DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I update my Go4 App if I'm on old firmware?

KiterTodd

Reactions
My Mavic is on .400 and has been working fine with it for a year.

I also have not updated my Go4 app in that time. It's on 4.0.8
Am I missing out on any features of the app that are worth an upgrade? I was not sure if the new app will bring with it increased nags to update my firmware and/or increased login or GPS restrictions. If it brings more features, great, if it brings more restrictions, I'll pass.

Everything seems to be working fine. Once in an odd while I'll get a camera shake followed by camera drift, but it passes. And it is very infrequent (once every 10 flights, maybe)

I typically am in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp, but it's been a year. Figured I'd ask again. Thumbswayup

Good question. I'm in the same boat. My plan is to leave as is.

Reactions: dewster
Good question. I'm in the same boat. My plan is to leave as is.
Last time I asked (many months ago) the answer was they don't have to match; you can update the App and not the firmware. BUT, there have been a lot of changes, controls and security features since then. Didn't want to end up in a position where I couldn't go back to what I'm using now.

Reactions: dewster and sonof40
I to am a ( If it ain't broke don't fix it ) kinda guy. I read the release notes on any updates and if it don't look to be beneficial and all is working fine I leave them alone.

Am I missing out on any features of the app that are worth an upgrade? I was not sure if the new app will bring with it increased nags to update my firmware and/or increased login or GPS restrictions. If it brings more features, great, if it brings more restrictions, I'll pass.

Everything seems to be working fine. Once in an odd while I'll get a camera shake followed by camera drift, but it passes. And it is very infrequent (once every 10 flights, maybe)

I typically am in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp, but it's been a year. Figured I'd ask again. Thumbswayup
I'm with you with the if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Too risky, several times I've had problems updating

Running .400 here as well on both my Mavs.
They have been flawless for well over a year.

For the record, I am running the newest firmware and software, also with NO ISSUES.
Seems most of the trouble is with older Android devices, If thats what you have, I probably wouldn't update if everything works for you.

I am on firmware 0700 which works great. I have kept updating the app and it has been working fine. I'm on iOS 11.2.6 but will be upgrading to iOS 11.3 soon. I like the freedom that the older firmware versions allow and don't miss any of the features added later.

I also stick with the current setup (Firmware .900, DJI Go 4.1.3), as we say "never touch a running system".

Am I mistaken, or did firmware updates past .900 introduce image/video quality issues (water-color or washed out colors)? I remember there were some discussion about that around firmware .1000?

The EASIEST way to figure out if you’re missing out on fixes or feature updates—and I’m sure you are, is to download and read the software release notes for each revision after the one you’re running. I’ve had DJI birds since the original “Phantom 1”, called simply the Phantom and I’ve always updated pretty soon after each release once someone says “A-OK”, and never had any issues.

A couple times a year I fly in an area that is legal to fly, but for some reason GPS blocked on newer firmware. (it's an unmanned dormant airstrip, authorization zone) I had to revert back to .400 to be able to fly there, otherwise it comes up as a no-fly zone on newer versions. Don't want to risk a firmware update if there are still false map issues causing people problems.

But, I'd update the Go4 App if it brings more with it and check it out.

That's a good idea regarding updating the app only a second device. I'll try that out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000