DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Signal strength. What am I doing wrong?

k0200679

Reactions
Hi.

I´ve purchased mavic 3 flymore combo two weeks ago (RC-N1 controller). Controller is in FCC mode

So far, I made 12 test flights and most of the time I was testing maximum range of my drone.

During first weekend I was standing slightly uphill with some 2-3 story buildings within 50 meters.

During second weekend I was standing on a hill, about 30 meters higher then surroundings and at least 200 meters from any houses.

Location is a suburban area of middle size European city.

In both locations, my maximum range was around 1,5-2km, with maximum range of 2,6km when drone was above the sea. (Drone was always at maximum altitude possible of 120m)

In general, connection is rock solid within 1km and after 200-300 meters it start to drop very rapidly.

Most of the time if my drone is over 1,5km and I start to rotate the drone, my connection is instantly lost.

So my question is, If I do something wrong? Why my range is so short and how people on YouTube manage to fly at least 3 times longer without any significant signal deterioration.

It's common for signal strength to change when the drone is rotated, but it is usually only visible when the strength is less than max.

As to whether it's this specific unit or just the environment you're in, we can't say without more flights. Fly it in other places or try a different DJI drone in the same space back to back.

Also, 2km in a highly populated city is nothing to sneeze at. I consider that range normal if I was flying downtown in a city like Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, etc.

Hi.

I´ve purchased mavic 3 flymore combo two weeks ago (RC-N1 controller). Controller is in FCC mode

So far, I made 12 test flights and most of the time I was testing maximum range of my drone.

During first weekend I was standing slightly uphill with some 2-3 story buildings within 50 meters.

During second weekend I was standing on a hill, about 30 meters higher then surroundings and at least 200 meters from any houses.

Location is a suburban area of middle size European city.

In both locations, my maximum range was around 1,5-2km, with maximum range of 2,6km when drone was above the sea. (Drone was always at maximum altitude possible of 120m)

In general, connection is rock solid within 1km and after 200-300 meters it start to drop very rapidly.

Most of the time if my drone is over 1,5km and I start to rotate the drone, my connection is instantly lost.

So my question is, If I do something wrong? Why my range is so short and how people on YouTube manage to fly at least 3 times longer without any significant signal deterioration.
I assume you checked the max distance on your settings?

Max distance is limited to 5km. Anyway, how distance limit can influence signal quality?
No.... the range limit wouldn't affect signal at all. You might try selecting a custom 5.8ghz frequency instead of Auto. With clear line of sight this might sidestep local interference and give you the added range.

Okay, last flight I manage to go 4,6km without signal loss. Path was mostly unobstructed and launch position was a small hill with clear view.
One last question. If I understand correctly, signal cant bend buildings and even if mavic is 500m and there is a building between you and mavic signal will be lost ?

Okay, last flight I manage to go 4,6km without signal loss. Path was mostly unobstructed and launch position was a small hill with clear view.
One last question. If I understand correctly, signal cant bend buildings and even if mavic is 500m and there is a building between you and mavic signal will be lost ?
As long as there there is a clear Line Of Sight between you and the drone, the signal should not be lost, regardless of any buildings below or adjacent to the drone. As long as the control signal is physically unobstructed, you won't lose signal unless there is massive electromagnetic interference.

Buildings and trees between you and the drone at close range will block your signal very effectively. If they are somewhat far away they have less of an effect unless there are enough of them to completely lose VLOS. As you go even further though, buildings and trees become part of the the horizon and only raising the height of your position or the drone will help even if the aircraft is still visible above the canopy because a good deal of your signal is being absorbed at ground level and not reaching the aircraft.

Buildings and trees between you and the drone at close range will block your signal very effectively. If they are somewhat far away they have less of an effect unless there are enough of them to completely lose VLOS. As you go even further though, buildings and trees become part of the the horizon and only raising the height of your position or the drone will help even if the aircraft is still visible above the canopy because a good deal of your signal is being absorbed at ground level and not reaching the aircraft.
As long as there is clear LOS, the signal is maintained. The ground doesn't absorb the signal. Especially If you can see it (VLOS), signal will not be lost, no matter how close to the ground you or the aircraft are. The only potential problem is interference with the signal from other electromagnetic signals emanating from devices on the ground. If none are present, there will be no loss of signal out to the full control range, as long as you can maintain LOS.

When light travels from one point to another, it travels across what is perceived to be an unobstructed straight line, known as the visual line of sight (LOS).

When it comes to RF communications, visual LOS has no bearing on whether the RF transmission is successful.

For RF communications to work properly, an additional area around the visual LOS needs to remain clear of obstacles and obstructions. This area around the visual LOS is known as the Fresnel zone.

The Fresnel zone is an imaginary, elongated, American football-shaped area that surrounds the path of the visual LOS between two point-to-point antennas.

The Fresnel zone exists below, to the sides, and above the visual LOS.

fresnel-zone.png
As long as there is clear LOS, the signal is maintained. The ground doesn't absorb the signal. Especially If you can see it (VLOS), signal will not be lost, no matter how close to the ground you or the aircraft are. The only potential problem is interference with the signal from other electromagnetic signals emanating from devices on the ground. If none are present, there will be no loss of signal out to the full control range, as long as you can maintain LOS.

When light travels from one point to another, it travels across what is perceived to be an unobstructed straight line, known as the visual line of sight (LOS).

When it comes to RF communications, visual LOS has no bearing on whether the RF transmission is successful.

For RF communications to work properly, an additional area around the visual LOS needs to remain clear of obstacles and obstructions. This area around the visual LOS is known as the Fresnel zone.

The Fresnel zone is an imaginary, elongated, American football-shaped area that surrounds the path of the visual LOS between two point-to-point antennas.

The Fresnel zone exists below, to the sides, and above the visual LOS.

View attachment 145563
I only fly from elevated locations, so the Fresnel Zone has no impact. Back in the day, I have easily flown at 30 feet AGL over 3 miles away. In order to maintain VLOS, and continue to fly away over nearby trees and buildings, you will have to ascend so that your Fresnel Zone never reaches the ground. As a practical matter, if you can see it, or maintain LOS, even the curvature of the earth will require elevating the aircraft. Your diagram does not reflect drone flying, where the drone is flying well above the ground. It is never a horizontal signal over the ground, as depicted, unless you are flying in a wide open level field over a very short distance, where signal strength is never an issue anyway.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000