DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Signal on mini 3 seems awful. I am getting worried.

Just as a matter of interest what controller did DJI use for their range tests?

Im in CE region and able to go out 2.5km before signal started to drop. This is in the same test area where i get 5km with autel evo 2 and mavic 2

Using controller with in built screen. Ill try other controller tomorrow. Last light beat me today

Just as a matter of interest what controller did DJI use for their range tests?
This:

M4umdHv.jpg

Im in CE region and able to go out 2.5km before signal started to drop. This is in the same test area where i get 5km with autel evo 2 and mavic 2

Using controller with in built screen. Ill try other controller tomorrow. Last light beat me today
I got almost 3000 mtr , where my M2 got 6000+.
The area flown is somewhere between urban and country.
Interested to see how standard remote fares against the screen model I used.
I saw a U.K You tube video over an urban estate flying in a 500mtr circle, CE signal strength was very disappointing.

Please let us know how you get on with the standard controller

Reactions: Stach
Most people have no intentions/desire of pushing it out to 18 km (I say most). But the extra signal strength means a lot as I fly a lot in the Rocky Mountains and also in extremely heavy forested areas of northern WI and MI. And it seems I always seem to have good signal and never lose connection with my OS2 an O3 drones. And I don't fly that far but I know like my mini, spark and even P3 don't do nearly as well. And the video feed is so much more reliable as well even if you are under a forest canopy f trees.

you would need a very large case to carry that around in, thats for sure, rather defeats the portability aspect of the Mini 3
but on the other hand it would be good off road

• Haha
Reactions: koonley and Bussty
Now I am glad my order is still in to be shipped mode, I routinely fly 1-2KM missions and would expect this rig to do the same.

with a drone the size of the Mini 3 ,this preoccupation with being able to fly it for many Kilometers is really ,for me a mute point
1k is 3,280 ft
2k is 6,561 ft
2.5k is 8,202ft
i can with reasonable certainty ,state that even at 500m there are not many people who would,even with 20-20 vision be able to see a Mini 3 or any Mini drone , at a couple of hundred feet up ,and know which way it was going ,by just seeing a dot in the sky
the most important thing for me ,is having a stable signal between the RC and drone at all times ,when i fly within the guidelines

1. Most of the people who have received their drone are in the CE region. FCC regions will have better range.

2. Anything beyond 1KM is past VLOS for virtually everyone so you shouldn’t be flying it that far anyways.
What else shouldn't I be doing?

That's what I come here for, being scolded by my betters.

with a drone the size of the Mini 3 ,this preoccupation with being able to fly it for many Kilometers is really ,for me a mute point
1k is 3,280 ft
2k is 6,561 ft
2.5k is 8,202ft
i can with reasonable certainty ,state that even at 500m there are not many people who would,even with 20-20 vision be able to see a Mini 3 or any Mini drone , at a couple of hundred feet up ,and know which way it was going ,by just seeing a dot in the sky
the most important thing for me ,is having a stable signal between the RC and drone at all times ,when i fly within the guidelines
Generally UK/EASA at least the intended guidelines for VLOS and a sub 250g drone are roughly 400m with max about 500m.

I doubt anyone can see it at 800 yet alone be aware of its position in 3D space and approaching hazards.

A stable signal is important (think leaves, trees etc). Thats often, but not always, the same as range.

Reactions: old man mavic
@Cymru i agree that outright range in respect of a stable signal is a guide to signal stability,along with the occusync component ,for preventing signal degradation
but if you stay within the guidelines ,then signal loss between the RC and drone is really something that would only happen in extreme circumstance ,such as flying behind a hill, tall building ,or below a high point down into a deep valley

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
1. Most of the people who have received their drone are in the CE region. FCC regions will have better range.

2. Anything beyond 1KM is past VLOS for virtually everyone so you shouldn’t be flying it that far anyways.
With the introduction of EVLOS and BVLOS endorsements for licensed pilots, a few are indeed able to fly out to max range under certain conditions. As this is probably the premier site/forums for getting information on a wide variety of drones, its quite feasible for an interest in maximum range.
The reason we are seeing little information, is that people are getting sick and tired of being berated by other members who just love to show how smart they are by explaining line of site rules and how far they can see.

I think it fair that this should be mentioned for new pilots that may not understand, but it has become a constant barrage.
Ill be conducting testing, yes legally, but im really thinking that ill not bother posting results here and will prob look for somewhere else to share information

2. As to number 2, of course you are correct about VLOS but to see a 50% regression vs previous DJI drones is concerning, especially since there is a correlation between furthest possible (if not legal) range and the resistance of the drone to interference at much closer range due to obstructions which is a practical use of range that is legal.

2. As to number 2, of course you are correct about VLOS but to see a 50% regression vs previous DJI drones is concerning, especially since there is a correlation between furthest possible (if not legal) range and the resistance of the drone to interference at much closer range due to obstructions which is a practical use of range that is legal.
Exactly, we want robust signal and range from a safety and productivity standpoint, not to go to the moon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots