DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Simulator Recommendations for Brand New Drone Owner

KLJ5

Reactions
Hi everyone. I just bought a used Mavic 2 Pro with DJI Smart Controller. I have quite a bit of radio controlled model airplane time, but zero drone time. I've purchased and reviewed an online flying course and with a view to safety, would now like to acquire some flying skills before operating my 'new to me' drone. A simulator appears to me to be a good choice for achieving that. Here's my conundrum: there are apparently several DJI flight sims that are available. On their site, they solicit us to fill in a form and submit it to them for acquiring their input. There seems to be a large disparity in the cost of their offerings as well as capability of their sims. Could anyone familiar with their products please advise me as to how you might recommend a 'newbie' to consider to proceed. Thanx in advance. .. Ken

The DJI Flight Simulator is free. You can install it on the Smart Controller like this:

I don't think the simulator will ever replace practicing in a wide open location. If there are no nearby obstacles, it'll be pretty tough to accidentally crash your Mavic.

Hello Ken, and welcome to the forum.

With your past experience, you really don't need the DJI (or other such) SIM, you will have no trouble with the M2P (good pick up, by the way).
Of course if you feel more comfortable just doing it for the heck of it, them why not.

Just watch mode 2 on the sticks if you are not used to it, though I think that mode is used mostly for aircraft and drones now anyway.

I still remember my first flight of my M1P, thought it was amazing tech, and it still is.
Small steps, and you will have no problems.

Best thing is visit YouTube, search > Mavic 2 pro first flight < watch some of those, also searches such as > Mavic 2 Pro settings < and words for the last term such as tips, tricks, return to home, etc will bring up some excellent info for you.

Go to a big, open, grassed, flat area, no trees, a sports oval is great (with no game on :);) ).

Enjoy both the M2P and the forum, you will learn lots here and be able to ask questions, share experiences and some of your captures.

With your past experience, you really don't need the DJI (or other such) SIM, you will have no trouble with the M2P (good pick up, by the way).
Of course if you feel more comfortable just doing it for the heck of it, them why not.

Just watch mode 2 on the sticks if you are not used to it, though I think that mode is used mostly for aircraft and drones now anyway.

I still remember my first flight of my M1P, thought it was amazing tech, and it still is.

Best thing is visit YouTube, search > Mavic 2 pro first flight < watch some of those, also searches such as > Mavic 2 Pro settings < and words for the last term such as tips, tricks, return to home, etc will bring up some excellent info for you.

Go to a big, open, grassed, flat area, no trees, a sports oval is great (with no game on :);) ).

Enjoy both the M2P and the forum, you will learn lots here and be able to ask questions, share experiences and some of your captures.
Thanx so much for your great feedback. Much appreciated!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

That's super helpful. Thanx kindly for your response.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
The DJI Flight Simulator is free. You can install it on the Smart Controller like this:

I don't think the simulator will ever replace practicing in a wide open location. If there are no nearby obstacles, it'll be pretty tough to accidentally crash your Mavic.
Thank you for this. For some reason, when I went to download the trial version, my Malwarebytes program warned me that it was a 'dangerous program' and advised against using it. The program is sometimes overly protective. Any thoughts on why this may have happened?

The program is sometimes overly protective. Any thoughts on why this may have happened?
All virus scanners sometimes display false positives. I guess they like to err on the side of caution.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S