DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Small crash leads to disconnected/broken ribbon cable!

Reactions
I had a small crash due to a propeller issue, got it up 9m, prop flew off and it came crashing down. I stupidly attempted to catch it with one hand and broke 2 fingernails, hurt like a b*t*h.

Long story short, I have lost all control of gimbal. It will not even move on a gimbal calibration at all but Mavic flies perfect and can still take photos and videos but obviously without stabilization the quality is terrible. I'm assuming the ribbon cable is the issue based on youtube videos I have seen.

Sending it back to DJI tomorrow, I will document the process with a timeline and hope for the best!

DJI Repairs and maintenance, its all up to them now, I hope this doesn't take more than 14 days...

Same exact thing happened to me, flew perfectly and got video transmission but the gimbal was broke and the camera wouldn't move at all and found out that the ribbon was broken. I also felt like after it crashed one of the arms felt a little bent but I might have just been paranoid but I described that in the dji claim. Thank god i have dji refresh and I sent it back last Monday (5/8) they received it Wednesday (5/10). Received my next email Thursday (5/11) and told me it was going to cost me $79 aka my first claim (I'm guessing they totalled it?) and they gave me a link to pay thru PayPal (which I think kinda sucks, why can't you just pay dji directly?). Didn't hear anything on Friday and called dji and they said I should expect an email confirming payment and shipping details of my new mavic. Let me tell you I have been checking my email about every 15 mins since then haha. Can't wait to get my (I guess new) mavic back!

Reactions: Former Member
Same exact thing happened to me, flew perfectly and got video transmission but the gimbal was broke and the camera wouldn't move at all and found out that the ribbon was broken. I also felt like after it crashed one of the arms felt a little bent but I might have just been paranoid but I described that in the dji claim. Thank god i have dji refresh and I sent it back last Monday (5/8) they received it Wednesday (5/10). Received my next email Thursday (5/11) and told me it was going to cost me $79 aka my first claim (I'm guessing they totalled it?) and they gave me a link to pay thru PayPal (which I think kinda sucks, why can't you just pay dji directly?). Didn't hear anything on Friday and called dji and they said I should expect an email confirming payment and shipping details of my new mavic. Let me tell you I have been checking my email about every 15 mins since then haha. Can't wait to get my (I guess new) mavic back!

Are you in the USA?

Northern California so not too far from dji's repair center in Cerritos, Ca? I think? Lucky in that aspect I guess

Yes you're lucky to be living so close and it taking only 2 days to get there. Us poor east coasters take a week or more just to get to Carson, CA via UPS ground.

Why does it take so long for them to fix stuff? I see many complaints about it.

DJI has parts shortages, and they get alot of volume of repairs especially Refreshes where people just break something minor like a bracket on their gimbal and send it in. Instead of DJI taking an hour and repairing the gimbal, they send a refurbed drone, and that takes a few days to assess damage, collect payment, change the serial number on your Refresh, pack it up and get it shipped. Lucky for people on the west coast, not so lucky if you're on the east where shipping times are 7-10 days.

I lost control of my camera due to a crash. Ordered a new ribbon cable on Ebay and changed the cable myself. Not difficult....just need a lot of patience. Great tutorials on youtube on how to do it. Found no physical damage to the old cable, but drone works perfectly now.

May 15th @ 12pm: I filled out the DJI Global Technical Support Form which I received via email from DJI and I shipped/returned my Mavic Pro and controller using UPS, shipping was paid for by DJI as long as you use the shipping label that they email you. I was also advised by DJI to sync all my flights using the DJI Go 4 application.

May 23rd @ 10am: I am notified via UPS email that my package has been delivered to DJI.

May 23rd @ 12pm: I contact DJI Support using phone # 1-818-235-0789 and speak to a customer service representative "Carmela" who confirms receipt of my shipment and informs me that I will receive an email within 2-3 business days with an update regarding inspection results and/or costs associated to repair the Mavic.

May 25th @ 9pm: I receive email from DJI Repairs informing me that my Mavic Pro has been repaired. The broken ribbon cable was covered under the standard warranty and my Mavic will be shipped out of their warehouse within 3 business days.

Updates to follow...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest