DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Slow Motion (Mavic 2 Zoom)

Pegy22

Reactions
I set the 120 fps for recording. When I check the created mp4 file properties, it shows frame rate: 30 fps. ?! (However, it works with 60 fps) Thanks for any help.

Reactions: E90RAW
I set the 120 fps for recording. When I check the created mp4 file properties, it shows frame rate: 30 fps. ?! (However, it works with 60 fps) Thanks for any help.
Does it play back in slow motion though? A video recorded in 120 FPS but played back at 30 FPS is 4x slow motion. That’s how slow motion works.

You wouldn’t playback a video at 120 FPS. Most screens can’t even show videos at 120 FPS. DJI has probably encoded the 120 FPS video to 30 FPS so that it will play back slow without needing to be reencoded. If you have a 60 FPS timeline you are trying to put the video on and get 2x slow motion then you’ll just need interpret the video as 60 FPS in your video editor.

Also, what resolution? M2Z only does 120fps at 1080p...

Of course the resolution is set to permit 120 fps.
The question is not about the playback. I didn't even tried that.
Do you really think that was recorded with 120fps despite it shows 30fps?

When recorded with 60fps the file properties shows: 60fps.
When recorded with 120fps the file properties shows: 30fps.

Now I tried the playback and the recording is not with 120fps!

Last edited:
What are you using to view the properties?

Why not try playback and see what it looks like. pretty good place to start.

I did try the playback. The recording is definitely not 120fps.
So it doesn’t play back in slow motion is that what you are saying?

The videos from the Mavic recorded in 120 FPS do not get encoded at 120 FPS I know that for certain. They get encoded at a lower frame rate and play back takes longer than the time it took to record them. So if a video recorded 120 FPS took 10 seconds to record it will take 20 or 40 seconds to play back depending on if it is encoded at 30 or 60 FPS. Which one I’m not certain but it does make sense to me that it would be encoded at 30 FPS as that’s much more common than 60 FPS as a timeline frame rate. All the frames are there it just takes longer to play them back. You should see the video appear to be obviously slower when you play it though.

oK, lets get some more details so we can figure out whats happening.

What are your right clicking on/playing back on? Your mobile device?

Are you checking the file off the SD card or from the Go4 device?

Reactions: brett8883
see post #9 above. what you are seeing is normal.

With the MA2, whether you shoot 120 or 240fps doesn't matter, it will still play @ your timeline framerate. It will just be slowed down accordingly.

You mean that recordings with 120fps appears in the file properties as 30fps? Weird!
Correct.
If you select 120fps, it encodes the final video at 30fps. And you can confirm. Take a 10second video at 120fps. Download it and insert it into your video editor. You will see the video length is 40seconds. (1/4 actual speed)

And no idea why they opted to output 120fps this way and 60fps the other way. sorry.

Correct.
If you select 120fps, it encodes the final video at 30fps. And you can confirm. Take a 10second video at 120fps. Download it and insert it into your video editor. You will see the video length is 40seconds. (1/4 actual speed)

And no idea why they opted to output 120fps this way and 60fps the other way. sorry.
I understand. Thank you for your effort!

I got it. Thank you all for your help!

I tried now with all fps' (24, 25, 30, 48, 50, 60, 120) and only the 120 appears "wrongly".
In a video editor you can though create from 120 fps records, any speed you like (24-120 fps).

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000