DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skins on drone

Steveda30

Reactions
Hi, does anyone's drone get a bit warmer with a skin on it or a wet suit? Just curious before I look at buying one. Also, does a skin make it easier to view your drone in the sky?

Thank you,

Steve

Reactions: 4006448
The Neoprene Wet Suit actually keep the Drone cooler to the touch in the extreme heat , even after a strong run the bottom of the Air 2 reaches 120 degrees so having that bottom Wet Suit surge mask is nice as you can feel that heat on the bottom of the drone and the Bottom of the Wet Suits helps with that.

Neither the skins or the Wet Suit increase the heat by a any significant amount. They both offer a nice visual in the sky but the Neoprene is seen better because it does not reflect the sun . so you see the orientation of the drone more.

The Air Tight Battery Covers do increase the heat by 4 degrees but its minimal and can be helpful flying in the Winter months.

Both make a nice visual in the sky , but the Wet Suit offers quite a few more benefits when it comes to protecting your drone , by Protecting the Battery and the Power Button from Rain / Sand / Salt / Stones which can cause the battery to swell.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
Email me at [email protected]
as we offer the members A premium package and Discount.

IMG_20210802_174943754-1.jpg

@Steveda30 a skin is good for telling your drone from others if several of you are flying together ,it protects the surface of the drone and makes it easier to remove bug splatter, it does not make any difference to how hot the drone gets ,and it means that you can personalise your drone ,and then remove it if you resell ,or just fancy a different design at a later date,to be honest with you after you are a few hundred feet away against a blue sky ,the colour of the skin will not really matter ,but a bright coloured skin does help with outlining the drones position if your are flying with a darker background behind the drone ,such as below the horizon from a higher vantage point ,and it also helps to see it if you land in bushes ,or long grass some distance from the home point ,and indeed if you should be unfortunate enough to end up in a tree

The Neoprene Wet Suit actually keep the Drone cooler to the touch in the extreme heat , even after a strong run the bottom of the Air 2 reaches 120 degrees so having that bottom Wet Suit surge mask is nice as you can feel that heat on the bottom of the drone and the Bottom of the Wet Suits helps with that.

Neither the skins or the Wet Suit increase the heat by a any significant amount. They both offer a nice visual in the sky but the Neoprene is seen better because it does not reflect the sun . so you see the orientation of the drone more.

The Air Tight Battery Covers do increase the heat by 4 degrees but its minimal and can be helpful flying in the Winter months.

Both make a nice visual in the sky , but the Wet Suit offers quite a few more benefits when it comes to protecting your drone , by Protecting the Battery and the Power Button from Rain / Sand / Salt / Stones which can cause the battery to swell.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

View attachment 133467
That looks really cool. Thank you.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
@Steveda30 a skin is good for telling your drone from others if several of you are flying together ,it protects the surface of the drone and makes it easier to remove bug splatter, it does not make any difference to how hot the drone gets ,and it means that you can personalise your drone ,and then remove it if you resell ,or just fancy a different design at a later date,to be honest with you after you are a few hundred feet away against a blue sky ,the colour of the skin will not really matter ,but a bright coloured skin does help with outlining the drones position if your are flying with a darker background behind the drone ,such as below the horizon from a higher vantage point ,and it also helps to see it if you land in bushes ,or long grass some distance from the home point ,and indeed if you should be unfortunate enough to end up in a tree
I do fly with a few others and was looking to just change it up a bit. Thank you for the response.

Reactions: old man mavic
Have to disagree with making a drone easier to see. They all turn black in the distance but Skins and Wetsuits are pretty cool and every drone should have one of both.

Reactions: MA2 317 and Hidden

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

View attachment 133467
That looks great! Have just checked your site and will be placing an order soon. Love the skin as well - where's that one from @Phantomrain.org ?

I agree. But if you lose one and it's bright orange (for example) it's much easier locate on the ground or up a tree
Yeah...thats very true. That's why I understand the interest in the camo skins..

Reactions: pommy
I got a red skin from decalgirl.com. You can customize it so I have my FAA # and email address on the top of the aircraft. The first lets me look official to curious observers and the second could come in handy if it gets lost and someone finds it. I also purchased a Firehouse red/white strobe which comes with a mount for under the M2. That does more to keep the drone visible than the skin.

So outside from the Neoprene Wetsuit, whats a good color to choose that I'll be able to see when I'm out there flying?

My eyesight isn't that good and I want to be able to locate it better in the sky.

My thought, and I'm admittedly new to the game, is the strobe makes it easier to see. The skin makes it easier to find if it gets lost in the grass, shrubs, or trees. My old eyes can follow the strobe for quite a distance.

Reactions: Yvan and MA2 317
I definitely am down with the the Strobe. I'm was just wondering what's a better color choice, if there is one. That's all. Thanks.

Reactions: MA2 317
I definitely am down with the the Strobe. I'm was just wondering what's a better color choice, if there is one. That's all. Thanks.

White is the brightest.
Followed by red, green, and then blue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom