DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should you be required to show proof of TRUST certification when buying a Drone in the U.S.?

spsphotos

Reactions
THought about this for a while. Since you cannot fly a drone in the U.S. legally now without TRUST certification should there be laws in place that require you to prove you have taken the TRUST or Part 107 before being able to purchase one? Would solve a few issues IMHO.

While you can buy a car without a license, it's actually difficult for an individual as you do need to show ID and most lenders will not finance you, nor will it be easy to register/insure it.

Guns, at least handguns, in most states require you to have a permit (which I am fine with BTW even though I am a gun rights advocate...I have no issue with stricter gun laws like better background checks and closing loopholes).

But when it comes to drones it seems to be the wild west. Can't begin to count the number of people I know who purchased a drone and when asked if they took the TRUST test or were getting their 107 looked at me like I had grown two heads.

Reactions: Puerto Rico Droner
no. period. full stop. I think the worries about drones are way over done. There has never been a death due to a drone running into a plane. With millions of drones being flown you can count the incidents of any kind on a few hands. Drones make people angry and afraid and admittedly -could- cause an accident and should be regulated in some way but no...Mary Johnson should be able to buy a car for cash as a present and put a new drone in the backseat bought for cash with no ID. [Comment removed by ADMIN]

Last edited by a moderator:
THought about this for a while. Since you cannot fly a drone in the U.S. legally now without TRUST certification should there be laws in place that require you to prove you have taken the TRUST or Part 107 before being able to purchase one? Would solve a few issues IMHO.

While you can buy a car without a license, it's actually difficult for an individual as you do need to show ID and most lenders will not finance you, nor will it be easy to register/insure it.

Guns, at least handguns, in most states require you to have a permit (which I am fine with BTW even though I am a gun rights advocate...I have no issue with stricter gun laws like better background checks and closing loopholes).

But when it comes to drones it seems to be the wild west. Can't begin to count the number of people I know who purchased a drone and when asked if they took the TRUST test or were getting their 107 looked at me like I had grown two heads.
The FAA doesn't require it so the answer is pretty simple. No.

OK, points taken. Then maybe drone manufacturers and/or retail outlets should be including some sort of info sheet with drone purchases that state that you should check your local, state, and federal rules before flying for the first time.

Then maybe drone manufacturers and/or retail outlets should be including some sort of info sheet with drone purchases that state that you should check your local, state, and federal rules before flying for the first time.
What makes you think they care?

Reactions: mavictk and @Rip
should there be laws in place that require you to prove you have taken the TRUST or Part 107 before being able to purchase one?
No, no more laws. But there would be a lot less I lost my new drone the first second or third time I flew it if new owners were required to show proof that they had read the owner's manual.... 3 times lol

Reactions: Hermey
Nope. I almost responded out of impulse as soon as the thread was posted.
Glad I waited cuz there are other perspectives here I did not think about.
  1. Is it a gift?
  2. Does the purchaser want to fly it only indoors?
  3. Still need a TRUST Cert as far as I know.*
  4. No new ambiguous laws that really wont or cannot be enforced.
  5. Over .55 lbs register it but not before you have it in your hands.
There needs to be some kind of support system for those who wish or are buying new drones. Sometimes WE need to be that system. (In support of our mission and public perception) Most of the time someone buying a drone is familiar with someone else that already has one. Looks cool I want one.

In order to steer them in the right direction we need to speak out and help them do the right thing. They don't know this stuff for the most part.

A neighbor bought his a few days ago and I sent him the links to TRUST approved resources. I sent him the links to FAA drone zone and other resources to familiarize himself with what he is actually getting in to. He was thankful.

It is definitely a "beginner drone" but heavy enough to warrant registration for sure. (including TRUST).. Anyway I vote for no new LAWS or REGS. wont help those who will just disregard them anyway.

So my answer is No. Laws and Regs mean politics are involved. Keep them out of it.

Reactions: Hermey
Nope. I almost responded out of impulse as soon as the thread was posted.
Glad I waited cuz there are other perspectives here I did not think about.
  1. Is it a gift?
  2. Does the purchaser want to fly it only indoors?
  3. Still need a TRUST Cert as far as I know.*
  4. No new ambiguous laws that really wont or cannot be enforced.
  5. Over .55 lbs register it but not before you have it in your hands.
There needs to be some kind of support system for those who wish or are buying new drones. Sometimes WE need to be that system. (In support of our mission and public perception) Most of the time someone buying a drone is familiar with someone else that already has one. Looks cool I want one.

In order to steer them in the right direction we need to speak out and help them do the right thing. They don't know this stuff for the most part.

A neighbor bought his a few days ago and I sent him the links to TRUST approved resources. I sent him the links to FAA drone zone and other resources to familiarize himself with what he is actually getting in to. He was thankful.

It is definitely a "beginner drone" but heavy enough to warrant registration for sure. (including TRUST).. Anyway I vote for no new LAWS or REGS. wont help those who will just disregard them anyway.

So my answer is No. Laws and Regs mean politics are involved. Keep them out of it.
"We" includes this forum. I have learned SO much from this forum so let me say Thanks to everyone.

DJI will not let you start up your new drone without activation. They happily over-enforce airspace around the world. This is all in an effort to keep us safer and reduce the bad press regarding drones.
I could see them making a person submit proof of a completed Trust certificate in order to activate their new drone. Then the “I didn’t know excuse”, just did a fly-away.

DJI will not let you start up your new drone without activation. They happily over-enforce airspace around the world. This is all in an effort to keep us safer and reduce the bad press regarding drones.
I could see them making a person submit proof of a completed Trust certificate in order to activate their new drone. Then the “I didn’t know excuse”, just did a fly-away.
I love the idea of private, market driven self-regulation. Manufacturers have an incentive to make sure that government doesn't take over and regulate them out of a product to sell. I love the idea of public/private partnership to come up with reasonable solutions to public concerns. Everyone wins. I have no problem at all requiring the completion of a free online training specifically tailored for drone safety in order to activate and fly. Nor do I object to allowing my cell phone's internet connection to transmit my DRONE's location when in areas of dense air traffic below 500 feet (yes I built in a buffer area) if that would put to bed this Remote ID nonsense. They don't need MY location to keep the skies safe. Just need to know where the drone is. There it is: a narrow tailored regulation to achieve a compelling State interest without violating anyone's Fourth Amendment rights (for all of you US based forum members).

I noticed when I got my Mini 3 that inside the box were various small papers pointing out that the EU and Australia had drone laws that governed the Mini 3 and giving links to them online.

I have suggested to my MP that requiring retailers to provide a fact sheet on the laws governing drones would be a good idea. The whole Transport Canada page on how to fly legally and safely would fit on one page, and would eliminate the "I didn't know" defense. I'm certain the equivalent FAA information would also fit into a small easily-read sheet.

A fact sheet would allow for gift purchases while also ensuring that purchasers know their responsibilities.

Reactions: @Rip

I get your point. Some idiot buys a drone and has no idea of the need for a TRUST certificate. He pilots this drone over people, he sees how high he can go, 1000 feet? 1640? This is probably the same guy that flies his drone over a football stadium packed with people...because he can.

I get your point. There should be some proof that you know the basic rules and that you know you are required to abide by them. It is a safety issue and just common sense. Although the later seems to have disappeared..

Reactions: dart106
Seriously? I‘m dumbfounded by the question!

A big no, but I do see there will be some ideas in the future as something between a recreational and 107. With thousands of people just going in and buying a drone and putting it in the air will eventually lead to problems.

“Your papers, please”.
Yup. A driver's license if you're driving a car. Your passport if you're are traveling abroad. Your FFA Cert if you're flying a plane. A hunting license if you're hunting. A medical license if you're going to cut into me. The list goes on and on. It is making sure people are qualified to do a task or authorized to engage in an activity.

Reactions: finity
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derekleeth