DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Signal strength affected by direction Mavic is going?

wxperson

Reactions
Hi,

Today I was out a bit and the signal strength was getting kind of low. I turned the Mavic 90 degrees to the right so that the side of the Mavic was facing me... rather than the back or front and I then noticed the signals increase a bar or so.

I decided to go out further flying "sideways" to keep the side of the Mavic facing me and was able to go out quite a bit further before getting low signals again.

Does that make any sense to you folks you understand how the Mavic antenna is "put together" ?

Thanks.

Hi,

Today I was out a bit and the signal strength was getting kind of low. I turned the Mavic 90 degrees to the right so that the side of the Mavic was facing me... rather than the back or front and I then noticed the signals increase a bar or so.

I decided to go out further flying "sideways" to keep the side of the Mavic facing me and was able to go out quite a bit further before getting low signals again.

Does that make any sense to you folks you understand how the Mavic antenna is "put together" ?

Thanks.

At the risk of a joke being made; how high were you?

The antenna boards are located in the front landing gear. Since they're at a small angle, if you were low and far out (hah) then it's conceivable that turning the Mavic sideways would improve signal slightly.

i was up around 400' and several thousand feet out. i was just wondering if the antenna orientation on the Mavic might explain this. I have noticed this a few times and will do more observational analysis :)

Look for lolo780 post in Official Mavic Range Leaderboard, page 71 regarding the antenna orientation and how he changed it.

Shortcut here: Official Mavic Range Leaderboard

I imagine a similar effect could be managed by flying backwards. The tilt would align the front legs more or less vertically.
Haha my brain must be half asleep. Should've just give the link as you did :)

Yes, I've tried the flying backward before and it works. But certainly we need to be extra careful as we can't see where the Mavic is going.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser