DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Small vs large crystal sky? 5.5 vs 7.8?

dannyw777

Reactions
1.Please need a poll or opinions on the smaller crystal sky verses the larger one?

2. Does the smaller one with the 4x6 format hinder people watching, verses the larger one with the 16x9 format rendering obviously have the advantage ?

3. Or is that just a setting with post editing the formats?

Actually, the smaller 5.5" device is in 16:9 format and the larger 7.85" Crystal Sky monitor is in 4:3 aspect. What is captured by the aircraft is still the full resolution of your camera setting selection.

Reactions: Randall
Quite happy with the 5.5 and the mount for the mavic from DJI. Far better than the iPad and iPhone.

Is the larger one even available

Not at the moment, there's obviously a problem with manufacturing as even the HB has been out of stock for months, it was available for preorder for a couple of weeks late June with a month wait and mine shipped at the start of Aug.

I like the brightness and endurance in sun/heat, but I really miss Litchi and it's waypoint programming as I'm not a fan of Go's having to fly the route first.

Last edited:
Not at the moment, there's obviously a problem with manufacturing as even the HB has been out of stock for months, it was available for preorder for a couple of weeks late June with a month wait and mine shipped at the start of Aug.

I like the brightness and endurance in sun/heat, but I really miss Litchi and it's waypoint programming as I'm not a fan of Go's having to fly the route first.
I'm still waiting for my first drone to arrive but obviously I have been following the forum. Can you explain a bit more about litchi way points assume this is better than the dji software and that if you buy a crystal sky you lose it?

If I may hijack the topic. Started looking again at CrystalSky and today I noticed one thing, that I think was not there in the beginning. There's a comment
Quote: *Monitor mounting bracket recommended. The Mavic Pro and Osmo series gimbal cameras (excluding the Osmo Mobile) are only compatible with 5.5" Crystalsky monitors

Does this mean that the bigger monitor will not be compatible with my Mavic?

Can you explain a bit more about litchi way points assume this is better than the dji software and that if you buy a crystal sky you lose it?

In Go4 you have to physically fly the bird to each waypoint to set a course/mission, Litchi allows setting waypoint missions from maps without turning the drone on, it's probably more accurate set physically but it would be great if we had either option. And yes, you lose Litchi on the CS as DJI don't allow 3rd party apps.

If I may hijack the topic. Started looking again at CrystalSky and today I noticed one thing, that I think was not there in the beginning. There's a comment
Quote: *Monitor mounting bracket recommended. The Mavic Pro and Osmo series gimbal cameras (excluding the Osmo Mobile) are only compatible with 5.5" Crystalsky monitors

Does this mean that the bigger monitor will not be compatible with my Mavic?

I have the larger 7.8" and it works fine with my mavic, by incompatible they might mean the video feed is 16:9 but the 7.8" screen is 4:3.

Last edited:
I have the 5.5" mainly use it to adjust setting in the app as it is great in direct sunlight, but here is my trick, It has a full size HDMI out @ 1080p, I bought a cheap 13" 12 VDC LCD TV ( No Glare, Light as a feather ) TV with a full size HDMI In, I power it using a portable Mini Max 12,000 mah charger ( Lasts all day ), plug the Crystal Sky into the TV, set up a small folding table & beach chair, pour my favorite beverage and fly away. The picture on the TV is great and allows for third party viewing as well.

Last edited:
In Go4 you have to physically fly the bird to each waypoint to set a course/mission, Litchi allows setting waypoint missions from maps without turning the drone on, it's probably more accurate set physically but it would be great if we had either option. And yes, you lose Litchi on the CS as DJI don't allow 3rd party apps.

I have the larger 7.8" and it works fine with my mavic, by incompatible they might mean the video feed is 16:9 but the 7.8" screen is 4:3.
Thanks for the info on waypoints very helpful

I went wit the 5.5 but after 2 weeks of using I wish I baught the larger screen already thinking of upgrading

I went wit the 5.5 but after 2 weeks of using I wish I baught the larger screen already thinking of upgrading
I know it's always individual perception, but what didn't you like? What mount were you using ? Was the detail on the screen to small? I looked at the bigger screen and it just looks big and heavy and so I've been thinking about the 5.5 when my drone arrives.

Don't sell it yet! I've come to the conclusion there are no 7.85" screens available anywhere in the western world :eek: :rolleyes:

I’m using the 3D printed mount from evolution 3d it’s a great mount easy to put in and take off. As far as the screen details no complains it’s the same size as my iPhone 6 + but so much brighter.

I’m using the 3D printed mount from evolution 3d it’s a great mount easy to put in and take off. As far as the screen details no complains it’s the same size as my iPhone 6 + but so much brighter.
I am using the same mount for the Mavic, and their P3P & P4P mount as well

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo