DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skins, decals, wraps.

The Real DrSudz

Reactions
Looking to figure out a way to improve visibility. I've got old eyes, not nearly as sharp a vision as I had at 30. I've been looking at decals and skins and trying to figure out, without a trial and error method what would be the most visible, neon green neon orange, red? Anyone having anybody these? Your opinions are welcome.

Reactions: DirkPitt
Hi .
I recently went down your road , I have put an orange skin on parts of my drone ,which does help a little an it also protects your drone from some wear etc .
The thing I found the best aid by far is a drone strobe light .
It is extremely bright even in daylight and there are a few different makes and styles available , I bought one from Lume-cube on Amazon for around $40 cdn .
Mine came with regular clear light and a green and red lenses that fit over the light to change the colour but they do reduce the amount of light from the strobe .
Like I say there are a few different manufacturers out there but take a look at Lume cube.com , or Amazon I’m sorry I cannot remember the other company names , fire something is a popular choice too.
I hope this helps you out .
Fly safe

Reactions: The Real DrSudz
Firehouse Technoligy is a place for strobes. They are bright as heck and offered in different colors. They also have them on Amazon of course though 3rd party peeps.

Not a sponsor, just a user.

And oh, you can use these 3D printed mounts for the firehouse strobes. Mounting them on the struts makes my MA2 way more visible.

Mount Site.

Have Fun. Fly Safely.

Attachments

• B976CA29-8371-4667-95EC-64AE4C219464.jpeg
    B976CA29-8371-4667-95EC-64AE4C219464.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 5F2A53D1-9EAF-4C91-BBF0-7E52EEC1A352.jpeg
    5F2A53D1-9EAF-4C91-BBF0-7E52EEC1A352.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 56
I've tried strobes in the daytime and they help some. Bright neon wraps work better for me, and the ones from wrapgrade.jp are my favorite, and I'm using the strobes less. They've got completely un-natural neon colors that stand out from the sky and trees, make it easy to keep an eye on the drone.

Wrapgrade's just put up a pre-order for Mavic Air 2 skins. I've got them on Mavic 2s, a Platinum, and Minis and think they're the best. They're cut with a little overlap on the seams and they provide a map for wrapping that shows a good sequence for applying the parts and which edges line up. They have more pieces than some other wraps, but it's easy to do a good job sticking them on.

Reactions: pelagic_one
T
I've tried strobes in the daytime and they help some. Bright neon wraps work better for me, and the ones from wrapgrade.jp are my favorite, and I'm using the strobes less. They've got completely un-natural neon colors that stand out from the sky and trees, make it easy to keep an eye on the drone.

Wrapgrade's just put up a pre-order for Mavic Air 2 skins. I've got them on Mavic 2s, a Platinum, and Minis and think they're the best. They're cut with a little overlap on the seams and they provide a map for wrapping that shows a good sequence for applying the parts and which edges line up. They have more pieces than some other wraps, but it's easy to do a good job sticking them on.
Thanks for the advice G. I was leaning to wraps vs strobes. Thought strobes may interfere with photography.

Decal girl has Air 2 wraps already. Got. Some for my Mini and they were great!

I agree!

After reading about DecalGirl here on the forum I ordered a 'Dystopia' wrap for my MA2. This was my first time ordering/installing a wrap, I am really pleased with it:
  • quality of the material looks really good
  • came with great instructions, install wasn't bad
  • pieces cut out well, good fit on drone
  • shipped out quickly
P1000598.jpg

(I am not affiliated with DecalGirl in any way, just a happy customer)

Firehouse Technoligy is a place for strobes. They are bright as heck and offered in different colors. They also have them on Amazon of course though 3rd party peeps.

Not a sponsor, just a user.

And oh, you can use these 3D printed mounts for the firehouse strobes. Mounting them on the struts makes my MA2 way more visible.

Mount Site.

Have Fun. Fly Safely.
And member Mike Singer makes the brackets to hold them on the arms of your drone,they work great.
Bob

Reactions: PAW and pelagic_one
Also a satisfied customer of Decal Girl skins... just finished putting neon orange on my MA2. ?

I have a neon orange wrap on my Mavic mini it’s helped me keep an eye on it at altitude and distance

Attachments

• F5CD48D6-005F-4FF2-8882-7B9389CA4790.jpeg
    F5CD48D6-005F-4FF2-8882-7B9389CA4790.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 47
I know it's been asked but I also have limited vision after three craniotomies. I have not had the confidence to let my drone go too far I I'm anxious once it is out of sight which isn't far.

I would be grateful for suggestions on the most useful colour for the drone wraps.

I bought a set of skins for my Mini 2 from Decal girl but they are a lot darker than I anticipated.

DJI drones are pretty much hard to see as they match the sky quite well. You really want contrast. Once you get above a couple of hundred feet, good luck on keeping them in your line of sight without sincere effort. I occasionally run with a strobe light, which are required to fly at night.The good ones run about $30. I have Firehouse Technology lights.

I know it's been asked but I also have limited vision after three craniotomies. I have not had the confidence to let my drone go too far I I'm anxious once it is out of sight which isn't far.

I would be grateful for suggestions on the most useful colour for the drone wraps.

I bought a set of skins for my Mini 2 from Decal girl but they are a lot darker than I anticipated.
Get what you like. After 200’ or so they all look gray against the sky. BTW, my drones are all wrapped in a color called celeblue as it contrasts with the grass and soils where I fly most times.
Get the color you want. I recommend Wrapgrade as they are thicker than all others.
All drone skin purveyors will do custom work
I agree with above my Firehouse ARC XLs are what I use to see the drones. Visibility is certified to 3.5 miles..., but I actually get a mile to mile and a half in the golden hours with my old eyes.

I think the Neon Orange, Yellow, and Green from WRAPGRADE are the most visible. I've also got eye issues after multiple surgeries, new vitreous and lenses, got me back to 20/5 acuity with my prescription glasses, but I need very, very dark glasses in any kind of light, and I'm blind to blue, looks grey...

I'm able to pick out these completely un-natural, brilliant shades of orange, yellow, and green the best.

Decal Girl's neons are good, too, but they're not quite as brilliant as WrapGrade.

Decal Girl's wraps are easy to make a good-looking job by leaving a bit of drone showing around the seams, and some repairs can be made without removing the wrap.

WrapGrade's wraps take some practice and lots of care to wrap a drone, but if you do it right and follow their map most seams overlap and it's as close to painted on as they can be.

Reactions: Lecheeb
Thank you for the comments I'm grateful as I wouldn't want to get a skin that doesn't help.

I also used Decalgirls due to their online designer, so I can use graphics I picked from Google.PhotoGrid_1619833934967.jpg

Reactions: Lecheeb
I agree!

After reading about DecalGirl here on the forum I ordered a 'Dystopia' wrap for my MA2. This was my first time ordering/installing a wrap, I am really pleased with it:
  • quality of the material looks really good
  • came with great instructions, install wasn't bad
  • pieces cut out well, good fit on drone
  • shipped out quickly
View attachment 104018

(I am not affiliated with DecalGirl in any way, just a happy customer)
I have the same decal, took forever to put it on!

Reactions: Zeprider
Dystopia here as well. I call her, "Droid"

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada