DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skinning Batteries

Lets Fly

Reactions
I did not get any replies on this in another thread about bulging batteries.
I have them skinned with Decal Girl skin which is a fairly heavy plastic.Its real nice on the AC, but I am wondering if this contributes to faster heating of the batteries.
It certainly insulates them and may be affecting the life span contributing to faster bulging. Perhaps we should not wrap batteries, at least those of us living in hot climates. In Florida I am rarely flying
in cold air. I'm taking it off the one battery I have left. and as for me , the new batteries I'm getting will not be skinned. I may try a temperature test on skinned and non skinned
immediately after the same timed flight. Any thoughts on this?

Reactions: old man mavic
I have them skinned with Decal Girl skin which is a fairly heavy plastic.Its real nice on the AC, but I am wondering if this contributes to faster heating of the batteries.
It certainly insulates them and may be affecting the life span contributing to faster bulging. Perhaps we should not wrap batteries, at least those of us living in hot climates. In Florida I am rarely flying
in cold air. I'm taking it off the one battery I have left. and as for me , the new batteries I'm getting will not be skinned. I may try a temperature test on skinned and non skinned
it is not something i have ever experienced here in the UK ,i cant see it making much difference really ,but if you feel it is an issue then its your choice to remove the skin

• Wow
Reactions: Ex Coelis
I had the same question but I think it will be ok, I work in the battery Field and we wrap lithium battery packs with lots of plastic on some units when we build them

Reactions: hiflyer201
I live here in florida as well and all my Mavic batteries are skinned except the Mini of course.
Never have had issues with overheating or flight time issues. My Mavic Pro batteries are over 3 years old with wraps on all of them from the start.

We use a Neoprene Wrap on all the Batteries for the Mavics and its an increase of 4 degrees , however many of the clients have stated in post that the battery keeps a longer charge.
its possible that having a more balance temp increases the life of the battery.

With that said you can rule out the decals doing any integral damage do to heat.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic in the Rain.
Coal

I would be curious to see the production dates of those batteries that are bulging of yours. I'm going through the same nightmare where I was four of my six batteries are now bulging only for the M2p all my other drones I've never had a problem with batteries. You can go to the battery info in the go 4 app and you can see the production dates and my guess is it's going to be from 2018. 7 and 2018. 9.

If you were covering vents maybe but the answer is no. The thermal transport of the skin is way lower than the plastic shell.

From my limited experience, my batteries are seldom very warm after flights. But if I doddle before takeoff or after landing and leave the drone turned on but without props running, they'll get very warm. That can't be good for the battery integrity.

Pointless, uninformative & unhelpful conjecture.
thanks for your uninformative comments, to my uninformative comments, glad you found the time to respond

I would be curious to see the production dates of those batteries that are bulging of yours. I'm going through the same nightmare where I was four of my six batteries are now bulging only for the M2p all my other drones I've never had a problem with batteries. You can go to the battery info in the go 4 app and you can see the production dates and my guess is it's going to be from 2018. 7 and 2018. 9.
I will check that out.

If you were covering vents maybe but the answer is no. The thermal transport of the skin is way lower than the plastic shell.
Thats true, but adding more plastic can do nothing but insulate. Wether it decreases the life expectancy of the battery is what I'm trying to determine.

Reactions: MIGUELVM360
My batteries are skinned with a decal from Decalgirl and I’ve had no issues at all. I don’t find they add much if any weight to the drone or the batteries.

Thats true, but adding more plastic can do nothing but insulate. Wether it decreases the life expectancy of the battery is what I'm trying to determine.

From everything we have seen over the last year we have concluded and others that the effects of covering the battery with a sticker or Closed Cell Neoprene have no noticeable effect.

If you really want to find out what makes batteries swell really quickly is just pour some water over the power button , as the batteries our prone to being completely compromised by moisture .

This is the single biggest threat to the batteries.

The other aspect that has been noted is from batteries going from hot to cold very quickly as this has been reported many times on the forum.

Keep in mind we have flown the Mavics in full load on some extremely hot days with no problems as others have stated.

Even when covering the Vents the added heat is Minimal.

Weight is not an issue either .

One of the Tests that Rescue 15 did with a fully loaded Drone with Wet Suit and Spot light and carrying a 1 Pound Life Vest shows that even after a 1500 ft launch carrying a rescue jacket the heat was minimal and not of concern at all in 90 degree weather.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in and out of the storm.
Protect your batteries , they need it.
Coal

image1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: MIGUELVM360
Interesting, my batteries have never been in a moisture situation. I fly on sunny nice days, and they cool down on the way home before charging.
Now I don't know how much temperature difference would be required to cause a problem, but I'm sure flying outside my house in say 90 degrees, and then
coming inside to 75 degrees should not be the problem. Of course I may just have a faulty battery, my second battery is 6 months younger. Time will tell.
Thanks for all the responses.

From everything we have seen over the last year we have concluded and others that the effects of covering the battery with a sticker or Closed Cell Neoprene have no noticeable effect.

If you really want to find out what makes batteries swell really quickly is just pour some water over the power button , as the batteries our prone to being completely compromised by moisture .

This is the single biggest threat to the batteries.

The other aspect that has been noted is from batteries going from hot to cold very quickly as this has been reported many times on the forum.

Keep in mind we have flown the Mavics in full load on some extremely hot days with no problems as others have stated.

Even when covering the Vents the added heat is Minimal.

Weight is not an issue either .

One of the Tests that Rescue 15 did with a fully loaded Drone with Wet Suit and Spot light and carrying a 1 Pound Life Vest shows that even after a 1500 ft launch carrying a rescue jacket the heat was minimal and not of concern at all in 90 degree weather.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in and out of the storm.
Protect your batteries , they need it.
Coal

View attachment 101371
ok now that's a set up. :)))

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I’m sure that any reputable retailer would know if battery swelling were an issue and would sell the skins with very tiny air holes.

Hmmmm interesting ..I have three covered Mavic Air Batteries that are swollen after a 100 or so charges..and I have four covered Spark batteries that are perfect looking after 100 plus charges. I've abused the Spark batteries by leaving them in the car on 100 plus days and i've babied the Air batteries. I'm removing my Air 2 batteries immediately after flight and putting them on a cool surface ...those Darn things are costly

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User