DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Slow speed in "P" mode

maggior

Reactions
I did a couple of flights this morning and during the second one I noticed that the drone seemed to be flying slow. I generally fly in P mode. Today I used Sport mode a couple of times. I have a MA2 with the SC.

On my first flight of about 20 min all was normal. I brought it in, put in a new battery, and restarted DJI Fly because my previous flight info was on the map and I wanted to clear it. During my second flight, I was flying straight out to an area and it seemed to be taking forever. I notice my speed was 2.1 meters per second. Once I got to my destination I flew it straight back in Sport mode and it flew FAST as expected. Once I had it back, I put it back in P mode and sure enough it was back to 2.1 mps.

My flight data shows DETOUR when in P mode, but it seems to do that all of the time. The start of my flight had me flying away from the sun so I don't think it is an APAS issue.

I'll be more aware of this as I fly more, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if this is a known issue.

Input appreciated!

You need to define "slow".
What was the MPH in the display? Obviously wind has a lot to do with it: what were the winds during your flight?

Reactions: maggior
You need to define "slow".
What was the MPH in the display? Obviously wind has a lot to do with it: what were the winds during your flight?

Not windy at all...just a normal breeze. It was going 2.1 meters per second, which google tells me is 4.5 mph. When I started droning there was never an option to change to imperial units so I've gotten used to measuring distance by meters.

Just now I tried to recreate the scenario and it all worked fine. Even C (Cinematic/Tripod) mode is faster than it was going earlier...when it was slow it was going 2.1 mps, C mode goes double that!

Yet when I put it into Sport mode it was capable of going fast.

Something to keep an eye on I suppose.

BTW, I'm running the current software on the drone, controller, and batteries.

Funny you should mention this.......though my only explanation is to "reboot" ie cycle the switch. I was flying my Mavic zoom as if it were in P mode and all was well until I looked at the switch to place it in S mode when I saw that is was in Tripod. I put the switch in P mode and no change in flight speed. I put it back in Tripod and got the definite slow down with all sensors forming a circle around my drone. I put it back in P mode and then S and it functioned normally in both so I am just concluding that while there might have been a problem, it was solved by cycling the switch.

WDK

Reactions: maggior
Funny you should mention this.......though my only explanation is to "reboot" ie cycle the switch. I was flying my Mavic zoom as if it were in P mode and all was well until I looked at the switch to place it in S mode when I saw that is was in Tripod. I put the switch in P mode and no change in flight speed. I put it back in Tripod and got the definite slow down with all sensors forming a circle around my drone. I put it back in P mode and then S and it functioned normally in both so I am just concluding that while there might have been a problem, it was solved by cycling the switch.

WDK

Huh, interesting. I tried changing the modes with the switch and it didn't change anything regarding being slow as molasses in P mode. If it happens again I'll just bring it back in and restart it. I'm thinking it was some sort of glitch.

In your scenario, I read someplace that no matter how the speed switch is positioned the drone will start out in P mode when it is powered on.

Thanks for chiming in.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98