DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skydio Charging $1499 per year for “Advanced Enterprise Features” is unacceptable, I will not participate in paywalled type features.

ExtremeElementz

Reactions
Skydio Advanced Enterprise Features

• 360 Super Zoom
• Point of Interest Orbit
• Track in place
• Close Proximity Obstacle Avoidance
• Vertical View
• Visual Return to home

I was shocked to find out that some features are only available to enterprise users, which means you need an enterprise account. Then after getting an enterprise account to unlock these features you have to pay $1499 per drone per year!

This is very bad for the industry, I could only imagine the uproar if DJI did this and started locking out certain features behind price walls… “sorry before you use dronie you must first unlock this feature for $24.99”

I cannot support this type of business model, I understand software has a price but that’s just to unlock flight features. Their Mapping software is another $2999 per year per drone.

I wanted to support an American company that’s on the Blue UAS List but I am finding out I cannot afford to be their enterprise customer. Oh and their Enterprise controller is $4500!

Rant over.

I could only imagine the uproar if DJI did this and started locking out certain features behind price walls… “sorry before you use dronie you must first unlock this feature for $24.99”
It sounds like you might not be their target customer. These don't look like features available in DJI consumer drones.

It sounds like you might not be their target customer. These don't look like features available in DJI consumer drones.
To your point I wanted to be… Starting to find out I can’t afford to be their enterprise customer.

Advanced Enterprise Controls: $1499 per year
Skydio Mapping: $2999 per year
Skydio Cloud: Not sure
Enterprise Controller: $4500

Skydio Enterprise S2+: $1099
Skydio X2 (includes Enterprise Controller): $10999

I understand software has a cost, if I was an X2 customer then sure the pricing makes sense. I wanted to try out the S2+ Enterprise and see if I even wanted to be with them long term but I won’t try them at $4500/year not knowing if I’ll even like or understand the product to see if it fits in my workflow sadly.

I wanted to try out the S2+ Enterprise and see if I even wanted to be with them long term but I won’t try them at $4500/year not knowing if I’ll even like or understand the product to see if it fits in my workflow sadly.
Maybe they have some kind of free trial? However, I guess it wouldn't be worth asking if you're already certain $4500/year wouldn't be a cost you'd be willing to pay.

Reactions: ExtremeElementz
Maybe they have some kind of free trial? However, I guess it wouldn't be worth asking if you're already certain $4500/year wouldn't be a cost you'd be willing to pay.
Yeah I don’t know how much of a trial I would need to become proficient at their programs.

Not to mention if I am starting a business and trying to decide which company to go with potentially long term that means that I have zero customers which makes it even harder in my opinion and without those customers to offset the cost it’s just not something I can do yet.

Reactions: SoCal2S
I've started many businesses. If that's new to you, I can tell you it almost never makes sense to buy tools you aren't sure you'll need until you need them. It's just an unnecessary barrier to getting started -- and could result in money wasted on things you don't actually need.

I've started many businesses. If that's new to you, I can tell you it almost never makes sense to buy tools you aren't sure you'll need until you need them. It's just an unnecessary barrier to getting started -- and could result in money wasted on things you don't actually need.
Yeah I’ve only ran businesses not started them so I suppose it’s new to me. The business I ran were already established that I took over…

I’m trying to be calculated how I go about it and was hoping Skydio being newer to the enterprise scene would be a great company to grow with, but like you said I’m potentially not their customer.

I’m hoping to offer inspections, mapping and project updates for clients so it sounds like going to have to start learning Pix4D, Drone Deploy or DJI Terra instead.

I was shocked to find out that some features are only available to enterprise users, which means you need an enterprise account. Then after getting an enterprise account to unlock these features you have to pay $1499 per drone per year!
I have a Skydio 2 that I love, but I also hate that they have some basic features locked out most of which you can do by paying the $1500 a year extortion..

Standard on DJI drones but missing from Skydio 2: Point of Interest, The ability to lock on objects other than people & vehicles(Spotlight), Night flying, Turn off obstacle avoidance,

Would it be a fair observation to say Skydio is focused on a niche market of (primarily) adventure folks who like to film themselves and their exploits? I notice the Keyframes recent addition could be seen by many as a way of bridging that POI gap. I think it’s also fair to say the Skydio 2/2+ does a much better job of active track than any other drone on the market. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: NG Wildman
This sounds like total BS...if true .. they are out if their mind!

Wouldn't this conversation be better suited in one of the available groups like this?

We've discussed it at length there.... Skydio is the best tracking drone hands down but because of the feature omissions it can't compete with DJI as a straight camera drone. I look at this thread, posted under general discussions as more of an informational tread for DJI users.

