DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I sell the Mavic 2 Pro for the Mavic 3 now or wait?

AroundTheWorld

Reactions
Hi folks

I wanted to sell my Mavic 2 Pro in order to buy the new Mavic 3 but rumors are announcing such a high price that I'm not sure to be able to afford it and I'm wondering if I should keep the 2 Pro longer....

Do you think that my Mavic 2 Pro will loose his value if I wait too much time to sell it? The huge price gap between the 2 Pro and the 3 makes me think that I would still be able to sell it at a good price even few months after the release of the Mavic 3 Pro. What do you think about it?

Thanks for your advices

Reactions: Droniac
@AroundTheWorld ,not sure of your location ,which could affect the suitability of the Mavic 3, if you lived in the UK say, where it would need to have the new C rating after the end of 2022
another thing to consider is what you actually use your drone for ,and do you need the enhanced features that the drone appears to have, it seems to me that this new drone is aimed more at the professional end of the prosumer spectrum and is priced as such

@AroundTheWorld You don't state where you live, which might make a difference. But I think the key is asking yourself if you will truly benefit from any of the feature upgrades? While on paper the Mavic 3 looks great, we haven't seen any hands on reviews yet. Does it have initial bugs, being rushed out of the factory? They have different models at different price points. Will the one that upgrades what you have worth the extra cost? Or will one of the lower level M3's that you can afford be dumbed down to the point where buying the new model makes little sense?

I think another thing to hold out for is to see how the Autel EVO III stacks up. As I compare the EVO II to the Mavic 2 Pro, while the EVO has some nicer features, there are some current drawbacks in comparison such as handling, power, range. If Autel can step up and solve those deficiencies I would be more prone to go with an EVO III as there are some drawbacks to being in the DJI ecosystem.

Aside from the above, if the M2P fufills you requirements why sell it? There will always be something more modern over the horizon.
I'd bet DJI's R&D department is working on the next one already and perhaps the replacement for that too. With regards to the resale value of an M2P google the second hand prices of Mavic Mini-s, they have dropped a bit but are still fairly good and quite a bit depends on how good the advert is.
On the likes of ebay it is my observation that sensible/low starting prices often do better than high starting prices. I have, on occassions, seen high price drones not get a single bid whilst simultaneous low priced drones have beaten the price starting price of the high priced drone. Auctions endings in the evening and at weekends tend to do better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on your budget . If you sell your current drone will you be happy forking out the balance on what could be a 3000 euro/dollar drone if you opt for the fly more combo .

This is how I look at it:

- If you currently need your drone either for business or something important like travel, don't get rid of it yet. Any small amount of resale value potentially lost by waiting longer will not be worth missing out on that usage.

- If you definitely cannot afford the version of the M3 you want (remember the prices vary dramatically depending which kit you want), then keep what you have until that changes. Everyone is focusing on that $4600 rumored price for the Cine package and in reality most people will not be buying that version - the fly more combo is rumored at $2600.

- If you can easily afford the M3, and don't need your current drone for anything important, consider selling it so you're ready to jump on a M3 when available

- The M3 is clearly a better drone in every aspect (based on the leaks), but if none of those affect what you do currently, consider keeping the M2P. If there is a M3 feature you are after, then that's great - get one.

Other things to keep in mind:

- M3 pricing so far is just rumored, could be more, could be less

- Availability might be extremely scarce as popularity and supply are both big unknowns at the moment, so if you do sell your M2P now, be prepared for the possibility of going months without a drone while you wait for M3 stock

- Depending on the scarcity of the M3, M2P prices may remain stable or increase slightly after the fact

- Everyone and their dog knows the M3 is coming in a couple weeks, so that should already be priced in and used M2P prices should already reflect that in the current market. Given that you haven't sold yours yet, you probably don't have much to lose by keeping it a bit longer regardless.

@AroundTheWorld ,not sure of your location ,which could affect the suitability of the Mavic 3, if you lived in the UK say, where it would need to have the new C rating after the end of 2022
another thing to consider is what you actually use your drone for ,and do you need the enhanced features that the drone appears to have, it seems to me that this new drone is aimed more at the professional end of the prosumer spectrum and is priced as such

Sorry I forgot to mention that I live in France. Would it be a problem then? Is the drone not supposed to be sold with that certificate included?

I would be interested by the enhanced features of the more expensive Mavic 3 Cinema but I cannot afford such a high price so I would consider buying the basic version only.

Last edited:

- Availability might be extremely scarce as popularity and supply are both big unknowns at the moment, so if you do sell your M2P now, be prepared for the possibility of going months without a drone while you wait for M3 stock

- Depending on the scarcity of the M3, M2P prices may remain stable or increase slightly after the fact
Interesting point. What we KNOW... 1) We are in the midst of inflation. (But I think DJI has baked that into the initial pricing) 2) Importation and internal transportation delays will create a shortage of product. Ergo, inflation, plus product shortage will push up the price of used drones, if nothing else based on immediate availability and comparative cost to the new drone model. It is entirely possible we will be seeing higher used prices for the Mavic 2 than today considering the future predictions. I could be wrong.

@AroundTheWorld You don't state where you live, which might make a difference.

I live in France.

@AroundTheWorld They have different models at different price points. Will the one that upgrades what you have worth the extra cost? Or will one of the lower level M3's that you can afford be dumbed down to the point where buying the new model makes little sense?

That's exactly what I'm trying to find out. Since I could only afford the lower version of the Mavic 3, would it be worth upgrading from my Mavic 2 Pro?

The thing I don't like about my Mavic 2 Pro that makes me consider buying a new drone is that I have softness issue on a large part of the image. And it could be a problem since I slowly started to use my drone to earn money. However, I'm not selling enough pictures or videos to the point that I should buy the cinema version. That's something I could consider but not at the moment.

@AroundTheWorld
I think another thing to hold out for is to see how the Autel EVO III stacks up. As I compare the EVO II to the Mavic 2 Pro, while the EVO has some nicer features, there are some current drawbacks in comparison such as handling, power, range. If Autel can step up and solve those deficiencies I would be more prone to go with an EVO III as there are some drawbacks to being in the DJI ecosystem.

That's right it could be another option. However do you know if the Autel Evo 3 is going to be sold in Europe and more particularly in France? I always thought that Autel products were available in the US only?

Last edited:
Aside from the above, if the M2P fufills you requirements why sell it? There will always be something more modern over the horizon.
I'd bet DJI's R&D department is working on the next one already and perhaps the replacement for that too. With regards to the resale value of an M2P google the second hand prices of Mavic Mini-s, they have dropped a bit but are still fairly good and quite a bit depends on how good the advert is.
On the likes of ebay it is my observation that sensible/low starting prices often do better than high starting prices. I have, on occassions, seen high price drones not get a single bid whilst simultaneous low priced drones have beaten the price starting price of the high priced drone. Auctions endings in the evening and at weekends tend to do better.

Thanks for your advices. It's true that I have seen the same thing about the eBay auctions.

To answer your questions, I'm satisfied with the Mavic 2 Pro except for the softness issue that I mentioned on my previous message and it starts to be a problem since I would like to be able to use my drone in a professional way.

Depends on your budget . If you sell your current drone will you be happy forking out the balance on what could be a 3000 euro/dollar drone if you opt for the fly more combo .

I would not be able to buy the cinema version nore the basic Mavic 3 in fly more combo. I could afford the most basic package only.

- If you currently need your drone either for business or something important like travel, don't get rid of it yet. Any small amount of resale value potentially lost by waiting longer will not be worth missing out on that usage.

- If you definitely cannot afford the version of the M3 you want (remember the prices vary dramatically depending which kit you want), then keep what you have until that changes. Everyone is focusing on that $4600 rumored price for the Cine package and in reality most people will not be buying that version - the fly more combo is rumored at $2600.

- If you can easily afford the M3, and don't need your current drone for anything important, consider selling it so you're ready to jump on a M3 when available

- The M3 is clearly a better drone in every aspect (based on the leaks), but if none of those affect what you do currently, consider keeping the M2P. If there is a M3 feature you are after, then that's great - get one.

Other things to keep in mind:

- M3 pricing so far is just rumored, could be more, could be less

- Everyone and their dog knows the M3 is coming in a couple weeks, so that should already be priced in and used M2P prices should already reflect that in the current market. Given that you haven't sold yours yet, you probably don't have much to lose by keeping it a bit longer regardless.
Thank you for your message. It's an interesting point of view that is probably going to convince me to keep my Mavic 2 Pro a little longer especially considering the situation with the market and the fact that I will probably need a drone for my next travel in January.

Interesting point. What we KNOW... 1) We are in the midst of inflation. (But I think DJI has baked that into the initial pricing) 2) Importation and internal transportation delays will create a shortage of product. Ergo, inflation, plus product shortage will push up the price of used drones, if nothing else based on immediate availability and comparative cost to the new drone model. It is entirely possible we will be seeing higher used prices for the Mavic 2 than today considering the future predictions. I could be wrong.

And yeah I agree with you, it's quite possible that the shortage issues will affect the price of the Mavic 2 Pro and I could probably sell it at a higher price later if the same thing that happened with the graphic cards market reach the drone market as well.

@AroundTheWorld ,you would have to check if the C rating for drones in France is the same as in the UK go on the EASA site to find out

I live in France.

The thing I don't like about my Mavic 2 Pro that makes me consider buying a new drone is that I have softness issue on a large part of the image. And it could be a problem since I slowly started to use my drone to earn money. However, I'm not selling enough pictures or videos to the point that I should buy the cinema version. That's something I could consider but not at the moment.

That's right it could be another option. However do you know if the Autel Evo 3 is going to be sold in Europe and more particularly in France? I always thought that Autel products were available in the US only?
How long have you been having the "softness" issue? Is the drone still under warranty? Perhaps you should send it to the DJI facility in Europe for inspection and repair. The cost of repairing it, I'm sure, will be less than "upgrading". Also... do you really want to sell that drone to someone else knowing that there is an issue?

P.S. I love France. I was on a cultural exchange around the Paris area in 2004 and was sad to leave. However, I hate your computer keyboards :).

• Love
I put my M2P Fly More package plus a few other things on Craigslist and had a couple of inquiries.

But the rumored price made me hold off on selling it.

The other factor is the future EU requirements, which may cause a hassle because I've been flying in Europe and want to continue flying there.

Hi folks

I wanted to sell my Mavic 2 Pro in order to buy the new Mavic 3 but rumors are announcing such a high price that I'm not sure to be able to afford it and I'm wondering if I should keep the 2 Pro longer....

Do you think that my Mavic 2 Pro will loose his value if I wait too much time to sell it? The huge price gap between the 2 Pro and the 3 makes me think that I would still be able to sell it at a good price even few months after the release of the Mavic 3 Pro. What do you think about it?

Thanks for your advices
I've had my M2P since they first came out, and never had a single problem.
At the time some people waited purchasing the M2P assuming prices would fall over time, but it actually went up in price for a while. Keep in mind there's a worldwide silicon chip shortage.
Personally i am waiting a year, as I've had the same quandary.

How long have you been having the "softness" issue? Is the drone still under warranty? Perhaps you should send it to the DJI facility in Europe for inspection and repair. The cost of repairing it, I'm sure, will be less than "upgrading". Also... do you really want to sell that drone to someone else knowing that there is an issue?

P.S. I love France. I was on a cultural exchange around the Paris area in 2004 and was sad to leave. However, I hate your computer keyboards :).
I got the softness issue with the drone that I received under the replacement service offered by DJI Care.

It's not really visible unless you look at it on a 4K screen and all my Mavic 2 Pro had this issue on a different level but since I started to notice it, I couldn't forget it and I always expected a crystal clear and sharp image on such an expensive drone. Unfortunately it is not under warranty anymore.

Yeah France is a beautiful country, I'm glad that you liked it. However it has pros and cons like in every countries. Our keyboards are one of them haha

Hi folks

Thanks for your advices
My impression is that if your own. It seems that they hold their value over time and new releases pretty impressively well. No “slashing prices” after new addition released occurs at extremes as I would have suspected. Personally if I made a move or one in the future, I’m still keeping M2P BigByrd. No matter, it’s a proven winner. I sold my 1969 mint yellow and black stripe camaro (top flighted’ thrice) Z28 in 1976. Kept Factory. Aside a pair of hooker headers and a Holley 4banger. Still sobbing. Lol. Flysafe. Stay in the loop and Godspeed, your answer will come to you. Droniac.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty