DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I start With thé MM

laurent45

Reactions
Hi All
I am about to buy aMM, but seing all posts with issues due to piloting I start to question myself
As a background I have only used a cheap 50Usd drone with no gps no brushless motor. so it had bad stabilization and I had always to keep a eye on it
It means that I never pilot watching thru the app.
That Is why I wonder if I should first buy a cheaper drone (with GPS......) around 150Usd to practice more piloting with the app AND move to the Mini
Thanks for the advice as I get more and more stressed reading posts or lost drones by bad piloting

Reactions: TreeHugger
I started with a cheap drone with no gps or brushless motors got all my crashes out the way but the mm it became the best for me

You will definitely be able to pilot the MM more via the live video feed...its light years more controllable and thus enjoyable than a toy drone.

Coming from owning a couple of cheaper drones, the MM (Mavic Mini) blew my mind. The mini will actually hover with no input from the joysticks! It will also tolerate winds that seem impossible to fly in. The camera is amazingly stable with it's 3-axis movement. You can shake it around and yet the video remains smooth.

I would strongly advise getting the DJI Care Refresh warranty. That way you have two "Oops." that are covered. It's not that the mini is prone to accidents. It just inspires the confidence to push it further than you would inexpensive drones.

Reactions: vaderbloke
I just upgraded from a Tello, a decent $100 drone. The transition was pretty easy, especially since the MM is so much more responsive. I agree with Dino though, get the DJI Care Refresh if just for the peace of mind.

MikeG

Hi All
I am about to buy aMM, but seing all posts with issues due to piloting I start to question myself
As a background I have only used a cheap 50Usd drone with no gps no brushless motor. so it had bad stabilization and I had always to keep a eye on it
That Is why I wonder if I should first buy a cheaper drone (with GPS......) around 150Usd to practice more piloting with the app AND move to the Mini
Thanks for the advice as I get more and more stressed reading posts or lost drones by bad piloting
This is not necessarily an "inexpensive" hobby. Buy what you can afford.
The good, the bad, the ugly.
Bottom line - have FUN at whatever cost / agenda.

I would just get the MM as you will soon upgrade to this anyway, spend the money you saved by not buying a cheap drone on extra batteries

But expect limitations

Last edited:
Reactions: jlatas
Start with the MM with no extra batteries, avoid buy accessories because you will want the Mavic Air 2 very soon or the Mavic 2 Pro. You will learn quickly with the Mini.

The Mavic Air 2 is an excellent option even better than the Mini because the obstacle avoidance.

Reactions: Cobber
Buy the mini! I have a Phantom 3 Standard as my first drone. For a number of reasons, I just never felt comfortable flying the P3 or taking it anywhere: it’s bulky, it’s highly noticeable (i.e. non-droners get annoyed/spooked easily by it); it has a limited range; and it’s just freaking LOUD...like 10 swarms of angry bees.

The mini is just all around better: less noisy; lower profile; much more user friendly and easier to use the DJIFly app compared to the DJI Go App; longer range (one video I saw flight tested it to 3 miles away with a controlled “landing” (crash) about 100 ft from the user; and sleek looking (if you like aesthetics). The best analogy I can think of is you want a Lamborghini but realize maybe that’s just too much car for you so you opt for a corvette (or similarly priced sports car).

I just got my mini fly more package and so far I love it. For nostalgia, I busted out my P3 and after 5 minutes decided to pack that back away: Nope! Lol. If you can spare the extra $100, I’d get the fly more combo. It seems like a heck of a good deal.

I will caveat that I am a relatively new cross over to the MM and have only owned one other drone before this, so realize I’m sort of a noob in this community—I am also solely a recreational user. But for what it’s worth, I feel like the MM just reinvigorated my passion for this hobby. Best wishes and luck for whatever road you choose!

Buy the mini! I have a Phantom 3 Standard as my first drone. For a number of reasons, I just never felt comfortable flying the P3 or taking it anywhere: it’s bulky, it’s highly noticeable (i.e. non-droners get annoyed/spooked easily by it); it has a limited range; and it’s just freaking LOUD...like 10 swarms of angry bees.
ditto on all of that!

Reactions: BearGrillsBare
I would go for the MA2 if I were you. The Mini will just trigger lust for a MA2 (or better). And after that you can consider if you want the Mini :). The MA2 is quite fantastic, it has what the Mini lacks (range, wind resistance). That said: the Mini is a great drone so you cant go wrong with either.

Hi All

DO NOT BUY THE CHEAPER DRONE TO START... They are "throw-aways".
I thought the same thing and bought a Eachine EX4 (same as JRCC X-12 and C-Fly Faith) for $250. They appear to be hit and miss in terms of quality control. I got a defective one and had great difficulty getting Banggood to live up to their published warranty info. If you crash it, and you will, there is no place in the US to get it fixed! Not sure about Europe.

A Mavic Mini will be more money, $500 with the fly more kit (but you might find a discount somewhere) but is way worth the difference in price. While only 2.7k video, you can stil make professional looking videos and photos and the thing is so stable the only drawback being that it lacks a little power to battle strong winds. In good conditions the range is excellent. If you're just learning to fly, you get the Mini, put it in the C-mode (slow) and take it to and open area in the park and learn to maneuver it. You will be surprised at how fast you will develop basic skills. In two weeks your skill will be far beyond the capability of the cheap drones. JMO YMMV

Reactions: RMS001
I had no experience with drones but started with pro platinum, studied manual & watched lots of you tube before flying, it worked out fine. Good Luck

Reactions: Flynz
I had no experience with drones but started with pro platinum, studied manual & watched lots of you tube before flying, it worked out fine. Good Luck

The MPP is an excellent beginner drone as well, a lot more forgiving in changing weather conditions where the extra power helps

Reactions: pelagic_one
If you are in the US and decide to buy a Mini, check my nearly new offering (with lots of extras, including DJI Refresh) on the classifieds page.

I think it's funny how everyone says the MM doesn't handle the wind well. I guess it's all what you're used to. No big surprise but my toy drone was MUCH worse at handling wind. I'm sure the larger Mavics handle it even better but at the moment I guess I'm still in the honeymoon stage and impressed with how the MM handles the wind.

MikeG

Reactions: zeusfl and dino9832
Hi All
If you are tight for $$$, get the Mini.

If you can afford it, get the Mavic Air 2. Best with the Fly More package, but not essential if it hurts the pocketbook. This will stop you from having to buy a more expensive drone later once you see their advantages over the Mini. MA2 is my second drone. It will actually do most, if not all, jobs that the more expensive dones do. The only shortcoming, for me, is that I cannot yet use DroneDeploy or Pix4D on MA2 for mapping.

Reactions: Gary R
I think it's funny how everyone says the MM doesn't handle the wind well. I guess it's all what you're used to. No big surprise but my toy drone was MUCH worse at handling wind. I'm sure the larger Mavics handle it even better but at the moment I guess I'm still in the honeymoon stage and impressed with how the MM handles the wind.

MikeG
I was actually pleasantly surprised with the Mini’s performance in the wind. 15mph was easily handled.

Reactions: zeusfl
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair