DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Small tablets fit the Mavic controller

This is an excellent video and about half way through the guy shows how to get a small tablet to work with the Mavic controller. Agree someone at DJI forgot to document this.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

i'm glad i looked before i posted this video...i just saw it cuz i'm subscribed to him and was about to post it

So strange that DJI itself does not show or discuss this option anywhare i've seen.
Thinking of getting a dedicated ipad 2 cellulair for my Mavic.

I'm surprised that this is the first we are hearing of this too! Great news!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think it would be really difficult to fly the Mavic like that, your hands would be all over the tablet, inadvertently pressing buttons, I'll be sticking with my Motorola Nexus 6, I reckon it's the largest practicable screen to use attached to the controller.

A few days ago... someone (here or facebook) Posted a video of an ipad mini being able to fit into the controller.
This video (Drone Valley) however explains it much better.

I think it would be really difficult to fly the Mavic like that, your hands would be all over the tablet, inadvertently pressing buttons, I'll be sticking with my Motorola Nexus 6, I reckon it's the largest practicable screen to use attached to the controller.
Or a Nexus 7 given the use of the lower USB port as the 6 I think is a little fat in the middle?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I tried it with my Mini 4.....not good. It's EXTREMELY uncomfortable to hold the RC with the Mini in it, and really hard to manipulate the controls. I would much prefer one or the tablet holders popping up.

Looks no bigger than the original phantome remotes to me.
But comments noted, think i will walk into a store with my controller and check it out hands on before i buy a mini 2.

Or a Nexus 7 given the use of the lower USB port as the 6 I think is a little fat in the middle?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I was told that there are rubber grips in the slots, and there is enough leeway to allow the (10 mm in the middle, tapering to the edges) Nexus 6 to fit. I'll find out soon enough, maybe in two weeks time:), otherwise it's out with the dremel..

Reactions: mikeroycollins
Some people on Youtube have gotten iPad mini's to fit

Not sure how big the Nexus is, but that should give you an idea of what will fit. iPad mini looked like the absolute max to me though.

Good observation and analysis Randall. Thanks for sharing! Was that an ipad mini you were using?

Thanks but I just found the post from a Facebook posting. Thought I'd share and let others decide if this is worth a try before they invest in a 3d printed widget.

There's an Apple logo on the mini tablet in the video so assume a mini iPad. My Mavic hasn't shipped yet but once I get it I'll see whether my iPhone 6S+ or my iPad mini 2 works best (or as a standby should I forget to charge my primary before flying that day).

This is an excellent video and about half way through the guy shows how to get a small tablet to work with the Mavic controller. Agree someone at DJI forgot to document this.

Yes, the JakeS in the video below was the first to make this discovery available to us on the forums.

I tried it with my Mini 4.....not good. It's EXTREMELY uncomfortable to hold the RC with the Mini in it, and really hard to manipulate the controls.
Agreed. I found the same with my iPad Mini 4. I don't think many people are going to fly like this after trying it.

Some people on Youtube have gotten iPad mini's to fit

Not sure how big the Nexus is, but that should give you an idea of what will fit. iPad mini looked like the absolute max to me though.
It's the maximum size quoted in the Mavic manual (160mm) but a little thicker at 10mm. I can't see a tablet being useable, how do you reach the sticks?

It's easy to reach the sticks. The problem is that you'll cover the top corners of the tablet screen with your arms or you'll need to hold the remote controller with an even more unnatural grip in order to prevent your arms from covering the screen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S