DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I wait for Mavic 3 Pro?

mswlogo

Reactions
I’m a complete newbie.

I bought the base Mavic Air 2 kit.

Didn’t know what the “more” Kit was and thought it was reseller crap added. Then I realized that’s what a should have bought.

So I returned the base kit about to reorder with the more kit but since then I learned a lot of what I want.

I really want to have the option of getting the goggles. That brings me to the Mavic Pro 2. But you lose a lot of Mavic Air 2 options I like.

Should I just wait?

I like the camera on Mavic Pro 2 and the extra sensors. I like the HDR Video and Tracker 3.0 and the AirSense on Mavic Air 2.

If a Mavic Pro 3 offered Smart Controller and Goggle package I’d probably go for that.

One thing that I get confused on is the new restrictions coming. Does that mean old drones can’t fly without hardware restrictions. Isn’t that end of year? What are guesstimates on Mavic Pro 3.

What exists today that would be close to a Mavic pro 3? (besides a Mavic Pro 2).

If new goggles for Mavic Air 2 we’re on the horizon I’d just go ahead and re order Mavic air 2 with more combo right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hauptmann
To use something as a comparison: my phone works but is getting old, so I was looking at new models. Then it occurred to me that new models for this mfg always come out in September. "I can wait 4 months", I said.

You don't know when the next Mavic Pro will come out.. My new phone might be delayed by a month or two due to the pandemic, but the M3P could be a year away or more.

What do you plan on doing between now and whenever?

I’m a complete newbie.

Didn’t know what the “more” Kit was and thought it was reseller crap added. Then I realized that’s what a should have bought.

So I returned the base kit about to reorder with the more kit but since then I learned a lot of what I want.

I really want to have the option of getting the goggles. That brings me to the Mavic Pro 2. But you lose a lot of Mavic Air 2 options I like.

Should I just wait?

I like the camera on Mavic Pro 2 and the extra sensors. I like the HDR Video and Tracker 3.0 and the AirSense on Mavic Air 2.

If a Mavic Pro 3 offered Smart Controller and Goggle package I’d probably go for that.

One thing that I get confused on is the new restrictions coming. Does that mean old drones can’t fly without hardware restrictions. Isn’t that end of year? What are guesstimates on Mavic Pro 3.

What exists today that would be close to a Mavic pro 3? (besides a Mavic Pro 2).

If new goggles for Mavic Air 2 we’re on the horizon I’d just go ahead and re order Mavic air 2 with more combo right now.
There’s an excellent chance the goggles will work in a firmware update.

Reactions: Hauptmann
There’s an excellent chance the goggles will work in a firmware update.

Been reading up on that. It needs OccuSync 2.0 with multiple channels for proper support. My understanding is MA2 may only have a single channel. That’s why the responses from DJI are a flat out. No.

I think the Mavic 3 will need to have the CE mark for Europe - a type approval for the new regulations that replace PfCO. Talk of needing a squawk transponder etc for approval for the new regs - these go live in UK June 1st but have been bumped to Nov 1st. Just as well as no one makes any compliant kit yet!!!

I’m a complete newbie.

Should I just wait?

Why do people post inquiries like this? If 50% (or choose your percentage) of responders say wait and 50% (or choose your percentage) say don't wait, is this really helpful?

If you have the MA2, I'd wait. I'm not sure what's meant by "multi channel" whether that's multi-band (2.4/5 Ghz) or channels within the band but OC2 specs specifically take advantage of use of multiple channels within a band.

M2 initially had issues with the goggles, often having to resort to less than optimal settings. I can't see why the MA2 can't be made to work with the goggles or the smart controller.

If you have the MA2, I'd wait. I'm not sure what's meant by "multi channel" whether that's multi-band (2.4/5 Ghz) or channels within the band but OC2 specs specifically take advantage of use of multiple channels within a band.

M2 initially had issues with the goggles, often having to resort to less than optimal settings. I can't see why the MA2 can't be made to work with the goggles or the smart controller.

I already returned MA2. Because I realized the base kit wasn’t a smart choice.

M2 can handle MULTIPLE controllers. You use the sync button to pair secondary controllers. The goggles are essentially a second controller that can talk to drone over and independent channel. The MA2 has no sync button for secondary controllers. If MA2 gets goggles I think it will be new goggles.

I just ordered M2P with RE goggles. Refurb (basically a return) from DJI for 1649.00 basically goggles for free. Free 30 return if I’m not happy.

I bought goggles a few years ago. Used them once--the day I bought them. I was flying with a non-drone owner, so one of us could "play pilot", the other could watch.

Since then, I've always flown alone or with other owners/pilots, so there's never anyone to use the goggles. So I leave 'em home--one less bulky object to lug around.

If your experience is similar as mine during the 30 day "trial" period, you may decide to return your M2P, and buy that MA2, which sounds like a fantastic machine (with Flymore kit).

Later, when the M3P comes out, you can weigh its features against the MA2, and decide whether or not to upgrade. My gut feeling is that the M3P will prove to be a must-have!

Last edited:
I’ve heard rumors of Q1 2021 too. And Covid might delay things.

I got such a good deal on this M2P with head set it was to hard to resist. I’ll learn a lot of what I want or don’t want with it. Can always return it.

I’m a complete newbie.

Should I just wait?

Nope.

Rumours are July Aug if you can wait i would wait thats me though
Those sort of rumours are always complete fiction.
The drone web is full of people that are forever making up nonsense rumours.
No-one has any idea when or if DJI will produce an M3 until a couple of weeks before it happens .. when there is an FCC approval.

Those sort of rumours are always complete fiction.
The drone web is full of people that are forever making up nonsense rumours.
No-one has any idea when or if DJI will produce an M3 until a couple of weeks before it happens .. when there is an FCC approval.

Very true and I find it frustrating how often people don't just take these made up rumours as cast in stone but base their buying decisions around them. These sites simply couldn't function on the small amount of genuine leaks that usually emerge a short time before a launch so they have to spend most of their time making up rumours and getting people to spread them yet somehow despite the fact they're completely wrong most of the time (like the Mavic 3 Pro in January), it doesn't seem to affect their credibility.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60