DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ski lift interference

TheBeardBringer

Reactions
Hello all,

New Mavic Pro owner here, previously been flying a borrowed Phantom 4, but wanted my own drone that was small enough to bring with me on jobs.

However, some of the photo/video jobs I do include the local ski slope, and flying around there.

I haven’t dared to fly my Mavic Pro there yet, due to a mishap with the P4 a few weeks ago.

I was flying and chasing a snowmobile driving up the mountain and suddenly I lost control and the p4 flew into the woods, miraculously it survived and was able to hover out by itself with 3 and a half propeller, but I was pretty dumbfounded by it.

Unfortunately I don’t have the flight logs, due to returning the drone to its owner. But asking around among friends they said it might have been magnetic interference from the ski lift.

Anyone of you experienced anything like this? Could the ski lift interfere with the drone? I’m not flying high or far away, by it was early in the morning and semi dark outside. No wind to speak of.

The reason I’m asking is because I’m about to go back with my Mavic and I don’t want to loose control again.

I will try to get a hold of the flight logs from the one I borrowed the drone from, but I don’t know if he still has them.

Here’s a unlisted video on Youtube with the “crash” and pretty neat evasive maneuver by the P4.

No clue on your issue, but I just have to comment on the video itself. The lighting and color almost makes it look animated. It has that Polar Express feel to it. Really neat. You probably couldn't reproduce it again if you tried to.

Reactions: TheBeardBringer
Thank you, and that footage is not color corrected at all, straight out of the drone. Early morning, the lights from the slopes etc made it almost dreamy, unfortunately I had it set to NTSC instead of PAL, hence the light flickering :)

I fly at my local ski resort frequently and have never experienced interference.

Reactions: TheBeardBringer
I fly at my local ski resort frequently and have never experienced interference.

Good to know, I will borrow the P4 I was flying, and hopefully the flightlogs are still in it.

There is a huge cellphone mast at the top of the mountain, about 160 feet tall, I wonder if that one could've caused it.

Good to know, I will borrow the P4 I was flying, and hopefully the flightlogs are still in it.

There is a huge cellphone mast at the top of the mountain, about 160 feet tall, I wonder if that one could've caused it.
Don't know, as I've read lots of folks who swear they have had no interference from those either, even when flying relatively close by.

Will say, I've flown in a field with a massive cell tower within a couple hundred feet with no problems but I do give them a respectful distance just to be prudent.

Also, when flying around ski lift equipment, or any metal structure for that matter, I never let it get between me and the aircraft, but since that's not what you were doing here, it is a moot point.

I can't comment on the ski lift question, but I would like to say that the lighting in the video is cool. Especially in 4k

You probably already know this, but for the purpose of diagnosing this kind of behavior the DAT files are going to be the most useful - much more so than the txt logs from the mobile device.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots