DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shout out to all "Professional" Mavic users

Robert Mitchell

Reactions
I mean professional in the sense that you are certified, and/or licensed to use your Mavic commercially, wherever you are. This is not meant to judge the ability or skill of anyone, as I know there are pilots out there better than me, just not doing it for money.

Being that commercial operators have a unique set of challenges and issues I thought it might be helpful to have a place to discuss and solve some of those challenges and issues. Also might be helpful to anyone thinking of going that route, and has not yet done so.

I suspect quite a few folks, such as myself, are using the Mavic as a supplement to other equipment, but some also as their primary tool... nothing wrong with that either, as the machine has a pretty impressive set of specs.

This might be a place we could discuss issues unique to our profession with regard to improving techniques laws and operations, and just how well the Mavic is fitting in.

So, to start, I would love to hear from commercial Mavic users, their certification and where they are from.

Especially interested in hearing from commercial users in the state of NC, U.S. as that is where I am from, and we have our own set of issues here.

I'm not a professional, but interested in what challenges there are for a professional/commercial drone pilot.... Can you start with your own issues or constraints?
The challenges aren't all that great to getting certified, but once you are, the regulations become real and enforceable, therefore there is less room for error or mistake when compared to doing it for fun. In other words, making a buck seems like it activates a disproportionate level of scrutiny. Or to put it another way, to do the exact same thing for fun in the U.S. seems to have a disproportionate lack of scrutiny. Not that I want either extreme.
But, this is the only legal way at this point.

Last edited:
The challenges aren't all that great to getting certified, but once you are, the regulations become real and enforceable, therefore there is less room for error or mistake when compared to doing it for fun. In other words, making a buck seems like it activates a disproportionate level of scrutiny. Or to put it another way, to do the exact same thing for fun in the U.S. seems to have a disproportionate lack of scrutiny. Not that I want either extreme.
But, this is the only legal way at this point.
Okay, understand. This is one of those things that if you are an honest person and follow the rules, it makes life harder for you... messed up.

I'm licensed in NC. Haven't done a lot of commercial work yet, but planning on doing more in the realtor space.

Based in Mooresville, NC

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Cool. Would love to chat with ya sometime.

Hi Everyone,

Do you think that a Mavic is/would be a good drone to use for indy films and things like that? I live in Seattle and we have allot of filming going on in the general area.

I think it would be fun and a way to recoup a little bit of the cost of the drone. Also when you go to rent it out, what are fair/normal rates? (obviously I would wait til I get very good with it first, and look at the license as well)

Can anyone tell me who is going to ensure that you have a 107 certificate? I mean if someone was to just do some real estate work who's going to enforce these rules. It's not like a buzzer goes off the minute you take flight. I'm just curious.

Can anyone tell me who is going to ensure that you have a 107 certificate? I mean if someone was to just do some real estate work who's going to enforce these rules. It's not like a buzzer goes off the minute you take flight. I'm just curious.

My thought would be that its more about the company/people hiring you are responsible for making sure you are licensed, because if anything happened they could be held liable, and you would most likely be listed on their payroll somewhere etc... Im sure some wont care or do it, but the ones who are doing filming/requiring permits etc... will probably check

My thought would be that its more about the company/people hiring you are responsible for making sure you are licensed, because if anything happened they could be held liable, and you would most likely be listed on their payroll somewhere etc... Im sure some wont care or do it, but the ones who are doing filming/requiring permits etc... will probably check

I personally think there should be different rules/licenses for job specific uses. Flying 100 feet up to take photos of real estate is way different than say inspecting towers or buildings. Just my opinion

I personally think there should be different rules/licenses for job specific uses. Flying 100 feet up to take photos of real estate is way different than say inspecting towers of buildings. Just my opinion

I totally agree, I was thinking more about filming for films or shorts or w/e

I've also noticed a lot of the guys who have gone through the trouble of getting their certification are now beginning to turn the non-certified guys in. Also, the people hiring are starting to come under more and more pressure.
The main reason I got mine was, I didn't want to be that one they caught and fined.

Reactions: John A.
Hi Everyone,

Do you think that a Mavic is/would be a good drone to use for indy films and things like that? I live in Seattle and we have allot of filming going on in the general area.

I think it would be fun and a way to recoup a little bit of the cost of the drone. Also when you go to rent it out, what are fair/normal rates? (obviously I would wait til I get very good with it first, and look at the license as well)

Not sure what the industry is looking for in terms of specs or whatnot, but I am seeing a lot of folks stating that they are using it for professional purposes. Not sure about rates either but maybe someone else could provide us with that.

If you do decide, fly safe and get that 107. Good luck!

Reactions: west1200us
There are more rules and restrictions on commercial flights than hobbyist flights. For example, commercial flight uas operators have to stay below 400 feet unless they get approval/wavier or whatever. Hobbyists do not.

There are more rules and restrictions on commercial flights than hobbyist flights. For example, commercial flight uas operators have to stay below 400 feet unless they get approval/wavier or whatever. Hobbyists do not.
While that is technically true, that's only when I am operating commercially. I can still fly recreationally at any time.

Even if your flight is recreational, you must be operating within "a community based set of guidelines" or you can be slapped with "careless and reckless operation" and a fine nevertheless.

But anyway, I rarely have the need to exceed a couple hundred feet, especially for commercial purposes.

Reactions: tstillman
While that is technically true, that's only when I am operating commercially. I can still fly recreationally at any time.

Even if your flight is recreational, you must be operating within "a community based set of guidelines" or you can be slapped with "careless and reckless operation" and a fine nevertheless.

But anyway, I rarely have the need to exceed a couple hundred feet, especially for commercial purposes.
Correct. I should have clarified on the commercial vs hobby flight.

As for the must be operating within a community based set of guidelines, there really is no precedent or enforcement on that, not to mention an actual us code violation

I mean professional in the sense that you are certified, and/or licensed to use your Mavic commercially, wherever you are. This is not meant to judge the ability or skill of anyone, as I know there are pilots out there better than me, just not doing it for money.

Being that commercial operators have a unique set of challenges and issues I thought it might be helpful to have a place to discuss and solve some of those challenges and issues. Also might be helpful to anyone thinking of going that route, and has not yet done so.

I suspect quite a few folks, such as myself, are using the Mavic as a supplement to other equipment, but some also as their primary tool... nothing wrong with that either, as the machine has a pretty impressive set of specs.

This might be a place we could discuss issues unique to our profession with regard to improving techniques laws and operations, and just how well the Mavic is fitting in.

So, to start, I would love to hear from commercial Mavic users, their certification and where they are from.

Especially interested in hearing from commercial users in the state of NC, U.S. as that is where I am from, and we have our own set of issues here.
I'm in Australia and CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority - same as your FAA) just relaxed the rules on the 29th Sept 2016 so that as long as your craft weighs less than 2kg (which the Mavic certainly does) then no certification or licences are required to fly commercially. Mind you, you still have to abide by all the regulations re operation.

So nice to get this kind of shout out! I am a Canadian living in Vancouver, British Columbia. I have been flying collective pitch helis and drones for eight years now. I am currently taking the Transport Canada recognized Unmanned Aerial Systems course at BCIT, which will educate and qualify me to fly commercially with a special flight operators certificate. I currently own two FPV equipped Inspire 1's, and a Mavic Pro. I have been developing my preflight safety checklist with these birds on the ground, and have yet to put them in the air. I feel it's my responsibility as a UAS pilot to be completely familiar with all aspects of the system BEFORE taking to the sky. It seems as though 99% of the owners of theses Mavics/Inspires etc., are unfamiliar with their aircrafts. Obviously there is a lot of work to be done in educating would be first time UAS purchasers. Please let me know your thoughts:)

Hi Everyone,

As a shooting platform, it is extremely stable and more than adequate to fly solid shots. The camera is the weak point you have to understand to consistently pull good shots.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22