I think that if Skydio keeps their eye on the consumer market and doesn't go completely toward commercial drones, that the Skydio 3 may finally meld the best tracking technology with a drone that can do real camera work. Skydio's last couple of additions..... Keyframes and Longer Range have made some baby steps toward that goal. Skydio's existence and success gives DJI something to reach for to stay ahead.

What I’m hearing you say is that Skydio’s pricing is unacceptable to “you.” You want to be an enterprise customer but don’t want to pay those annual fees. As we have heard time again, it all comes down to how you use your drone. I suspect that there may be some Skydio customers who may be doing very well with their business model and have no problem at all paying the annual fees. I’m not enterprise potential and have no idea what those stated features could be used for in a business model, nor how much money they may allow me to earn. But let’s just hypothetically say as an example, that some company wants to charge me $20,000 annually for “certain” feature fees, but with those features I could earn $100,000+ a year. Would I pay the fees? Without question! Would I pay the fees without first having the customers signed on? Foolhardy. Good luck with your business, and keep safe and happy flying!

Reactions: 4006448
It's the new business model. Their trying to tap into your business income. Just greed.
What the software costs is irrelevant, it's all about how much income can a business generate using the software. Then the software price is determined. They may as well say, we want 20% of any monies you generate using it.
Hopefully their greed will bite them where the sun doesnt shine.

Reactions: SoCal2S and Meta4
What Skydio needs to concentrate on is not more $$$$ features, but getting the machine to fly under pilot control. No serious pilot is going pay those outragioius prices for a toy drone that only tracks .

Manual control is absolutely worthless, so you're giving up any real cinematic moves. Tracking is not going to be 100% of any productions shots. For that matter, even the tracking is all over the place at times.

Makes no sense to buy a machine that only has tracking abilities, which is at best 20% of the average users needs. Also before upgrading the flight abilities, get rid of the worthless phone interface and dump the toy transmitter, it's embarrassing even for a Parrot drone.

Finally, $1400 a year (the price of a drone) is absolute crazy - I thought we were getting away from those DJI tactics by buying a USA drone - but I guess not!

Mike

Last edited:
They are leaning hard on the blue certification, sounds like they are willing to lose consumers to target agencies.

What Skydio needs to concentrate on is not more $$$$ features, but getting the machine to fly under pilot control. No serious pilot is going pay those outragioius prices for a toy drone that only tracks .

Manual control is absolutely worthless, so you're giving up any real cinematic moves. Tracking is not going to be 100% of any productions shots. For that matter, even the tracking is all over the place at times.

Makes no sense to buy a machine that only has tracking abilities, which is at best 20% of the average users needs. Also before upgrading the flight abilities, get rid of the worthless phone interface and dump the toy transmitter, it's embarrassing even for a Parrot drone.

Finally, $1400 a year (the price of a drone) is absolute crazy - I thought we were getting away from those DJI tactics by buying a USA drone - but I guess not!

Mike
dont think its made of getting those cinematic shots, or direct pilot control. Its a niche drone that has its uses. Its alos not aimed at the average user that would only use 20% of the features. Why would such a person buy that.
i have on and am configuring it to be flown using eye tracking hardware by a quadriplegic pilot and its great for that. I cant see me getting this to work with DJI, although i will be trying soon
My issue with the yearly subscription is that they wouldnt even sell me a drone (Skydio 2+) in Australia without the yearly cost and features i dont need for my project

The American way, Sigh. Well this is what Adobe did with all of their products a few years back with Photoshop. Cant buy the program anymore, it's subscription only. Everyone bitched, complained, said they would lose customers but at the end of the day, they just said they were a professional program, it was never meant for mass market armatures. Bottom line not a secret that subscription plans make a whole lot of money even if they lose a few loyal customers. Skydio sounds like they are on the same path. $$$$.

Plus, didnt Skydio get some huge mulit-million dollar contract for the government recently? That could explaine why they are moving to pro consumer side of things.

Reactions: SoCal2S
A few friends of mine made the mistake and bought a couple of these - they are a tottal joke the protocol allows mostly the drone to fly 80% of the time the thing is all over the place when you try to fly it, eliminating it for any professional work. It's a joke!

So I own an X2E with the thermal camera. For the price point, it’s disappointing. The arms have detent pins to help them lock in place and use friction clamps. It’s bulky and unnecessary. Additionally, the arms will swivel 360deg without a small plastic stopper. On the 5th flight this stopper sheered off with little to no pressure. And the “controller” is just a Samsung S10 inside of a very creaky plastic housing. The joysticks are subpar and the whole thing squeaks when gripped. Overall, it can fly great autonomously. But the software is not as intuitive as DJI and the thermal camera provides no temperature mapping. It’s very low quality. If you look around Skydio seems to have swindled the government into their drones. The only thing going for them is the autonomy.

Reactions: Torque
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka