DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sky Wash Out

2nckayakers

Reactions
I saw this posted back a couple of months ago but no one ever answered the post so I thought I would try it and see if anyone would respond.

I have tried every different camera setting "set up" that I have seen on here and it doesn't change the fact that my sky always seems over exposed or washed out. Last evening I went out during the golden hour to do some filming in a fresh cut hay field. The sky was great! Blue with nice puffy white clouds but when I got back home and started watching the stuff the sky was washed out. I have tried all kinds of grading and short of a full sky replacement I can't get anything that look blue. Any suggestions?

Reactions: avanti1963
I saw this posted back a couple of months ago but no one ever answered the post so I thought I would try it and see if anyone would respond.

I have tried every different camera setting "set up" that I have seen on here and it doesn't change the fact that my sky always seems over exposed or washed out. Last evening I went out during the golden hour to do some filming in a fresh cut hay field. The sky was great! Blue with nice puffy white clouds but when I got back home and started watching the stuff the sky was washed out. I have tried all kinds of grading and short of a full sky replacement I can't get anything that look blue. Any suggestions?
The only recomendation I have is to get some ND filters, I have some polorpro's and I can adjust to get the sky any color (almost) that I want.

Reactions: avanti1963

DJI Mavic Filters - Cinema Series - Shutter Collection

I have them and they work wonders. I picked them up and Bestbuy.

3-Stop Neutral Density Filter (ND8) (1.05g): The ND8 filter is what we use on partly cloudy to mildly sunny days where we need to knock the shutter down by 3 f-stops to achieve a shutter speed of 1/60th.

4-Stop Neutral Density Filter (ND16) (1.05g): The ND16 filter is what we use on very bright days to reduce shutter speed by 4 f-stops. We generally use the ND16 filter while filming in the desert or over snow.

5-Stop Neutral Density Filter (ND32) (1.05g): On extremely bright days, the ND32 reduces the camera's shutter speed by 5 f-stops. getting shutter speed near 1/60th - 1/50th, allowing you to capture cinematic quality content even in the brightest conditions.

Maybe not even an ND filter, cause that might yield in underexposed dark areas, but look into polarizing filters and/or UV filters. Especially the first are very good at removing glare from the skies, essentially yielding a more colorful sky.

If you're pointing at the sun, your sky is going to be over-exposed. You can stop it down by using filters and whatnot, but you'll have to edit any dark areas after leaving the sun because they will be very very dark. Using a polarizer will yield wonderfully blue skies when shooting away from the sun, but remember you need to turn the polarizer to the optimum angle before takeoff. If you're wondering why you have to turn the polarizer, put on a pair of polarized sunglasses, look at the sky, and tilt your head sideways

Reactions: Bunny Too

If the issue is so heavy it probably is something more than the need for a filter. It reminds me of what happened to me on the 1st of May: there was a beutiful sunset but I took horrible videos with a washed out sky. A Camera reset did the trick

Code:
https://youtu.be/Zy34ILScxns

Shoot with the sun behind you.
Skyreat filters are both ND and polarising.
If in doubt underexposed the shot, you can get the detail back in underexposed photo, much more difficult in an overexposed one.

Also try bracketing assuming you're trying to take photos and not video, then edit in photoshop, blend the three (or 5) photos it takes in photoshop to get the best highlights mid tones and shadows.

If your sky is getting washed out, use a cirlcular polarising filter (CPL). Make sure you check the filter before installing as there is an up and a down.
Also check your EV settings. I try to get mine to down to -0.3 or -0.7.

I don't see how filters would help much, it's over-exposing the sky because exposure is set for darker land - so adjust manually more towards the sky.
On auto exposure pan the camera slowly up and down, you should see a sweet spot where sky and land are best you can get..
Using D-Log setting produces a flatter image with better dynamic range - that is you can usually pull out more detail in dark or bright areas when editing - however some editing of contrast and saturation is almost essential using this mode.

Pointing towards sunlight is challenging for any camera.

Reactions: Shawn3D
I don't see how filters would help much, it's over-exposing the sky because exposure is set for darker land - so adjust manually more towards the sky.
On auto exposure pan the camera slowly up and down, you should see a sweet spot where sky and land are best you can get..
Using D-Log setting produces a flatter image with better dynamic range - that is you can usually pull out more detail in dark or bright areas when editing - however some editing of contrast and saturation is almost essential using this mode.

Pointing towards sunlight is challenging for any camera.

Yes filters won't do anything unless your shutter is maxing out and can't pull your exposure down. In saying that the Mavic is designed to be able to handle bright light. What you got to do is expose for the sky. Look at your histogram and make sure the right side of the peak isn't "clipping". Meaning that you are going into pure white. If that is happening then drop your exposure. Also you will have to film with manual camera settings to control what you expose for. Once that's done then you can grade nicely with some high quality LUTs. Any other questions?

Reactions: Kilrah

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute