DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SHOULD I OR SHOULDN'T I UPDATE FIRMWARE

jhnix

Reactions
I've had a P3P for about two years with a APK dji go app and I never updated the drone or controller and I never had problems with my bird what so ever. I'm looking on line and seeing a lot of horror stories on these updates. I updated my buddies drone for him but I wish not to on my new bird {Mavic Pro}, am I wrong for feeling this way? I have the new Dji 4 app but didn't update the controller or bird.

I was wondering the same thing???? I have a new Mavic Pro I picked up at Costco. should I just run it without up dating???

I was wondering the same thing???? I have a new Mavic Pro I picked up at Costco. should I just run it without up dating???

I didn't for years and I never had one problem. I think i'm going to stay with the same method,,,LOL

I did the update and wish I hadn’t. Hopefully they get it figured out. I feel they went too far with tracking us IMO. It’s not the end of the world either because it flys just fine.

I would wait to see what the up coming update is like ....... both the latest GO4 Update and firmware update have created a few issues for some people.

There's nothing wrong with sticking with the firmware as it came.
However to maintain compatibility, you might need to ensure app can't update and eventually that your phone can't update.
So if going this route a dedicated phone or tablet that doesn't even go online is worth considering.

Alternatively keep everything more or less up to date but usually it's wise to hold off for a while in case problems emerge.
DJI seem to feel they must keep tinkering and introducing minor "improvements" almost weekly.
Over time the app and firmware seems to get ever more bloated and demanding to run.
Half the stuff now included is not required to fly your Mavic.

A significant annoyance with staying updated is that every other flight seems to become a test that things still work smoothly.

For most users, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

I picked it up at Costco for 899.00 was on sale from the 999.00 price. I believe it's back up yo the 999.00 price now.

Regarding updates; try flying as is. If it works as expected then disable auto-updating on your device so you can decide when/if to update. DJI has a habit of releasing updates that screw up a previously working setup. There's nothing quite like going out to fly and finding out your video feed got hosed by an automatic update (it happened to me). This is why you check your setup beforehand if you have a time-sensitive or paying gig.

So...check what "features" you do not have with your version and decide if you want to risk a working setup to get them. Even then, try to have a copy available that you can re-install if needed.

If you later decide that you want things that are possible only with older firmware (e.g. removing 500m ATOP limit)
True. However, I doubt the average Mavic owner is interested in reverse engineering the advertised features.

Reactions: SafariMan
True. However, I doubt the average Mavic owner is interested in reverse engineering the advertised features.

True, but 500m ATOP limit is not advertised, and many people live in/travel to hilly/mountaineous areas, so stumbling upon this limit weeks or months after the purchase is quite shocking (as it was to me).

True, but 500m ATOP limit is not advertised, and many people live in/travel to hilly/mountaineous areas, so stumbling upon this limit weeks or months after the purchase is quite shocking (as it was to me).
The OP has been flying a P3P for ~2 years, so this should not be a shocker.

I'm on 01.04.0100 and have no height limit, sport +, nfz disable, etc available
I have every feature new and old except precision landing which I never use (always fly back manually)

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke