DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Side object avoidance sensors?

paulatkin73

Reactions
Hi, i spent some time today looking at parameters trying to understand why side sensors work in tripod mode but not in the normal P mode. Is it at all possible to get em all working in P?

Last edited:
That's a good question and I thought that the last firmware update a few weeks ago updated the side sensors but I am not sure what that update was. Hopefully one of the pro pilots will chime in with some info. Seems weird that the side sensors are switched off by default in P-Mode

I also find it is odd. As i tuned my P mode for cinematic - lower gains, etc., I am thinking now, may be a better way would be to 'speed up' a tripod mode? It is just odd.

It would be nice to keep tripod mode as the super smooth / slow mode it is though, but its definitely a potential remedy for now.

Well, i want to have atti mode also, and it seems that only sport can be set with aggressive setting apart from atti and normal. So atti replaces tripod. Not sure, but i see little reason to keep tripod and tamed down P. Only single thing i want in P is side sensors...

Tripod mode , Active track, and point of interest with the newer firmware you will get the side sensors.

Tripod mode , Active track, and point of interest with the newer firmware you will get the side sensors.
Does active track use P mode gains and speed or tripod's? I am still hoping there should be some way to get all sensors work in the P mode.
Dunno, may be i miss something - but i do not see much value in the tripod mode, at all. Am i wrong? Dunno, i did not see any real difference between tripod and P.

Did not have much time today, just browsing over params again in dji assistant gave nothing new, which is quite frustrating... But, from other perspective, side sensors are not that essential.

I had the side sensors stop my aircraft during one of the Quickshot modes (to avoid hitting a tree branch). I’m not sure which one, but it was either the Circle mode or the Helix mode.

Side sensors worked for me the other day in P mode. I was trying a move and didn't pay attention to the drone. All of a sudden, while watching the phone screen it stopped and sort of jumped up. Turned to see the drone hoovering about a foot from a wall. It going sideways at the time. Will try find the video

Side sensors worked for me the other day in P mode. I was trying a move and didn't pay attention to the drone. All of a sudden, while watching the phone screen it stopped and sort of jumped up. Turned to see the drone hoovering about a foot from a wall. It going sideways at the time. Will try find the video
Odd, it did not do so for me, i tested that.

Heres the clip. Nearly sure it was the side sensor. I guess I was very lucky so, I was under the impression they didn't activate in P mode too.

They only work in tripod mode and the autonomous modes (active track, timelapse, etc.)

The reason for this is because the side sensors are not stereoscopic, so they are not able to measure depth in the same way as the other sensors - they have to compare consecutive images instead. They require slow or predictable movement to be effective.

Last edited:
Dunno, may be i miss something - but i do not see much value in the tripod mode, at all. Am i wrong? Dunno, i did not see any real difference between tripod and P.

I use tripod when I’m in very tight quarters. Slow with all sensors on.

Reactions: TR Ganey
Well, i want to have atti mode also, and it seems that only sport can be set with aggressive setting apart from atti and normal. So atti replaces tripod. Not sure, but i see little reason to keep tripod and tamed down P. Only single thing i want in P is side sensors...

That may be true for "real" drone pilots but for beginners like me tripod mode is necessary. In addition to inexperience it seems that my fine motor skills are not as steady as they once were. Tripod mode makes it easier for me to navigate in tight spaces and to also get smoother video while doing it. Hopefully for those of you who have no use for it they will upgrade the software where you can choose something else, customize it to your liking, or do away with it all together but I want to keep mine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851