in that arena.
With my 9 inch iPad I get a very satisfactory image, and I am not hassled by inserting my iPhone 10xsMAX into the controller, where I have difficult access to the home button (no button iPhone 10). Also, I have to take off the iPhone case to get it into the RC. I eliminate all of this by using the iPad. Of course, in bright light, it is more difficult to see the screen, so I try to fly from the shade. ipad back view.jpgipad back view.jpgiPad front.jpg

Attachments

• iPad side view.jpg
    iPad side view.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: Ishloh
If you like the big screen view and happy with the small amount of hassle to use that then it sounds like the smart controller wouldn't be worth it for you.

The convenience of the smart controller is appealing but for me the screen is too small, I'd used a 5.7in phone which I found too small so decided instead to go for a 10in tablet and mount. It's a little more hassle to set it up but I don't find it a problem and find the larger screen makes it much easier to use the drone.

Reactions: JAW
If you like the big screen view and happy with the small amount of hassle to use that then it sounds like the smart controller wouldn't be worth it for you.

The convenience of the smart controller is appealing but for me the screen is too small, I'd used a 5.7in phone which I found too small so decided instead to go for a 10in tablet and mount. It's a little more hassle to set it up but I don't find it a problem and find the larger screen makes it much easier to use the drone.
Thanks. I am trending towards not getting the smart controller, and I love using my big screen iPad. I find it no hassle at all. When not using the iPad for flying my drone, it provides a portable TV streaming of news and programs in my bathroom

I'm not an Apple guy, but the latest Ipad mini, 7th gen I think, has a 10" screen much brighter than your current iPad.

To DJI Drone Service- what are the pros and cons of ordering from you instead of DJI? ?warranty, service, DJI Refresh???? When I order from DJI I get it from China, no tax, I think, and can order DJI Refresh. I am not sure I am allowed to have this conversation in the forum, so let me know.
Pros
1. you can talk to a live person and are not just a number in a computer
2. authorized dealer so same warranty like dji
3. support a forum vender which keeps this forum free for all users
4. after sales support
5. we also cary dji care
6.Exclusive Forum discounts not available through dji

to name a few

Cons-
NONE

The big advantage of the Smart Controller is the convenience. It is very easy and fast to get the bird in the air. I'm sure a larger screen would be nice, but that would take away a bit of the compact portability of the unit. I do love mine and think it was totally worth it. I do hope DJI makes their future products compatible with it (unlike the MM). I understand the reasons folks suspect, such as weight restrictions and so on, but still hope that was a "one & done". If they come out with a new inspire, phantom, or..., in the future, I hope it is Smart Controller compatible.

Reactions: PAW
The big advantage of the Smart Controller is the convenience. It is very easy and fast to get the bird in the air. I'm sure a larger screen would be nice, but that would take away a bit of the compact portability of the unit. I do love mine and think it was totally worth it. I do hope DJI makes their future products compatible with it (unlike the MM). I understand the reasons folks suspect, such as weight restrictions and so on, but still hope that was a "one & done". If they come out with a new inspire, phantom, or..., in the future, I hope it is Smart Controller compatible.
Reason was because remotes side of SC uses Ocusync 2. Only M2 currently has OS2. MM and MA are enhanced Wi-Fi. M1 is OS1.

I have the SC and use a iPad (9.7") as well. For the quick deploy scenario the SC is great. It does have several limitations but I find I'm using it often. Using the standard controller with the mount and iPad has worked well too - I like the brightness of the SC over my iPad as I am hunting for shade with it but the screen size of the iPad is great. I want to take the HDMI output from the SC and pipe video to an external monitor for some local work - there are plenty of battery operated versions up to 15" although the number of nits (brightness) may vary. The SC is 1000 which works well in the AZ sun - I'm sure the crystal Sky and others that are brighter and larger are great.

For me - I'll throw the M2P and accessories in my backpack for hiking/sightseeing as well as my SC. Less weight to carry, easy and fast to deploy, no need to worry about iPad charge.

It is expensive and has limited compatibility.. Apps on the SC are sometimes not available or usable and need to be run from the iPad, the SC forum will help with the positives and negatives from other users as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty