DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Slow USB charging, it might be the cable.

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

I was charging something the other day and couldn't find my normal cable so I just used the first one I put my hand on.
I then noticed that the charge rate was much slower than normal (I have a USB ammeter permanently connected to the actual charger), the only thing that had changed was the cable. I had previously got the impression that for a given device and charger the charge rates could be distinctly different but never bothered lookiing into why. Fed up with the slow charge I found another cable, increased charge rate, oh!.
After digging out and trying several other cables it seems that the cables themselves have some influence on the charging rate.
Allowing for connection types and charge-and-data-capable vs charge-only-cables I had always assumed that one USB cable was very much like every other USB cable.
Apparently they are not.

Reactions: CareyL and Cw4bray
Illogical as it is, I've seen it too. The cable is totally passive but if its resistance is too high it will get hot with high current, so there must be some way of detecting that and regulating the current. At least that's how I've always explained it to myself.

Wide variety in cables. Using a volt/amp meter will show the difference. I have cables that charge at as little as 1/2 amp up to 3 amp. You need one that will handle 2amp for fast charge. The one supplied with the drone will do it. The thickness of the cable is not always a sign of fast cable. Try a few and separate the ones that show fast blinking on the charger. Mark them for later use drone charging. A USB V/A meter is inexpensive if you want to really know what you have.

PS: even a too light cable will not overheat, just not carry the current load required.

Reactions: CareyL
yes sir you are correct certain cables will charge much much slower you'll know right away because the four lights on the bottom or top of your mavic will sequentially light up slower on a cable that's charging not as fast if you're using a good cable you'll notice they'll be quite rapid compared to a slower one. The part that goes into the wall also will affect it. :)

Reactions: Capt KO
I was charging something the other day and couldn't find my normal cable so I just used the first one I put my hand on.
I then noticed that the charge rate was much slower than normal (I have a USB ammeter permanently connected to the actual charger), the only thing that had changed was the cable. I had previously got the impression that for a given device and charger the charge rates could be distinctly different but never bothered lookiing into why. Fed up with the slow charge I found another cable, increased charge rate, oh!.
After digging out and trying several other cables it seems that the cables themselves have some influence on the charging rate.
Allowing for connection types and charge-and-data-capable vs charge-only-cables I had always assumed that one USB cable was very much like every other USB cable.
Apparently they are not.
USB 3 cables generally speaking will perform better. Good cables sometimes are marked with their capacity or rating.

I have a DJI OSMO Mobile 2, the cable that came with it works great. I use it to charge my RC, and battery's and its quick.
Used other cables, that are much longer.; and takes much longer, never had time to find out why until now. Thanks, getting more short cables and what was suggested.

Whist the length will add a bit to the resistance I do not think it is the culprit in these cases. Some of my long cables pass 'large' currents whilst some of the short ones pass only small currents. I think, for want of a more accurate description, it's the quality of the cable that matters most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake