DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should we promote good pilot behaviour?

Do you think we should promote good pilot behaviour on this forum?

• No

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmoerel

Reactions
Worldwide the lawmakers are eying are hobby more and more closely. Many countries have rules guiding us. Other countries have recommendations. Some countries outright ban us.

Now it has come to my attention that there are individuals which will disrespect the rules and cause trouble.
Flying in NFZs, flying over groups of people, flying out of VLOS, etc.

Each time some incident happens because of this irresponsible behaviour, the law and the press pounce on it and try to use these incidents to promote ever tighter rules. If things go on like this we will slowly but surely be banned out of existence!

I think that we should promote proper behaviour on this site and try to educate other pilots that when they go outside of the set rules they are endangering our hobby.
Right now though this does not seem to be appreciated by the moderators as they allow distance-record, height-record and other discussions to thrive. This will incite people to break the rules as they want to take part. Not a good idea!!

So vote and let us know what you think!

Already the case. But those who do stupid things don't come here, or only do so after the fact (with an "I crashed my drone" thread)...

"Promote" good behavior? yes. Criticize, condemn and attack those we disagree with? No.
I am not attacking those I disagree with. I am disagreeing with those who endanger my freedom of flying a drone!

The one thing we need to understand is that freedom comes with a responsibility. If you abuse your freedom you risk to limit mine. And I strongly disagree with that yes!

There is already a rules and regulations area for those wishing to follow the rules to their hearts content but this forum is not a police forum for mavic pilots.

Secondly this is also a site where innovation and technological advances are discussed and sometimes acted upon. Often the information provided from that with logs, failures and other associated problems can be made clear and solutions found.

The Mavic range leader board has many of that innovative design incorporated into the discussion.

We are not the authority of Drone pilots if that is what is required then maybe you should consider starting an organisation and encouraging people to join that or encourage them to join other organisations.

Moderating many of these people out of this forum would lead to an early death not only for the forum but also for the information contained in the flight ogs and the discussions afterwards.

Many of these were BVLOS flights.

We are not an authority and nor are the moderators, we are not in a uniform and there is a big difference between promoting safe flying and banning who posts what for discussion.

Are you saying that if someone asks for help with a problem that because they flew bvlos, we should ban that post and offer no help.

If you really feel that this forum does not act in the specific way you require maybe you can create your own forum and moderate it in the way you wish to see this one moderated.

There are unsafe flyers and with or without this forum there always will be.

For me the information this forum has gained outweighs the forum becoming a drone police state.

It's one thread... There are hundreds of others where people get yelled at for doing stupid things and/or that encourage responsible flying.
There are still people who will do these regardless of what you show them. It's their choice and responsibility.

Being in Switzerland you should know that the authorities are sensible, recognise it's a personal responsibility and decided not to introduce any additional wide scope rules or restrictions precisely because like in most places the existing legal bases already allow prosecuting someone doing something stupid.

Reactions: Gary cato
Thousands and thousands of drones out there so good luck with your quest.I do agree with your intentions but policing it is another matter.Like all hobbies,sport and life in general safety should come first.Unfortunately as Kilrah posted most don't frequent here to take advise on board.
I suspect in some cases if you approached some people and told them you are breaking the drone code they will tell you to fxxk off and black your eye.

Reactions: Gary cato
There is already a rules and regulations area for those wishing to follow the rules to their hearts content but this forum is not a police forum for mavic pilots.
  • I never meant it to be

Secondly this is also a site where innovation and technological advances are discussed and sometimes acted upon. Often the information provided from that with logs, failures and other associated problems can be made clear and solutions found.
  • I agree so label it as research and not breaking limits as this sends a wrong message.

The Mavic range leader board has many of that innovative design incorporated into the discussion.
  • Agree - See above

We are not the authority of Drone pilots if that is what is required then maybe you should consider starting an organisation and encouraging people to join that or encourage them to join other organisations.
  • We all have a responsibility. We are all drone fliers and we should promote our hobby in a positive way anywhere. In life it is either self-regulate or be regulated by the authorities. Which one would you rather choose?

Moderating many of these people out of this forum would lead to an early death not only for the forum but also for the information contained in the flight ogs and the discussions afterwards.
  • I don't want to moderate people away. But we should advise people on what the consequences of their actions are. And how they are limiting the freedoms of others when acting outside of reasonable. These are the basic principles of democracy!

• Yes. And bragging about breaking the rules is a great idea....

We are not an authority and nor are the moderators, we are not in a uniform and there is a big difference between promoting safe flying and banning who posts what for discussion.
  • I never said anything about banning!!

Are you saying that if someone asks for help with a problem that because they flew bvlos, we should ban that post and offer no help.
  • Again no. We should help them and make them aware what they might be doing to the community!

If you really feel that this forum does not act in the specific way you require maybe you can create your own forum and moderate it in the way you wish to see this one moderated.
  • Wow - you know the easy way out!

• Sure. And we should condone them?

For me the information this forum has gained outweighs the forum becoming a drone police state.
  • Agree. And we should not become the police. We cannot enforce laws but we can make lawbreakers aware of the consequences to both them and us!

Worldwide the lawmakers are eying are hobby more and more closely. Many countries have rules guiding us. Other countries have recommendations. Some countries outright ban us.

Now it has come to my attention that there are individuals which will disrespect the rules and cause trouble.
Flying in NFZs, flying over groups of people, flying out of VLOS, etc.

Each time some incident happens because of this irresponsible behaviour, the law and the press pounce on it and try to use these incidents to promote ever tighter rules. If things go on like this we will slowly but surely be banned out of existence!

I think that we should promote proper behaviour on this site and try to educate other pilots that when they go outside of the set rules they are endangering our hobby.
Right now though this does not seem to be appreciated by the moderators as they allow distance-record, height-record and other discussions to thrive. This will incite people to break the rules as they want to take part. Not a good idea!!

So vote and let us know what you think!
The answer of course is yes. BUT should we also be big brother to everyone here and censor posts that are not appropriate in lieu of offering reasonable criticism ? I'm not sure about that.

It's one thread... There are hundreds of others where people get yelled at for doing stupid things and/or that encourage responsible flying.
There are still people who will do these regardless of what you show them. It's their choice and responsibility.

Being in Switzerland you should know that the authorities are sensible, recognise it's a personal responsibility and decided not to introduce any additional wide scope rules or restrictions precisely because like in most places the existing legal bases already allow prosecuting someone doing something stupid.

You are so right. Personal responsibility is they key here. And when we are irresponsible the lawmakers will make sure they can force us to comply.
So lets not yell at people but lets show them that acting responsibly is the way forward. Respecting other peoples freedoms means acting responsibly too! So when observing irresponsible behaviour we should advise the person as they are limiting our freedom.
And I say advise and not police. Policing is not our job as we have no basis to enforce a law!

The answer of course is yes. BUT should we also be big brother to everyone here and censor posts that are not appropriate in lieu of offering reasonable criticism ? I'm not sure about that.
I never said we should censor......I'd rather we educate those limiting our freedoms by their irresponsible behaviour!

I never said we should censor......I'd rather we educate those limiting our freedoms by their irresponsible behaviour!
I think we are doing just that already. The next move would be to delete posts, and that's censorship

Reactions: Kilrah
  • I never meant it to be

• I agree so label it as research and not breaking limits as this sends a wrong message.

• Agree - See above

• We all have a responsibility. We are all drone fliers and we should promote our hobby in a positive way anywhere. In life it is either self-regulate or be regulated by the authorities. Which one would you rather choose?

• I don't want to moderate people away. But we should advise people on what the consequences of their actions are. And how they are limiting the freedoms of others when acting outside of reasonable. These are the basic principles of democracy!

• Yes. And bragging about breaking the rules is a great idea....

• I never said anything about banning!!

• Again no. We should help them and make them aware what they might be doing to the community!

• Wow - you know the easy way out!

• Sure. And we should condone them?

• Agree. And we should not become the police. We cannot enforce laws but we can make lawbreakers aware of the consequences to both them and us!
Then if you wish to make them aware you will be doing that on pretty much 70 per cent of the posts here. You also have an easy way out it is called not reading threads you do not like.

renaming the mavic range leader board to research still does not change the way someone flew or how far they flew the same post would still be there. So the same information will be contained but as you wish to conduct this with sarcasm i will not continue to reply as it is you who wanted serious discussion.

Your reply's to my points are meaningless comments
enjoy your flying

Your reply's to my points are meaningless comments
enjoy your flying
Wow....someone takes the time to reply to your points and you deem it meaningless. Way to go my friend!!

Maybe you should take your stance to YouTube. There are far more examples of bad drone behaviour there and more likely to encourage more bad behaviour and bring the hobby into disrepute

Reactions: Kilrah
Maybe you should take your stance to YouTube. There are far more examples of bad drone behaviour there and more likely to encourage more bad behaviour and bring the hobby into disrepute
Youtube is not a great place for anything. Crap quality, death daring and stupid stuff seems to be what attracts the views there.
I had a hope that on a forum of passionate people there would be a bit more common sense.

Well, I think people do a pretty good job trying to educate others here. I'm involved with the Australian Aviation Authority and I would direct new pilots to these forums as a source of information. Sorry you aren't happy with these forums, but I guess you know you don't need to be here

Reactions: True fly and Kilrah
Well, I think people do a pretty good job trying to educate others here. I'm involved with the Australian Aviation Authority and I would direct new pilots to these forums as a source of information. Sorry you aren't happy with these forums, but I guess you know you don't need to be here
I never said i wasn't happy with these forums. I just get a feeling that if you try to promote responsible flying here some people will try to burn you down.
I understand that criticism is not always well taken but some introspection is needed too. This world seems to be more and more a my-myself-and-I world were people want all the liberties with total disregard of the liberties of others.
I really value most of the good information on this forum and I hope to add whatever I can. But I also see a worrying trend of overconfident people breaking all kinds of rules and talking proudly of their achievements. This does not bode well for the future of our hobby.

And when we are irresponsible the lawmakers will make sure they can force us to comply.
Again they don't need to becasue they already can prosecute you if you don't comply. You can't "force anyone to comply" with new regulations, only by enforcing them - or those that are already there, and there's no need for anything new to do that.

we can make lawbreakers aware of the consequences to both them and us!
99% of the time they do know them, just willingly choose to break them anyway. You're not going to change that.

Youtube is not a great place for anything. Crap quality, death daring and stupid stuff seems to be what attracts the views there.
Well it IS what encourages people to do the same at the same time and proves it's "worth it" from the success it attracts. Orders of magnitude more than what happens on this forum.

I just get a feeling that if you try to promote responsible flying here some people will try to burn you down.
Most of the threads where it applies get their share of "nanny" answers already.

Actually the leaderboard thread was full of that initially. Got "cleaned up" becasue everytime that's brought up it turns into a fight between people who want to reason/police and those who want to express their desires of freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett