DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Slow Yaw to the right

pmshop

Reactions
I searched some discussions on this but no resolve from what I read.
I have the latest firmware, refreshed firmware, calibrated controller, calibrated compass, calibrated IMU and still have the slow yaw to the right.

Any ideas out there?

Any idea as to what changed in between now and the last time all worked as expected? Did you crash or drop your drone?

Can you take off, hover in place, and see it yaw? If so, does it still slow yaw after removing the mobile device from the remote controller?

This has been an ongoing issue from the start.
I just didn't have the time to address it with so many events I have been capturing with it.

That is when I see it the most, hovering in place trying to get setup for a sunrise/ sunset.
And it is not constant. once it goes a certain degree away from where I set it, it stops.
I have not tried removing the mobile device from the controller.
Would it help the diagnosis by letting you know it is a non - GPS iPad?

That is when I see it the most, hovering in place trying to get setup for a sunrise/ sunset.
So, it won't always/ever yaw if you take off, ascend 10 feet, and let it hover in place?

Would it help the diagnosis by letting you know it is a non - GPS iPad?
The remote controller can be negatively affected if magnets get too close to the sticks -- like the magnets in Apple devices. As long as the left side of your iPad is not touching the bottom of the remote controller, then it shouldn't cause any problems.

So, it won't always/ever yaw if you take off, ascend 10 feet, and let it hover in place?

The remote controller can be negatively affected if magnets get too close to the sticks -- like the magnets in Apple devices. As long as the left side of your iPad is not touching the bottom of the remote controller, then it shouldn't cause any problems.

I will have to check 10ft or so.
But it always YAWs at 150-400AGL with little to no wind according to UAV Forecast and the artificial horizon in DJI GO 4.

And, I use a MavMount for my 5th gen iPad.

I will have to check 10ft or so.
But it always YAWs at 150-400AGL with little to no wind according to UAV Forecast and the artificial horizon in DJI GO 4.

And, I use a MavMount for my 5th gen iPad.

Flip the iPad or pull it away from the controller with a longer cable.

Or maybe there’s geomagnetic interference where you fly. Do you recalibrate the compass at home or on sites at different locations? And, does it always act the same at different flying sites?

Flip the iPad or pull it away from the controller with a longer cable.

Or maybe there’s geomagnetic interference where you fly. Do you recalibrate the compass at home or on sites at different locations? And, does it always act the same at different flying sites?

I almost re-calibrate the compass on both of my craft everywhere.
For some reason with both, I hit a magnetic disturbance and I either have to re-calibrate to proceed or reboot the craft since it will not ARM.

Wish it was like the Spark...move the Spark or just fly away from the take off interference.
Error goes away.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMann

YAWs at 10AGL

iPad is not touching the controller at all - I use Mav Mount

Can you upload one of your flight logs here so we can check out the data?

After reading several similar threads and my own experience I thing there’s a software calibration issue with the Mavic air controller. My Mavic Air constantly drifted backward like I was pulling back on the right joystick but I wasn’t touching it. Another op stated his Air did a slide to the right and data showed his right joystick was moved right even though he stated he wasn’t touching it. These were two right joystick anomaly’s. Perhaps this is a similar problem but with the left joystick. When you do a controller calibration I assume the adjustments are stored in software in a table. Perhaps in all of these cases the calibration table is becoming corrupted.

Another op stated his Air did a slide to the right and data showed his right joystick was moved right even though he stated he wasn’t touching it. These were two right joystick anomaly’s. Perhaps this is a similar problem but with the left joystick.

I had an early morning flight today. Went straight-up to 300m (no it is not against the law where I am), snapped some pics and came right back. Mid way through the descent, the Air yawed first to the left, and then to the right. The right yaw was more pronounced; I would say about 45 degrees at least if not more. The whole time I had the left stick fully down. I just reviewed the flight log in AirData and it does show the left stick being moved first to the left and then to the right. Like I said, I had the left stick all the way down. How are these stick inputs being registered without actual stick input?

How are these stick inputs being registered without actual stick input?
I've never seen a flight log that contained bogus stick inputs, so that's probably not the case. It's more likely that Airdata is showing you bogus data, you're not reading the data correctly, or you're not recalling the flight correctly.

...or you're not recalling the flight correctly.
I don't know about the rest of what you said msinger; but that is not it. Straight up, snap pictures, and straight down. Not difficult to recall at all.

So, it's not possible that you moved the left stick to the left/right while holding it down? It seems like it would be an easy thing to accidentally do since the stick doesn't lock into the center position.

msinger, you are a great guy (or gal); one of the most helpful ones in this forum. I won't argue this with you. Let's leave it at that.

msinger, you are a great guy (or gal); one of the most helpful ones in this forum. I won't argue this with you. Let's leave it at that.
No worries. I was just trying to help out. If you want a more definitive answer, you'll need to post your flight log.

Igot exactly the same problem,, have you tried to test it with the DJI simulator? Idid,, and the problem are the same,, in the simulator ican see the stick moving/shaking and the drone turning without me touching the controller,, the problem are in the controller and not with the surrounding phone's etc,, will send it back to DJI.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60