DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skyfill: software for filling in the sky in spherical panoramas

Dr. Sybren

Reactions
Hey all!

I'm sure that I'm not alone in my love for the spherical panoramas that the Mavic 2 (and maybe others as well) can shoot. For the best image quality I stitch the photos myself, but then I'm left with this black sky. If you have suffered this too, suffer no more, as I've just released my own bit of software to fill the skies, called Skyfill.

It takes your photo from this:
skyfill-demo-source.jpg

To this:
skyfill-demo-skyfilled-blend-80.jpg

It's Open Source, and pre-built binaries are available for Windows, Linux, and MacOS. Check it out at Sybren A. Stüvel / Skyfill · GitLab where there is some documentation and the software itself.

Have fun with it!

In the DJI go app is there a panorama quickshot or something? I don't know how to get the pictures to use this software but really want to try it

In the DJI Go app you can set the photo mode to Panorama and then choose Sphere. It's in the normal mode, not in Quickshot. The drone will stitch them together, but also store the individual photos so that you can stitch them at a higher resolution (and with different colours, because RAW).

In the DJI Go app you can set the photo mode to Panorama and then choose Sphere. It's in the normal mode, not in Quickshot. The drone will stitch them together, but also store the individual photos so that you can stitch them at a higher resolution (and with different colours, because RAW).

I believe this is just the Mavic Air. Not sure about the Mavic 2 but on the Mavic Pro you have to use a third party app like Litchi or autopilot in which case you have to stitch them in post.

I believe this is just the Mavic Air. Not sure about the Mavic 2 but on the Mavic Pro you have to use a third party app like Litchi or autopilot in which case you have to stitch them in post.

This also works on the Mavic 2 Pro (which is the one that I have). And Skyfill will work on anything that lets you stitch the photos yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: brett8883
Hi, Came over to this yearly old post, but the GitLab link does not allow downloading the .exe file anymore?

Thanks for your interest! It should work now. If it doesn't, please point me to the page that contains the broken link and I'll go around and fix things.

Update: I've written a little article about my entire workflow, from shooting with the drone to publishing the panorama on my website: Drone Panoramas | dr. Sybren

My pleasure!

The skyfill-v1.5-darwin.zip is for macOS, just follow the download link on Skyfill | dr. Sybren

There is no tutorial because I don’t own a mac or know how to use one, so I can’t write a tutorial for it.

Can anyone who has used it give their review on SKYFILL?

I'm interested in a way to fill the sky in my older drone panos. The current Fly app with my Mini 3 Pro now does the job by taking the zenith photos but I also like the mirrorball option.

I have downloaded skyfill-v1.5-windows.zip which includes skyfill.exe and README.md but don't have a reader or converter for a .md file (and don't understand why it isn't a .txt file). I'm a little nervous about executing an unknown .exe file without being able to at least read the readme file. Would appreciate it someone could post what it says and their experience with the software. Thanks

which includes skyfill.exe and README.md but don't have a reader or converter for a .md file (and don't understand why it isn't a .txt file).
Files with extension .md (markdown) are in plain text, and can be opened in any text editor.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka