DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shropshire Rookie Mavic Air

SimonD

Reactions
Hi I was referred to this forum via a pilot on a vaping forum so thought I would join up and hopefully learn a few things rather than crashing and learning (crash course?).

I've flown small cheapo drones but taken the plunge and gone for the Mavic Air combo pack which arrives tomorrow.

A few newbie questions that I didn't find answered on YouTube:

I'm going to be using an iPhone 6, is this good enough?
Locations in Shropshire safe to fly without permission?
Is the Air okay to fly indoors to get to grips with (using prop guards) I understand I won't get GPS.
Prop Guards, I rarely see them used, is it a pro thing or do they effect the handling?

Thanks and looking forward to learning from you guys :)

Welcome to the forum! :)

It'll technically work if that's what you mean. If you'd like a mobile device with a larger screen, you can find a list of supported and commonly used phones and tablets here:

Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily)

Is the Air okay to fly indoors to get to grips with (using prop guards) I understand I won't get GPS
No DJI drone is really safe/fun to fly indoors -- unless you mean something like a spacious, obstacle-free warehouse. Before trying to fly indoors, it would be better to start outside in a wide open location (where there are zero obstacles) so you can learn how to the control aircraft. And, yes, prop guards would be a good idea for indoor flights.

Prop Guards, I rarely see them used, is it a pro thing or do they effect the handling?
Indoors? No. Outdoors? They could negatively affect the flight if they catch the wind.

Reactions: SimonD
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Thanks for that :)

I'm kinda stuck with the iPhone 6 as my other iPhone SE is smaller, blown my dosh on the drone so unlikely to upgrade any time soon but at least it's on the list, I have a tablet but it's huge (13").

Shame it's not suitable for indoors, it would have done the dusting perfectly lol, I will hunt down a location with plenty of space to get started.

I have another question, I have a 3D printer, are there any 'must have' accessories such as leg extensions (or skids}.

I'm a pro photographer so hopefully get the hang of the camera settings in the app easy enough but I see there are filters available for the lens, are they worth it? I usually find ND filters come at a cost of higher ISO, any colour filters can be done in post yes?
**EDIT** Just saw they do ND4 Polarised which look handy.

Sorry for all the barrage of questions but I'm sure you're all used to it by now.

I'm thirsty for knowledge ?

Last edited:
I have a 3D printer, are there any 'must have' accessories such as leg extensions (or skids}
It all depends on what you need. You can find a lot of models on Thingiverse.

I see there are filters available for the lens, are they worth it?
They might be depending on what kind of shots you need to capture. Since you're a pro photographer, I trust you already know what filters can do for you. If interested, you can find a list of commonly used Mavic Air filters here.

any colour filters can be done in post yes?
Right.

Welcome to the forum :)

Hi I was referred to this forum via a pilot on a vaping forum so thought I would join up and hopefully learn a few things rather than crashing and learning (crash course?).

I've flown small cheapo drones but taken the plunge and gone for the Mavic Air combo pack which arrives tomorrow.

A few newbie questions that I didn't find answered on YouTube:

Locations in Shropshire safe to fly without permission?
Is the Air okay to fly indoors to get to grips with (using prop guards) I understand I won't get GPS.

Thanks and looking forward to learning from you guys :)
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new Mavic Air, I love mine. Fly safe and have fun!

Pretty jealous of your locations, dull weather Britain limits decent quality video days, it's going to be torture watching the forecasts.
Though I have seen some amazing shots of Scotland

Reactions: Jake 61
Hey Si, welcome to the forum, hope you're getting some useful weather down by.
For filters, I use these on the MP;

They're not bad quality for the price, which is a good bit less than the premium brands.

Jack.

Hey Si, welcome to the forum, hope you're getting some useful weather down by.
For filters, I use these on the MP;

They're not bad quality for the price, which is a good bit less than the premium brands.

Jack.
Hiya mate, good to see a friendly face on here :)

I was looking at filters, now I don't usually skimp on optics with my photography but really skinted myself out on this combo bundle and travel case, are the cheaper Newer 6 pack at £25 all that bad? with such a small lens area I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference?

I haven't needed filters yet, the British weather is providing the perfect softbox - clouds!

Yes, same up North mate, not the best of flying weather. I spent today scouting out a new vantage point for the next steam train, so hopefully, we'll get another visit.
I need to keep a filter on the MP to stop the gimbal 'jello', it's an annoying shake you get when the wind catches it the wrong way. I would go for the Newer set, you can always upgrade when you can afford to. You never know, they might be ok.

I have some Newer filters and a sun shade so I can set the exposure better, just been waiting for a decent flying day, tomorrow's my best shot but sods law I have have something else planned.

I did a bit of handheld test footage and the newer filter look fine and got my shutter speed down nicely.

Story of my life Si, every time I get a day where I have time to fly, the weather is crap. The Highlands are not noted for their temperate climate.
Sun shining outside and I have a pile of work to do...?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580