DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Simulation of DJI Phantom 2 hitting an aircraft wing at 238MPH

Status
Not open for further replies.

zparker

Reactions
This just recently came out of University of Dayton. Shows damage from a simulated drone strike by a DJI Phantom 2 at 238MPH. Seems they are trying to illustrate the dangers of recreational drones on manned aircraft. In this case a smaller fixed wing aircraft. When FOD hits an airfoil at a pretty good click I don't think it would really surprise anyone what the rate of damage could possibly be. But, the video is still pretty interesting to see.

Recently was 18 months ago in this case, and those results were discussed at length on these forums. For example:

Recently was 18 months ago in this case, and those results were discussed at length on these forums. For example:

oh yeah! October 17, 2018. thanks for the link! Someone sent me the link and I forgot to check out the date.

Reactions: AMann
This "gun" does not shoot frozen chickens for these tests, they are thawed. This is a true representation of a bird strike on different parts of the aircraft, or engines.
The USAF loaned one of these machines to the UK for tests on one of their aircraft.
The birds kept blowing right through the canopy, and damaging the airframe. The English Engineers sent an email to the USAF asking why this was happening and they received a three word answer,
"thaw the chickens". :)

If a piece of Styrofoam brought down a shuttle not too hard to believe a drone will bring down a plane.

*** Thread Closed***

See post #2 for the link to the ongoing thread (It's a good one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut