DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller Acting Up

RussOnTheRoad

Reactions
I have a Mavic 2 Zoom and Smart Controller. Yesterday I created a waypoint mission using the satellite view map. Today, tapping on either the satellite view or hybrid view for the map does one of two things: nothing, or nothing then a few seconds later the screen goes black follwed by the SC returning to the Safety Tips screen that you see at the beginning after you tap Go Fly.

I started the SC first, then the drone. I'm getting a recalibrate compass message but I think I was getting that yesterday too. I cached the map of the area I am in. I did that yesterday and again today. Both can be found on the controller.

I also just noticed that I can load the waypoint mission I saved on the SC in map view, but the waypoints disappear when I try to switch to satellite or hybrid view. If I then switch back to standard view only 3 of the 8 waypoints in the mission appear. I can reload the mission and all waypoints reappear. The bigger problem here it would seem is not being able to get satellite or hybrid views at all.

Am I missing something? Is it time to do a factory reset of the controller?

EDIT: Looks like it might have been a bad internet connection today, but do I even need Internet for satellite view if I have cached the map?

Also, Go4 has issued a "not responding" message several times today.

Last edited:
EDIT: Looks like it might have been a bad internet connection today, but do I even need Internet for satellite view if I have cached the map?

Also, Go4 has issued a "not responding" message several times today.
Satellite view works off GPS which does not require internet.

is SC and drone firmware up to date? I'd try deleting GO4 and reinstalling.

Satellite view works off GPS which does not require internet.

is SC and drone firmware up to date? I'd try deleting GO4 and reinstalling.
Thanks. Firmware should be up to date. I think reinstalling GO4 may be a good idea, but I think what you said about GPS is maybe half true. Yes, GPS works without Internet. This explains why a hand-held GPS unit will acquire location data in the middle of nowhere where there is no cell service or Internet. Maps, however, work on the Internet. Maps will display when you have Internet but no GPS. Without Internet to provide map data your cell phone would show a blue dot on a blank screen without a map. GPS location data (coordinates) works without maps, and maps without GPS, but for our cell phones to display where we are on a map, to put that little blue dot on top of the map on our screens, that requires both Internet as well as satellite GPS signals unless the map has been previously cached. Map data can be cached because it is static. It doesn't change. GPS data is dynamic, always changing. Therefore it cannot be cached.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake