DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should you take off with strong wireless interference warning

Fire Fox

Reactions
On most occasions when I switch my drone on I get a the following warning “strong wireless interference fly with caution” yes my device is in airplane mode so it’s not caused by that. The warning only shows before take off then It does not show after take off or during flight. Does it mean that if it shows once before the flight it applies the whole time or just for that moment? On two occasions after take off after a minute or so I had a yaw error compass error and imu error with loss of gps. Did the wireless warning message before take off warn against this problem or are they unrelated considering I have this message on nearly all flights in most locations? If you get this warning before takeoff and it goes away as you take off should you rather abandon the flight and see if you can find a location where the message doesn’t pop up?

in all the time i have had my MPP i have never seen that message on my screen,try deleting the app and doing a reinstall
and find a spot away from any metal and do a compass and IMU calibration ,one last thing to try is to do a pairing between the drone and RC

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
On most occasions when I switch my drone on I get a the following warning “strong wireless interference fly with caution” yes my device is in airplane mode so it’s not caused by that. The warning only shows before take off then It does not show after take off or during flight. Does it mean that if it shows once before the flight it applies the whole time or just for that moment?
Don't delete anything or reinstall anything or try relinking your controller. There's nothing wrong with your app or controller.

You are just trying to fly somewhere that there's a lot of radio interference, probably wifi.
If you don't hear from it again, you've flown away from the source of interference.
On two occasions after take off after a minute or so I had a yaw error compass error and imu error with loss of gps. Did the wireless warning message before take off warn against this problem or are they unrelated
Wireless interference is unrelated to a yaw error which comes from launching in a magnetically dirty environment.
Wireless interference won't do anything to your compass.

Last edited:
You should try flying a significant distance, say a couple of kilometres, away from where you are getting the interference messages. Wouldn't hurt to calibrate compass and IMU first, though that is probably unrelated. When you get the warning only at the beginning of the flight, the does not mean the conditions that caused the warning have abated when the warning goes off the screen.

You should try flying a significant distance, say a couple of kilometres, away from where you are getting the interference messages.
Wouldn't hurt to calibrate compass and IMU first, though that is probably unrelated.
When you get the warning only at the beginning of the flight, the does not mean the conditions that caused the warning have abated when the warning goes off the screen.
To avoid wireless interference, you don't have to move very far away (if there is only one source).
The issue is a source of wireless interference nearby (very common in urban areas).
It has nothing at all to do with compass or IMU and cannot have any effect on the compass or IMU.
There is no need to recalibrate anything.
It wouldn't make any difference.
If the interference was still present you would get frequent warnings.
If you just get one warning, you have flown away from the source and there is no more interference where the drone is now.

To avoid wireless interference, you don't have to move very far away (if there is only one source).
The issue is a source of wireless interference nearby (very common in urban areas).
It has nothing at all to do with compass or IMU and cannot have any effect on the compass or IMU.
There is no need to recalibrate anything.
It wouldn't make any difference.
If the interference was still present you would get frequent warnings.
If you just get one warning, you have flown away from the source and there is no more interference where the drone is now.

I mostly agree, though if the operator is still in a strong RFI area, that that can affect transmissions and reception at the controller even if the drone has flown to a relatively clean area. Thus my suggestion to take the easy troubleshooting step of relocating.

The OP mentioned he had a compass and IMU error. Again, maybe not related . . . but in troubleshooting it is often best to do the easy stuff first, even though it may not be the most likely cause. As a Navy ET, that was one of the basic rules before giving a piece of gear the "flotation test".

The OP mentioned he had a compass and IMU error. Again, maybe not related . . .
but in troubleshooting it is often best to do the easy stuff first, even though it may not be the most likely cause.
He was talking about an unrelated condition .. a yaw error incident, which is a completely different thing.
A yaw error incident is caused by magnetic interference at the launch point.
It has nothing to do with wifi interference.
Wifi interference makes no difference to the compass.

Thanks for the responses. most of the flights do occur near cell towers and houses with WiFi. But I don’t understand why the message only appears just before take off or during take off then does not show again even when I land at the same spot. It occurs about 80% of the time but not after take off and even if I fly near a house or cell tower. I suspected that when I had the compass, yaw and imu error those may have been caused by metal near take off point like house roofs and so on.

"I suspected that when I had the compass, yaw and imu error those may have been caused by metal near take off point like house roofs and so on."

You launch off of roofs? That would be the only way to throw off the compass at takeoff if the roof was the source.

"I suspected that when I had the compass, yaw and imu error those may have been caused by metal near take off point like house roofs and so on."

You launch off of roofs? That would be the only way to throw off the compass at takeoff if the roof was the source.
No I don’t launch of roofs but there are plenty of houses around and when I launch from the ground there are at least two metal roofs 15 meters away from take off. in other locations my car may be about 10 meters away which could possibly cause a compass error too. But the thing that I can’t put my finger on is why do I so often get the wireless interference warning at take off but only at that point but then it never reappears during flight or when landing.

No I don’t launch of roofs but there are plenty of houses around and when I launch from the ground there are at least two metal roofs 15 meters away from take off. in other locations my car may be about 10 meters away which could possibly cause a compass error too. But the thing that I can’t put my finger on is why do I so often get the wireless interference warning at take off but only at that point but then it never reappears during flight or when landing.
You would have to be within about a metre of a car or house roof for it to cause that issue.At 10+ metres they have no effect.
The most common cause of a yaw error is launching from a reinforced concrete surface like a driveway or footpath.
Your cell tower has no effect either.
The wireless interference message is no real cause for alarm and could be caused by a home wifi etc.

You would have to be within about a metre of a car or house roof for it to cause that issue.At 10+ metres they have no effect.
The most common cause of a yaw error is launching from a reinforced concrete surface like a driveway or footpath.
Your cell tower has no effect either.
The wireless interference message is no real cause for alarm and could be caused by a home wifi etc.
thanks do you know if the compass needle direction on the app is the compass direction of the drone or the apps north direction.

thanks do you know if the compass needle direction on the app is the compass direction of the drone or the apps north direction.
There is no compass direction needle in the app.
Perhaps you are confusing the little compass needle icon in the corner of the map window?
That allows you to toggle the map view to north up or track up.

The drone sends data to the app so that the direction the drone is facing should be represented correctly in the app.

There is no compass direction needle in the app.
Perhaps you are confusing the little compass needle icon in the corner of the map window?
That allows you to toggle the map view to north up or track up.

The drone sends data to the app so that the direction the drone is facing should be represented correctly in the app.
Yeah I was referring to the needle in the map at the bottom. I noticed you can lock it or you can leave it so which ever way you turn your iPad the needle keeps pointing north. So I was wondering if it was getting the north reading from the drones compass or from the app. In other words if your drones compass was messed up and pointing in the wrong direction would you see it by looking at the needle direction on the map.

Yeah I was referring to the needle in the map at the bottom. I noticed you can lock it or you can leave it so which ever way you turn your iPad the needle keeps pointing north. So I was wondering if it was getting the north reading from the drones compass or from the app. In other words if your drones compass was messed up and pointing in the wrong direction would you see it by looking at the needle direction on the map.
Tapping the needle icon makes the map display as north up or track up (the map is aligned to face the way you are facing..

If your drone's compass was messed up, the drone wouldn't fly straight or hover without rotating.
If you are concerned about checking to prevent a possible yaw error ...
Before launching, you need to confirm that the drone is physically pointing the same direction as the drone icon on the map is.
ie .. if you place the drone pointing south, the drone icon on the map should point south.

Tapping the needle icon makes the map display as north up or track up (the map is aligned to face the way you are facing..

If your drone's compass was messed up, the drone wouldn't fly straight or hover without rotating.
If you are concerned about checking to prevent a possible yaw error ...
Before launching, you need to confirm that the drone is physically pointing the same direction as the drone icon on the map is.
ie .. if you place the drone pointing south, the drone icon on the map should point south.
Ok so the best indicator to confirm the compass isn’t pulled off the correct direction is to check the drone arrow on the map and where it is pointing in relation to the actual drone. thanks I will make sure I do that each time

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123